Basilisk II 32-bit and AppleTalk

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

matthoyt
Space Cadet

Basilisk II 32-bit and AppleTalk

Post by matthoyt »

Hey folks,

I'm a newbie to this emulation stuff (which may explain why I'm having problems ;) I own a G4 iMac running Tiger 10.4.11. I downloaded the 32-bit version of Basilisk II (October 2009 for 10.4 and up) running 7.6.1 and it seems to run fine on the G4, except for accessing a file server I set up on a raspberry pi on my local network. I've installed Open Transport fine onto this version of Basilisk. And installed AppleShare Client383. I can then add the file server to my desktop via the 'Chooser' on Basilisk no problem. It takes a second to load, but I can also see my files on the server. But accessing/opening/moving files from the file server to, say, my emulated harddrive always starts slow in "reading" the file and then ultimately crashes with the following errors. "The file server's connection has unexpectedly closed down" AND "The file "blah blah" couldn't be read, because an error or type - 1,072 occurred. Do you want to continue copying?"

Of course, I can't continue copying because my connection to the file server was broken.

Any thoughts? Is there a 32-bit Basilisk II build that works with AppleTalk?

Btw, I also am running Basilisk II for Apple Silicon and have NO issues whatsover accessing and transferring files to and from the pi file server.

I've run the 32-bit version on both an iBook G4 and an iMac G4. Both give me the same issue.

Any thoughts?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Basilisk II 32-bit and AppleTalk

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

This probably does not help, but for information:
Error -1072 is listed under "ASP Errors (XPP driver)":
-1072 aspSessClosed Session closed
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am not sure this can be made to work on a MacOSX 10.4 (Tiger) host.
I have no way to test it. If you want to try, I have one older BasiliskII build here:
https://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/basilis ... 7_2008.zip
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

There is a guide for enabling AppleTalk in Basilisk II:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... heepshaver

The link for tuntaposx for Tiger is http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/download.xhtml (under “Legacy Versions” at the bottom of the page).

For IPNetRouterX use the link for Leopard, there’s also a version listed that runs on Tiger.

I’ve never set up any of the emulators on Tiger though, so I don’t know if AppleTalk will work with it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I used to run BII on Tiger back in the day, but didn't do any serious work on it, as Classic was good enough for most situations, and a reboot into OS 9 for others -- and Mini vMac for the stuff that didn't work in these two configs.

Seems to me the first place to start though is with Tun/Tap, because AppleTalk won't work properly without it. Also: make sure you've got a wired connection right from the Mini to the Pi, as WiFi will likely drop some of the packets you need.

I've still got a G4 Mini with 10.4.11 installed, but don't have BII currently configured on it. My Pi4 isn't currently set up as a file server; that's actually what I use my Mini for. I can toss testing this out onto my list of things to do, but realistically, I'll probably get to it next summer at the earliest. Best to try test with Tun/Tap and a fully wired connection and get back to us with the results :)