No Sound

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kd8tzc
Student Driver

No Sound

Post by kd8tzc »

I have successfully installed ShepShaver on my Macbook Pro running Monterey 12.6. The Emulation is running OS9.0.4.

When I launch it though, there is no sound. On one of the boots, it said something about not enough memory for sound and to launch with teh shift key depressed, so I did. I shut down and rebooted again, and did not get an error, but now no sound. I don't recall hearing any sounds the first few boots before that strange error thou

I followed the setup instructions and left as is with Output device as /dev/dsp and mixer as /dev/mixer

Any help would be appreciated.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: No Sound

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you enable sound in SheepShaver as described in the setup guide?
In “Sound” control panel, select “Built-in” for the output device, click “Built-in” to highlight it.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

As I said in my previous post, I followed the directions to the letter.

Output device as /dev/dsp and mixer as /dev/mixer
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The audio devices as shown in SheepShaver preferences are irrelevant, they are not functional in SheepShaver for macOS.

Did you make sure that in the MacOS9 Sound control panel "Built-in" is highlighted for the output device? You need to actually click on the text "Built-in" to highlight it.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

I assume you mean the "Sound" portion in control panel. When I go to Sound, on the left I see Alert Sounds, Input, and Output. When I highlight Output, the box to choose a device has nothing listed. I also tried installing this on my M1 MacMini, and I get the same issue.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I mean the Sound control panel. The control panels in MacOS 9.0.4 are all separate files, accessible through a submenu from MacOS 9.0.4 Apple menu.

If there is nothing listed on the right side when you select "Output" on the left, there is something wrong in your System 9.0.4 installation.

Try:
- From System Folder -> Preferences, drag the file Sound Preferences to the Trash.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.

Does "Built-in" now appear at the right when you select "Output"?
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

Still nothing...

I am using the Mac OS 9.0.4 from Macintosh Garden (the Download (Mac_OS_9.0.4.toast_.zip (393.05 MB)) one) on http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macinto ... -doors-mdd. I'll try just the US one and see if it makes any difference.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The "Mac_OS_9.0.4.toast_.zip (393.05 MB)" download should work fine. It is the recommended one, used by most users here. I have seen no such complaints about sound before.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

Okay, very strange, so I tried the US one and not the Toast one, and the sound now works. Just for grins, I moved the HDD that I created, and then put the toast one back as the install media, and did setup again, and no sound.

For whatever reason, sound does not get installed when I use the Toast file.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Very strange indeed. I have no explanation.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

I would normally say it was a one-time thing, but the fact that I was able to reproduce it, on two different machines, I'm a bit puzzled, but the solution was found for me, so that is all that matters.