Running THINK Pascal

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Vii
Space Cadet

Running THINK Pascal

Post by Vii »

I have downloaded SheepShaver and got it running using the Redundant Robot iso. I obtained a .sit archive with THINK Pascal from https://www.macintoshrepository.org/155 ... pascal-4-5. Now I am stuck, because I have never used a Mac before in my life (especially not one that was released before I was born). I tried unstuffing the archive on Windows and looking inside on SheepShaver, but I don't see anything executable in there. I read a post here that said I should unstuff files on SheepShaver itself with something called "The Unarchiver", but I don't know how. How do I install THINK Pascal?

I am on Windows 10. The original Pascal project I am trying to run is in a zip file I received. Thanks in advance.

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Running THINK Pascal

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Better start over again setting up SheepShaver with installing MacOS9 from an install CD image as described in our setup manual. The Redundant Robot OS9 image is just a boot disk with limited OS9 installation and no room for additional software.
A suitable install CD image can be found at the Macintosh Garde site: Go to macintoshgarden.org. On that page scroll down to find and click the “Mac OS 9.x (Main Page)” link. There you will find the “Download (Mac_OS_9.0.4.toast_.zip (393.05 MB))” link.

2. For expanding the sit (Stuffit) archive inside SheepShaver, you can use Stuffit Expander. Stuffit Expander 5.5 can also be found on Macintosh Garden. Download the raw image (.img) file with Stuffit Expander installer on it. Add the file to the volumes list in the GUI. You can run the installer from the disk that will be mounted on the SheepShaver desktop.
Vii
Space Cadet

Post by Vii »

Dankjewel Ronald.

I have managed to install THINK Pascal, but now I can not open the project or any of the code files. Some of the txt files in there can be read by SimpleText. Are these files "permanently damaged" because they have seen a different OS as you described in a different post? Is there a way to recover them?

THINK Pascal is also unable to locate Runtime.lib and Interface.lib even when I point it to the files. Is this because everything is in the shared/mounted folder? I can't seen to copy-paste or move any of the installations to the image I created. If it isn't too much work, can you get THINK Pascal to compile a program on MacOS 9.0.4? Edit: I seemed to have missed some steps in the installation (http://www.think-pascal.org/). I will report back later to see if I can make this work.

Last edited by Vii on Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

With so many windows open, covering the icons on the desktop, it is impossible to see what is what and what is where. I also notice that all files have generic (blank) icons. That is not good.

You apparently run MacOS from the installation CD image instead of actually installing MacOS and then running MacOS from the installed system.

Start over again setting up SheepShaver while following all of our setup guide exactly: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

Files seem to be in a folder on a host drive (accessed through My computer) while they should be on the MacOS9 disk. I see, for instance, the THINK Pascal folder in the same location as the new world rom file and the Stuffit Expander toast image file. That cannot be if everything is installed in the correct location. But, of course, you cannot install anything in MacOS white running it from the install CD.
Vii
Space Cadet

Post by Vii »

Thanks again, it seems that I had forgotten to unmount the installation CD.

Now I can build and run my own THINK Pascal projects, which is a first step.

Now I want to figure out if I can run the old project. When I try to copy the project files from a mounted My Computer to the Desktop, they disappear when I unmount. What is the proper procedure here? Will these files even be usable since they have seen the light of day in Windows 10? I am not sure what happened to the contents of the zip archive containing the project, they might have seen a newer version of Mac.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, this is normal behaviour in classic MacOS. Each volume has its own desktop and what you see as one desktop is the combined desktops of all mounted volumes. When you unmount a volume, all its desktop files will disappear from the desktop.

You need to copy (drag) files to another volume that you will keep mounted, like your system volume.

Or, in later MacOS versions like MacOS9, you can drag files from a volume to the desktop while holding the Mac Option key. A small "+" will appear next to the cursor arrow. The file will then be copied to the desktop of the system volume.

In a new setup with a recent SheepShaver build, the Mac Option key will probably be the Windows key on a Windows keyboard, but it could also be the Alt key. Just try. When you see the "+" appear when dragging the icon, you are holding the right key.
Vii
Space Cadet

Post by Vii »

Perfect, I got the project to run again. My final question is how do I preserve this properly now? If I upload the image I created to GitHub I will be sharing copyrighted material because it includes MacOS9, right? Should I use StuffIt to create an archive containing the project and export that to Windows (this seems to be the suggestion in the thread below this one)?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Exporting the image you created does include MacOS9? Not sure what you intended to do, but you should of course only send your project.

Yes, anything created in or originating from MacOS should best be protected by encoding or archiving in order for the file to survive other than Mac file systems. Compressing in a stuffit archive, is one way to do that.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

A couple of options are to archive your project and copy it via the shared folder, or create a new disk image and mount it, and use it only for your project files. You can then upload that disk image from the Windows host whenever SheepShaver isn't running.