BasiliskII for iOS

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Re: BasiliskII for iOS

Post by gingerbeardman »

It's possible.

I rebuilt the latest code to my device recently, just before iOS 16 was released, using latest Xcode to iPadOS.
• BasiliskII on iPad Pro 12.9": Macintosh IIci 32MB + System 7.5.5 + Deneba artWORKS & UltraPaint
Halcyon
Student Driver

Post by Halcyon »

I compared the behavior of the latest Basilisk II iOS branch running in the Xcode 14.1 simulator in iPad OS 16.1 vs 15.5 and I can confirm that the "crash on command+w" problem began in iPad OS 16+.

It seems like in iPad OS 16.1 command+w generally closes (or suspends?) whatever full screen app is running, except for safari with multiple tabs open. iPad OS 15.5 does not have this behavior. Related to Stage Manager maybe?

Still looking for some sort of workaround...
Eduo
Space Cadet

Post by Eduo »

The ugly solution I've seen around is mapping ctrl to cmd. I proposed this to the guy that did infinite mac and it helped improve the situation.

It's not ideal, but it gets the job done in a pinch (except for losing ctrl itself, of course).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Eduo wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:24 pm The ugly solution I've seen around is mapping ctrl to cmd. I proposed this to the guy that did infinite mac and it helped improve the situation.

It's not ideal, but it gets the job done in a pinch (except for losing ctrl itself, of course).
If you've got left and right control or alt keys on your keyboard, you could map to one of those while keeping the other as normal.

eg, I map left alt to command and right alt to option.
Amon-re
Space Cadet

Post by Amon-re »

hello all
I just came to testify that I managed to compile the ios branch using the very last version of Xcode (15) and exported it on an ipad pro with the recent iOS 17.
After some initial obstacles, I managed to go through the arcanes of Xcode and export to an ipad.

I am so grateful for the work that has been done creating this branch.

It helped me replay games I used to play. Now my son (4,5yo) can enjoy the same things that I add decades ago.
it was my main motive to be honest.

Here are some video proof with an innocent beta tester :-))
https://share.obspm.fr/s/42ifJX7Q4CqJZ8C

thanks again!
jamesyoung
Space Cadet

Post by jamesyoung »

I compiled it successfully for iOS 16.3 on Xcode and I’ve loaded a quadra900 rom and selected quadra 900 and loaded a Mac OS 7.6.1 disk image but I just get a cannot load rom error and black screen
Same happens for Mac IIcI and the Mac IIcI rom

Also tried a number of pre compiled ipas online and they also have the same issue

Using TrollStore to side load it on my M2 iPad Pro on 16.3.1
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

jamesyoung wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:11 am I compiled it successfully for iOS 16.3 on Xcode and I’ve loaded a quadra900 rom and selected quadra 900 and loaded a Mac OS 7.6.1 disk image but I just get a cannot load rom error and black screen
Same happens for Mac IIcI and the Mac IIcI rom

Also tried a number of pre compiled ipas online and they also have the same issue

Using TrollStore to side load it on my M2 iPad Pro on 16.3.1
Check your ROM against this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Dk7QDyKPY/ -- note that the Q900 ROM has known issues with BII.

If you've got a Mac, you may find this tool useful: https://github.com/sentient06/MacROMan
jamesyoung
Space Cadet

Post by jamesyoung »

I downloaded a few different q900 ROMs and had the same issue with all

Same goes for IIcI
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

A Quadra900 ROM should work.
Try the Performa ROM from this page: https://redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver
If it does not work, the failure must be caused by something else.
jamesyoung
Space Cadet

Post by jamesyoung »

Thanks Ronald,
The Performa.rom linked fixed it all!