Images will not open

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kd8tzc
Student Driver

Images will not open

Post by kd8tzc »

I have been trying to get a System 7.5.3 version to work, and it has been a slow go.

The big issues I keep running up against are .img files and .sit files, and ,dsk files that won't mount in the System so that I can get software loaded. I've tried a number of different things (Word 5.1, SimCity, Excel, etc) and I always end up at the same place... I can't mount the image.

I have tried editing the GUI and adding a CD rom image file in the volumes, that doesn't seem to work for any that I have tried (it did work when I set the system up though). I tried mounting them in my modern M1 Mac... not sure if I should be able to mount an .img or .iso from that period on a an M1 Mac or not.

What SHOULD I be doing as I am obviously doing something wrong? I don't recall it being this difficult back in the late 1980s.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Images will not open

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Did you succeed in installing and running 7.5.3 in BasiliskII?

2. How do you try to mount the disk images? The way to mount .img and .dsk (and similar) disk images is to add them to the volumes list in the GUI. At next launch of BasiliskII they should appear on the desktop in BasiliskII.

Unless... they are HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) formatted volumes. System 7.5.3 can only read HFS (Mac OS Standard) volumes, not HFS+ volumes.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

Yes, I got 7.5.3 to run once you informed me of the issue with the ROM I was using.

How can I tell if they are extended or not?

For example, here is a link to one of the files from MacintoshGarden for Word 5.1 (I've tried others on that page too and they all seem to have the same issue)

https://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macin ... _EN-US.sit. With this I extract the files from the SIT file on my modern Mac, I then add the .img files to the volumes listing in the GUI. When I save and then launch Basilisk II, it tells me the disk is unreadable by the Mac, do you want to initialize the disk.

And yes, I am mounting them in the volumes as you had instructed.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Same here. Something must be wrong with these Word 5.1 image files. I cannot mount them in BasiliskII, nor SheepShaver, nor in Mini vMac. Other downloaded .img files work fine.

On Macintosh Garden, try the #8 "MS-Word-51a-iso.zip" download. The .iso image in that download mounts fine in BasiliskII.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

Okay, so now the Image is mounted, but when I launch either of the installers it says it is locked. I don't have an option to unlock it. Do I need to copy this to a temp folder on my HDD and then run it?

Edit: So I did the copy to my HDD, and I still get the same error that it is locked. I check all the files, and none are locked though on the HDD.
uhhu
Inquisitive Elf

Post by uhhu »

kd8tzc wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:26 pm Okay, so now the Image is mounted, but when I launch either of the installers it says it is locked. I don't have an option to unlock it. Do I need to copy this to a temp folder on my HDD and then run it?

Edit: So I did the copy to my HDD, and I still get the same error that it is locked. I check all the files, and none are locked though on the HDD.
Ignore the locked warning and select the Customize button.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

And then what? I select "Easy Install" and then it seems to loop back to the warning, and then customize, and easy install, warning... repeat.

Just as a note, I have the Disk set to the MacOSHDD. If I hit switch disk, I see the unix drive, and only easy install is available again, and one more switch disk takes me to the MS Word Image disk. Only on that disk can I use "Install", but it cancels immediately (not enough space).

Thank goodness my Mac Plus back in 1987 wasn't this difficult to work with.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In the download is a file "AboutThis.txt". At the bottom it reads:

Caveats: This install set initially didn't want to install on Basilisk II for me. It turns out that it doesn't like having a "shared" disk enabled via the GUI (called "UNIX" on Mac and "My Computer" in Windows). So, if you strike any issues when installing Word 5 from this .iso image, turn off the shared folder in the emulator's GUI before starting the emulator and running the installer.

When you remove the path to "Unix root" in the GUI, you will not get the 'locked' warning. After successful installation, you can add the path to your shared folder again.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

That fixed it! Thank you.