Qemu Mac formatted CD

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

TonyTran
Space Cadet

Qemu Mac formatted CD

Post by TonyTran »

I was looking to use my physical CD drive with Qemu on Windows. However, I read a note in the guide https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... _a_real_cd that says, "You cannot mount Mac formatted CD's, but other formats work.". What does the term "Mac formatted CD's" refer to exactly?
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Re: Qemu Mac formatted CD

Post by darthnvader »

I assume HFS/HFS+ and Hybrid ISO that can be read in PC/Mac.

So basically anything useful to PPC.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Indeed HFS/HFS+ cannot be read. Qemu tells us: Could not refresh total sector count. Input/output error.
It will read other CD's and mount them when the guest can read them.

Best,
Cat_7
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

Cat_7 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:03 pm Indeed HFS/HFS+ cannot be read. Qemu tells us: Could not refresh total sector count. Input/output error.

Best,
Cat_7
Some sort of Windows bug, that doesn't effect Linux.

I often use real CD/DVD's in the drive by passing -cdrom /dev/sr0 on my Linux box.

I had not tried to pass the PCI device that has the SATA controllers via PCI Passthough to see if I could get an actual SATA ATAPI drive to work. Sadly all my SATA ports are in the same IOMMU group, they are all controlled by the same PCI-E device and I'm using the NVME slot in passthrough as the boot drive for my virtual Mac Pro.

Even if I installed my Linux host on the NVME drive and passed the SATA PCI-E device to Qemu, they drives would not be bootable do to lack of support for AHCI in Openbios, but OS X's drivers should allow the drives to function once the OS was up.

I do have a PCI SATA SiL3112 that is Mac compatible that I could Passthough to see if SATA/ATAPI devices worked, maybe I'll test that later.

However, none of this is any help with Window$, other than to say, use a real *Nix based OS if you want to be a power user.
TonyTran
Space Cadet

Post by TonyTran »

Cat_7 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:03 pm Indeed HFS/HFS+ cannot be read. Qemu tells us: Could not refresh total sector count. Input/output error.

Best,
Cat_7
Does that mean even if I burn an HFS/HFS+ image on CD, Qemu can't read it?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

But you can read disk images of those CDs.

Best,
Cat_7
TonyTran
Space Cadet

Post by TonyTran »

Cat_7 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:53 pm Yes,

But you can read disk images of those CDs.

Best,
Cat_7
So, you're basically saying that Qemu can read HFS/HFS+ disk images, but not HFS/HFS+ physical discs, right?
Last edited by TonyTran on Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

And at this point, considering the read/write speed of optical media vs the read/write speed of a disk image, there's pretty much zero reason to feed QEMU an optical disk instead of an image. You can even use the QEMU image tool to compress the disk image so it's both faster AND smaller.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

So, you're basically saying that Qemu can read HFS/HFS+ disk images, but not HFS/HFS+ physical discs, right?
Yes. That is true for Windows hosts. But as you've seen from the other answers, Qemu can read physical Mac CDs when running on a macOS or Linux host.

Best,
Cat_7