Homm III installation in Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ozmopolite
Space Cadet

Homm III installation in Sheepshaver

Post by Ozmopolite »

Greetings,

I am quite a rookie in the mac world, not to speak of emulating world 8O The question I pose might thus be something trivial. But still, I have to ask it.

I want to play Homm III in my Mac (MacBook Pro). I already got the sheepshaver working, but now the Mac OS9 does not recognize my install cd of the game. It is an image in a dmg form. So: how to install the game in sheepshaver/macos9?

I have tried it by mounting in my Leopard and then running the SS. I've tried as well to mount it in the SS preferences, it says that the disc cannot be read. Of course tried to just copy the image to the desktop and then try to run it. When I try to open it, it says: "the document "Heroes 3 Install Disc.dmg" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found."

Would be awesome to get the game running, I would be veeery grateful for help! :P
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Homm III installation in Sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Ozmopolite wrote:I've tried as well to mount it in the SS preferences, it says that the disc cannot be read.
I am not sure what you mean with "mount it in SS preferences". If the disk image is in a uncompressed and normal HFS format (that one would expect on a Mac CD ROM), SheepShaver should be able to read it at next launch when the .dmg file is added to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. If the .dmg image is in a compressed format (the default for .dmg disk images created in MacOSX from folders or disks) SheepShaver cannot read it. The .dmg image must be created in a uncompressed format.
Ozmopolite
Space Cadet

Post by Ozmopolite »

Thanks,

Apparently the disc image is compressed, because it cannot be read. With "mount in the SS preferences" I meant adding it in the SS preferences to the volumes list, in your words.

Well, if the problem is in the disc, do you have an idea of how to fix that? Should I extract the contents of the disc image and then make a new one? And how should I do that, any tips?

Appreciating.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Convert the image in Disk Utility to a different format (Images menu > Convert) choosing "DVD/CD master" for the image format. The converted image will have a .cdr extension. Make sure to lock the new image file in Finder Info to prevent modification of the content when the volume is mounted: Select the file in the Finder, choose 'Get Info' from the File menu and check the 'Locked' box. (Note that a locked file cannot be moved, it can only be copied to a different location.)

You can add this file to the volumes list and it will mount in SheepShaver when SheepShaver is launched.
Ozmopolite
Space Cadet

Post by Ozmopolite »

Awesome - I could install it! Thanks for the fast help!

However, everything was fine until I started to do something with the game. I try to do anything and it crashes taking the sheepshaver with it.. so once more, help, please. What can I do in order the game not to crash?

I have locked the file - the play file which I also converted and got into with the SS preferences - and it is in read-only form. Should there something to be done in SS?

Hopefully the last pleed in this case! So close...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It could be that your game cannot be played in SheepShaver. SheepShaver does not emulate all hardware of a real hardware Mac and some applications simply will not run in SheepShaver. It would be interesting to know if others had success running this game in SheepShaver.

The CD disk image must be read-only, that is why the file should be locked. A real CD would also be read-only.

You can try how the SheepShaver behaves with different settings in preferences. Specifically, try disabling JIT compiler and/or QuickDraw Acceleration.

Also, some games will set the screen resolution to specific values on a real hardware Mac and cannot do that in SheepShaver. Try different screen resolution settings (like 800x600).

(Remember that changes in preferences will not take effect until a new launch of SheepShaver.)
bjrule
Student Driver

Post by bjrule »

The strange thing is that HommIII worked under SheepShaver on my PPC iMac but not on my Intel iMac.
I've tried both the official and the newest version of SS, both with the cd or an image of the cd but neither works. I've tried a few settings in the SS prefs, too.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

SheepShaver may behave differently on PPC or Intel. On a PPC, SheepShaver does not need to emulate a PPC processor.

Which different setting did you try in SS prefs? Did you try disabling JIT Compiler?
bjrule
Student Driver

Post by bjrule »

Yes, I think I tried all possible combinations. I guess I'll give up (for now) and perhaps try later.
bjrule
Student Driver

Post by bjrule »

Heroes III needs virtual memory to be set to 96 MB. According to "About this computer" I am running SS with Mac OS 9.0, 512 MB RAM and Virtual memory off. The control panel "Memory" only shows Disc cache and RAM disk but doesn't show anything about virtual memory. Is it not possible in SS to set virtual memory?

Edit: Found that SS doesn't emulate virtual memory.
Scoog
Space Cadet

Post by Scoog »

I've been trying to get Heroes III complete and it sounds like I've had less success than you. The program installs and loads, but only gets a few seconds of the splash screen audio and the screen is black. If I enter command-Q, the appropriate verification pop up displays and behaves appropriately.

I'm running 8.6 and have tried a number of different SS versions. The problem may be due to my source for 8.6. I took it from an old PowerMac 7500 since I no longer have a 8.6 CD. But that 7500 had a graphics card and I think the display control panels were "updated" when I installed the graphics card. When I go to the monitors control panel, I get an error about a required extension Display Enabler being missing. I tried downloading an update to Display Enabler from the internet, but the control panel still doesn't recognize it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This problem may very well be caused by the fact that you copied the system from a different Mac and did not actually install the system on the SheepShaver emulated Mac.

SheepShaver emulates a "SheepShaver Video" graphics card. Software that was installed for a different special video card and/or monitor may not work properly.

Display Enabler is not part of the system software 7.5.3 and later. A later version (2.0.2 ?) of Display Enabler may be installed with AppleVision Software (for AppleVision and AudioVision displays). In 8.6 system software, the previous Display Enabler is replaced by the "°AppleVision" extension, named this way to make sure it loads after all other extensions. In SheepShaver, AppleVision software has no function and additional AppleVision software should not be installed.

However, as apparently AppleVision software is installed, you could try if installing "AppleVision Fix" solves your problem. I do not know what the result will be, it may make things worse, so best try it on a copy of your system volume image.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Su ... .1.sea.bin
Scoog
Space Cadet

Post by Scoog »

Unfortunately, the result is that the updater only runs on 7.5. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Best try and find a general retail system install CD (not one that was provided with a specific model) and do a clean install of a new system in SheepShaver.
Scoog
Space Cadet

Post by Scoog »

I finally got my hands on a generic 8.6 CD and tried it with that version. Still no luck. There is a demo available for download at http://www.filefront.com/1991121/Heroes ... -Demo-Mac/. It has the same behavior, if someone wants to try running on their set up and see if it works or if they can identify the issue.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Behavior is the same in MacOS 9.0.4 in different SheepShaver builds on my Intel iMac. Absolutely no idea what the problem could be. It is possible that the game needs hardware that SheepShaver does not emulate.
Scoog
Space Cadet

Post by Scoog »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Behavior is the same in MacOS 9.0.4 in different SheepShaver builds on my Intel iMac. Absolutely no idea what the problem could be. It is possible that the game needs hardware that SheepShaver does not emulate.
It's possible, but I don't see anything in the requirements detailing what. Is there an XCode version of SheepShaver or just what's described at http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/proje ... /compiling? It may be time to trying running it with GDB to try and find out where the problem is. My guess is it's the Game Sprockets library that's not [fully] supported by Sheepshaver.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There is no XCode project version of SheepShaver itself. Variations on the compiling as described in the wiki on Gwenole Beauchesne's site are being used.

See for instance the discussion here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 1789#31789
Sanji02933
Space Cadet

Post by Sanji02933 »

Hi everyone. I have similar problem. I have used this page for (very limited) instruction on how to run HoM&M III on Mac ( I am on Mac mini intel 2018 OS Monterey) to which link is: http://heroes3wog.net/heroes-iii-comple ... -download/ .
I am very new to this emulator. Have never tried anything that doesn't have simple UI (for instance I used PCSX which was very easy in my opinion) . Also please bear with me as I am not native English speaker.
So could anyone guide me as for what to do in order to play the game? I used this link to install and configure sheep shaver : https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup
and did everything it says up until the point that says "first configuration" . I believe I do not really need thing such as network settings etc so I ignored it (after all sheep shaver is running ok and emulating macOS 9.
But my heroes of might and magic folder contains TOAST files ;( and even though I placed them in "shared" folder and they appear within my sheep shaver Mac OS 9, I can't run them. Dunno what to do.
Anyone help please?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I suppose you are trying to use .toast disk image files.
To mount them in SheepShaver, you should not transfer these through the shared folder/Unix feature. Add disk image files to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. The added disks will appear on the SheepShaver desktop at next launch of SheepShaver.