old qemu_vga.ndrv needed for 640x480 8bit color in linux qemu

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ceratophyllum
Space Cadet

old qemu_vga.ndrv needed for 640x480 8bit color in linux qemu

Post by ceratophyllum »

Is there some deb package in the debian/ubuntu/mint package-mess comprising qemu-this-and-that containing this file?

I am currently starting qemu-system-ppc Mac OS 9.2.1 like this on an up-to-date Linux Mint x86_64 system:

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 -boot c -drive format=raw,media=disk,file=qos9ppc.img -device VGA,edid=on -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true"

with the file qemu_vga.ndrv in the current directory. Without the file, the Monitors tool only gives 800x600 in "Millions" of colors. (Trying to start with the -g 640x480x8 results in an unusable monchrome mode with all sorts of grubby artifacts.) With the file, I get a large selection of working modes in Monitors, including the essential-for-games 640x480x8.

I got qemu_vga.ndrv here:
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/Qe ... 092017.zip

Apparently, the .ndrv file is the same on Linux and OS X. Anyway, Linux being the evolving mess that it always is, I want to find out how to get things working right without this old file from I don't know where. No doubt new versions of qemu will stop working or I'll forget why I kept this file with my qemu img files.

apt search ^qemu gives loads of packages.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: old qemu_vga.ndrv needed for 640x480 8bit color in linux qemu

Post by Cat_7 »

I have no idea what various distro's ship regarding qemu executables.

However, all recent qemu packages should contain the correct vga driver.
If not, just download on of our builds for macOS or Windows and use the ndrv contained in the pc-bios folder.

Best,
Cat_7
ceratophyllum
Space Cadet

Re: old qemu_vga.ndrv needed for 640x480 8bit color in linux qemu

Post by ceratophyllum »

Thanks. I guess I'll just use copy the ndrv from your release. I see the latest release announcement even mentions fixing a problem with switching color depths.