F117a microprose "error of type 4"

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

doodler
Space Cadet

F117a microprose "error of type 4"

Post by doodler »

Hi,
Using Basilisk 2 ver 1.1 in win10. Trying to get F117a stealth fighter to run, patched to version 2.3.2.

The game seems to run ok until you switch to 'slot view'. Not a big deal, I know, but would be kinda cools to get exterior views to work. Graphics for F117a on Mac is best of all versions available. I tried to do search for this error here, couldn't find a match. Anyone aware of this error? My pc background doesn't include many macs so not sure if this is native error for MacOS or if this is something unique to basilisk. Google search of error doesn't bring up much.

Any help would be great, thanks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: F117a microprose "error of type 4"

Post by adespoton »

Type 4 is the divide by zero error. Something in the code is attempting to divide by zero. This could be due to BII setting a value to 0 that a real machine would have set to some other value; without debugging it would be difficult to tell for sure.

Are you using the JIT options? If so, try turning those off and see if the problem goes away.
doodler
Space Cadet

Post by doodler »

Thanks for the feedback. At least know more now then before. I didn't have the JIT enabled. For s & g, I did try enabling the JIT and tried it again. Same error message.. 'Error of type 4'. Any other suggestions?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

doodler wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:20 pm Thanks for the feedback. At least know more now then before. I didn't have the JIT enabled. For s & g, I did try enabling the JIT and tried it again. Same error message.. 'Error of type 4'. Any other suggestions?
Have you tried it in another emulator? It should run in SheepShaver, and might also run in Mini vMac II, plus it should run in QEMU-PPC and might run in QEMU-M68k.

Beyond that, it's going to take someone debugging inside the environment and possibly debugging BII itself to identify exactly where the issue lies, and then someone with time and an understanding of the BII architecture to develop and push a fix, if the issue is on the BII side.

I seem to recall someone tried migrating the modern Hatari emulation core to BII at some point... this might also fix the issue. But I don't recall that ever being merged. To test if this would work, you can always run https://virtuallyfun.com/2015/08/07/darkmatter/ to emulate a Mac via the Hatari core inside the NeXT emulator Previous, which gives you yet another 68k Mac emulator.
doodler
Space Cadet

Post by doodler »

I just tried it with sheepsaver. It works! Mostly. It still occassionally give the same error though. It also runs a bit slower. I guess this will have to do for now. Thanks for the suggestion.