mac os x 10.5.6 stuck at apple logo

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

RetroGamerCX
Student Driver

mac os x 10.5.6 stuck at apple logo

Post by RetroGamerCX »

hi, it's been a while since i didn't make any mac os x virtual machines, so i decided to make one today.
however...
when i try to boot from the cd to install it, it doesn't even go to the verbose boot screen, it gets totally stuck at the apple logo.
here's my config file:

Code: Select all

@echo off

set PATH=%PATH%C:\Program Files\qemu;
 qemu-system-ppc ^
 -enable-sync-profile ^
 -m 2G ^
 -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" ^
 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" ^
 -prom-env "boot-args?=-v" ^
 -machine mac99,via=pmu ^
 -display sdl,gl=off ^
 -device ati-vga,model=rage128p,vgamem_mb=16 ^
 -g 1280x720x32 ^
 -cpu g4 ^
 -smp 1,cores=1,threads=1,sockets=1,dies=1 ^
 -L pc-bios ^
 -device pci-ohci,id=ohci ^
 -device usb-kbd,bus=ohci.0 ^
 -device usb-mouse,bus=ohci.0 ^
 -device ich9-intel-hda ^
 -device hda-output ^
 -device rtl8139,netdev=net0,id=net0 ^
 -netdev user,id=net0 ^
 -drive format=raw,if=none,media=disk,id=hd,readonly=off,copy-on-read=on,file=C:\Users\enki2_ly\qemu\ppc.img ^
 -device ide-hd,drive=hd,bus=ide.0 ^
 -drive format=raw,if=none,media=cdrom,id=cd,readonly=on,copy-on-read=off,file=C:\Users\enki2_ly\Downloads\MACOSX10.5.6RetailISO.iso ^
 -device ide-cd,drive=cd,bus=ide.1 ^
 -boot d
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: mac os x 10.5.6 stuck at apple logo

Post by Cat_7 »

You can this much simpler command line first:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc ^
-m 2G ^
-machine mac99,via=pmu ^
-display sdl ^
-L pc-bios ^
-drive format=raw,media=disk,file=C:\Users\enki2_ly\qemu\ppc.img ^
-drive format=raw,media=cdrom,file=C:\Users\enki2_ly\Downloads\MACOSX10.5.6RetailISO.iso ^
-boot d
Best,
Cat_7
RetroGamerCX
Student Driver

Post by RetroGamerCX »

well, the code you sent obviously works, but do you have any ideas why mine doesn't? i assume it has something to do with the disk device options.
RetroGamerCX
Student Driver

Post by RetroGamerCX »

nope, it was the graphics card for some reason... even though the card i specified is what the real powermac g4 uses, it made the os hang at the boot screen...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

EDIT: it seems I did not see your post due to long editing time of mine ;-)

Nope, the drive entries seem OK.

It is the combination of -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" ^ and -device ati-vga,model=rage128p,vgamem_mb=16 ^ that stops boot.
If you set -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=false" it should boot.
Running Leopard without the vga_ndrv but with -device ati-vga,model=rage128p,vgamem_mb=16 makes Leopard extra slow. And you have only one resolution available.

Boot from CD doesn't doesn't seem to honour -prom-env "boot-args?=-v" ^.

Several settings in your file are redundant, as they are already default:

-prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" ^ (default)
-prom-env "auto-boot?=true" ^ (default)
-machine mac99,via=pmu ^ (only needed for Leopard)
-display sdl,gl=off ^
-device ati-vga,model=rage128p,vgamem_mb=16 ^
-g 1280x720x32 ^ (only relevant for openbios and initial grey screen)
-cpu g4 ^ (default for mac99)
-smp 1,cores=1,threads=1,sockets=1,dies=1 ^ (default)
-L pc-bios ^
-device pci-ohci,id=ohci ^ (default when ,via=pmu is used, leads to second controller)
-device usb-kbd,bus=ohci.0 ^ (default when ,via=pmu is used, leads to duplicate devices)
-device usb-mouse,bus=ohci.0 ^ (default when ,via=pmu is used, leads to duplicate devices)
-device ich9-intel-hda ^ (not supported)
-device hda-output ^ (not supported)
-device rtl8139,netdev=net0,id=net0 ^ (When omitted, the standard sungem is used which works ootb)
-netdev user,id=net0 ^
-drive format=raw,if=none,media=disk,id=hd,readonly=off,copy-on-read=on,file=C:\Users\enki2_ly\qemu\ppc.img ^
-device ide-hd,drive=hd,bus=ide.0 ^
-drive format=raw,if=none,media=cdrom,id=cd,readonly=on,copy-on-read=off,file=C:\Users\enki2_ly\Downloads\MACOSX10.5.6RetailISO.iso ^
-device ide-cd,drive=cd,bus=ide.1 ^
-boot d

Best,
Cat_7
RetroGamerCX
Student Driver

Post by RetroGamerCX »

thanks for the explanation, are there any configurations i can change to make it as close as possible to a real mac, though? why does the rage128p model makes mac os x slow even though it's the original gpu?
RetroGamerCX
Student Driver

Post by RetroGamerCX »

also, right now i just tried booting my (now finally installed) leopard with ati-vga,model=rage128p,vgamem_mb=128, and it looks pretty much the same in comparison with the original card, which i think it's cirrus. one thing i discovered that's kinda "sus" is that the system profiler says my graphics card is an "ATY", not an "ATI"...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ha,

Well, you get what's in the driver. Internally the card is actually called ATY not ATI. So it is correct.
why does the rage128p model makes mac os x slow even though it's the original gpu?
You might think that while Mac OS X cosmetically "sees" an ATI Card it also uses it. However: 1. The card is not fully emulated and 2: If it were, there still would be no connection between the graphics acceleration options of your host card and the emulated card. It all communicates over the slow basic vga. The option to use the qemu_ndrv (which you have to disable in favour of cosmetics) at least provides multiple resolutions and colour depths.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:09 am Ha,

Well, you get what's in the driver. Internally the card is actually called ATY not ATI. So it is correct.
why does the rage128p model makes mac os x slow even though it's the original gpu?
You might think that while Mac OS X cosmetically "sees" an ATI Card it also uses it. However: 1. The card is not fully emulated and 2: If it were, there still would be no connection between the graphics acceleration options of your host card and the emulated card. It all communicates over the slow basic vga. The option to use the qemu_ndrv (which you have to disable in favour of cosmetics) at least provides multiple resolutions and colour depths.

Best,
Cat_7
It's been a while since I was compiling qemu_ndrv last, but can't you change the "reported" card by modifying qemu_ndrv strings? This should be doable with a hex editor, no need for recompilation. It wouldn't change emulation, but it would report the "correct" graphics card in the profiler.