Beta version of new Basilisk II GUI

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Beta version of new Basilisk II GUI

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Then, if BasiliskII does not run, it could be incorrect settings or an incompatible rom file.

1. Which rom file do you use (where did you get it)?

2. Please post here the content of your ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs file:
Post here the content of your prefs file:

Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

The ROM was from Redundant Robot... new world PPC Rom

disk /Applications/Basilisk/DiskTools_MacOS8.image
disk /Applications/Basilisk/OS753InstallerParts.dsk
disk /Applications/Basilisk/MACOS753.dsk
extfs /Users/john/Desktop/Basiliskll
screen win/1024/768
seriala 
serialb 
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Applications/Basilisk/MAC.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 134217728
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit false
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes true
keycodefile /Applications/Basilisk/keycodes
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 3
dsp 
mixer 
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

BasiliskII will not work with that rom. It is for PPC. BasiliskII is a 68k emulator.

Use from Redundant Robot the Performa ROM (That is the name of the download link. The download file is named 1mbMacrom.zip)
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

Ahhh... that was it ... thank you. Up and running now.
olePigeon
Space Cadet

Post by olePigeon »

For whatever reason, I can't get the Shared Folder to work.

macOS Monterey 12.6 on M1 Pro.

My Basilisk II folder is on my Desktop. I've selected the folder via the GUI. It appears to be the correct path. However, when I boot Basilisk II, the UNIX folder doesn't show up. I'd just use ImportFI, but it doesn't play nice with Resource Forks.

Thanks for any help.

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which System version did you install in BasiliskII?
If it is not 7.5.1 or later, the shared folder/Unix feature will not work without additional installation of the "File System Manager" extension.

It can be downloaded from the Macintosh Garden site: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/file-system-manager-12
olePigeon
Space Cadet

Post by olePigeon »

7.1.1 Pro. Thank you, I'll do that. :)
jcgraybill
Space Cadet

Post by jcgraybill »

I've noticed that the "Add..." button in the Volumes tab is no longer working for me after I upgraded to macOS 14.0 (Sonoma) last week. Pressing it displays the following dialog: Image
(alt: "The open file operation failed. The open file operation failed to connect to the open and save panel service."). Other file open dialogs work as expected. I don't know if this is an only-me issue or a everybody-using-Sonoma issue... I thought I'd report it here in case it's the latter. Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The issue was reported with a Sanoma beta version. We decided to wait till it was reported with the final release. I will inform the developer of the GUI app.

(Adding or removing disk images can also be done in a text editor.)

Edit: Is it only the "Open" dialog or also then "Save" dialog (at creating a new disk image)?
jcgraybill
Space Cadet

Post by jcgraybill »

Yay, I'm glad to hear this is a known issue. And thank you for the tip. In the meantime I'm happily working around it by adding disk images directly to the prefs file, and that is working just fine. I mean, the UI is better of course :)

Every other file operation I tested works just fine: saving, creating, removing, as well as selecting a UNIX root, keycode file, ROM, and prefs path.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The issue is solved in new version 0.22.

Download: https://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/Ba ... I-0.22.zip
jcgraybill
Space Cadet

Post by jcgraybill »

It works great! Thank you :)
brucezubaa
Space Cadet

Post by brucezubaa »

I am having trouble with creating the two disk images. The create button is grayed out on the GUI software. As suggested I attempted to create images using disk utility and used the add button to add them to my Basilisk II setup. My system is APFS and there is not option for HFS+. I tried the APFS. When I launch Basilisk II it runs but neither disk shows up. Only the disk tools and the unix folder (and the trash can).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which GUI version do you use? The latest version 0.22 should work fine for creating new disk images. It can be downloaded from the first post in this topic.

(MacOS versions that can be used in BasiliskII cannot read APFS and, with the exception of MacOS 8.1, not even HFS+. But when you start up BasiliskII, the Finder will ask you if the disk should be initialized.)
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:11 pm Which GUI version do you use? The latest version 0.22 should work fine for creating new disk images. It can be downloaded from the first post in this topic.
Even though development of the GUI app is ongoing, I really do need to point out that it's still an unhelpful app for those of us who want to make Basilisk II display nicely on Macs with Retina displays, as I mentioned in 2021 here:
viewtopic.php?t=11128

Every single time I want to add a new drive path, which is pretty much every single time I use Basilisk II, which is several days a week, I can't use the GUI app at all. If I do, it will wipe out my 2 display settings:
scale_nearest true
mag_rate 2

These two settings really, REALLY need to be added into the GUI app.

Because the GUI app is lacking in important features like that, what I have to do is LOCK the hidden ".basilisk_ii_prefs" file to prevent it from being overwritten when I launch the regular Basilisk II app. But then when I need to add or change a drive path, I must Unlock the prefs file, open it, manually edit the drive paths via text editor (no GUI app for me!), then save, then re-lock the prefs file, and then and only then launch Basilisk II.

It really is a bothersome nightmare to do this over and over and over again, but that also shows just how much I want a pixel perfect display when I load Basilisk II. I hate fuzzy pixels!

Again, all this was discussed back in 2021. It's now 2024. I really do hope the GUI app can be brought up to speed with "scale_nearest true" and "mag_rate 2" settings so the bothersome hell I need to go through now can finally be a thing of the past.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Do you use the latest GUI version 0.22? When it saves changed settings, it will move other items it finds between its own settings to the end of the prefs file. Manually added settings will thus be preserved. This feature was already present in version 0.20.

BasiliskII itself will add 'advanced' settings with default values. All 'advanced' settings will end up in the last part of the prefs file and most users will add or edit these settings there. Once present there, these items are not changed or moved by the GUI and are not changed by BasiliskII.

If you added items in the upper part of the prefs file, and did not notice that the items were moved, and added items again, there may now be several mag_rate and scale_nearest items at the end of the prefs file. Make sure there is only one instance of each of your settings and that these are in the last part of the prefs file. If BasiliskII finds several instances of a certain item with different values it will use the last one.

A typical last part of the prefs file with default advanced settings should look like this:

hotkey 0
scale_nearest false
scale_integer false
yearofs 0
dayofs 0
mag_rate 0
swap_opt_cmd false
sound_buffer 0
name_encoding 0
delay 0
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

Ronald, after following your advice, I am now getting it to work correctly! Finally! Thank you for the assistance.

One question though. I see you are using a "delay 0" instruction in your example prefs file. I cannot find a description of that here:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... uilds_only

What does "delay" do, and why would you want use it?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Very observant! :smile:

I do not know what it is. BasiliskII only writes that line when launched with no pre-existent prefs file.
I cannot find it in the documentation. It may be a remnant in the source of an older BasiliskII version and not functional anymore. I will ask the developer.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

From the file prefs_items.cpp in the source:

{"delay", TYPE_INT32, false,	"additional delay [uS] every 64k instructions"},
"uS" is an ASCII way of writing microseconds (μS).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

But what could be the practical use, if any? Apparently delay = 0 is the default. When deleted from an existing prefs file, BasiliskII will not write it again.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I have absolutely no idea of what it could be used for!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Delay is meant to slow down the emulation to allow some cpu speed dependent apps to run at their original speed:

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/ ... 72c5a81b9d
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Ah! I remember now. Forgot all about it. Maybe because I am not a gamer. :wink:

Here is the discussion on kanjitalk755/macemu. kanjitalk755 suggests to first try delay 1000 to slow down emulation.

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/issues/117