Script Editor not working

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ajmoo
Space Cadet

Script Editor not working

Post by ajmoo »

Hello there. I cannot seem to get Script Editor 1.4.3 to do anything in SheepShaver. I cannot record, write new scripts, or edit existing ones. It looks like self-running scripts as compiled applications do work, but that's it.

https://imgur.com/qKZVyUb

SS Configuration:
• Fresh copy of SS 2.5.2022.09.13 (folder and app downloaded today from the forums) on my computer and ran scripts to reset prefs and nvram.
• AppleScript 1.4 and AppleScript Lib 1.4 in the Extensions folder and not disabled.
• Fresh recommended install of Mac OS 9.0.4 from a retail disk image with no errors.
• 2GB disk image as the hard drive with 64MB RAM, no other configuration changes were made in SS prefs.
• Rebuilt desktop file and ran disk first aid, no issues.

Mac Configuration:
• M1 MacBook Pro 2021 with 16GB RAM
• Mac OS 13.0.1

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to fix? Thank you
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Script Editor not working

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You probably did not do anything wrong.
I never tried Script Editor in SheepShaver before, but it does not work here either. Same application and extension versions as installed with MacOS 9.0.4.
ajmoo
Space Cadet

Post by ajmoo »

Ah! bummer but glad it's not something I've done wrong. Thank you!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

But you can install the free "Classic" version of Script Debugger 3.0.9 here:

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/732 ... gger-3-0-9

The author made it freely available years ago. See this thread:

https://forum.latenightsw.com/t/script- ... -3-0-9/666
Maxa
Space Cadet

Post by Maxa »

Script Editor works on os7 and os8 https://macos8.app https://system7.app bummer it does not work on os9
Maxa
Space Cadet

Post by Maxa »

Columbia University has Script Editor working on os 9 see: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9osx.html
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That is emendelson's "Mac OS 9 for OS X/macOS". The SheepShaver in it is build the same way and from the same source as my SheepShaver builds. How can the behaviour of Script Editor be different there?
Maxa
Space Cadet

Post by Maxa »

Just reinstalled OS 9 and Script Editor is working!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In several SheepShaver setups here, each with MacOS 9.0.4, Script Maker 1.4.3 does not work. I can launch it, but I cannot create scripts. Even with the simplest thinkable script, checking syntax throws an error "Could not compile the script because of an AppleScript error".
What could be different in your setup?
Maxa
Space Cadet

Post by Maxa »

Yea I thought it was strange because the Columbia build worked. So I played around with my build and deleted Script Editor and reinstalled it and it worked. This morning I did a clean os 9 install and it just worked and ran a simple script fine. The CD disk I am using is Mac OS Internal Edition.toast SheepShaver is 2.5.2022.09.13 No clue on the ROM
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Do you use Script Editor 1.4.3 that is installed with MacOS 9.0.4 in the Apple Extras > AppleScript folder?

Can you write or record a new script?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Script Editor 1.4.3 crashes SheepShaver every time. My Mac OS 9 app has three copies of Script Editor (I don't remember why). Two of them are 1.4.3; they both crash SheepShaver; one of them is 1.1.3, which works perfectly. This needs more research.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And the crash does not occur in the Windows version. (Signing off for the holiday now...)
Maxa
Space Cadet

Post by Maxa »

Using the installed Script Editor 1.4.3 from Apple Extras > AppleScript folder. Yes I can record a new script and my Apple Scripts in hypercard works fine.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This is very strange. So far, Script Editor 1.4.3 only works for you (Maxa). It does not work for me, it does not work for emendelson, and it does not work for the OP (ajmoo).
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Maxa, could you spell out which host system you're using (Windows? macOS? which version? Intel or M1 Mac)?

EDIT: I found a "Mac OS Internal Edition" CD image for 9.0.4 on Macintosh Garden, used it to install Mac OS, started up Script Editor, ran a script consisting of

display dialog "Hello"

and SheepShaver crashed. Could you give more details of exactly what you installed?
Maxa
Space Cadet

Post by Maxa »

Mac OS Internal Edition.toast. SheepShaver is 2.5.2022.09.13. No clue on the Mac OSROM. Mac mini (Late 2014) 2.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5.OS 12.6.2. Just a basic clean install. By the way the Columbia University has Script Editor working on os 9 see: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9osx.html. Let me know if you need any other details.

I wanted to see if I can retire my old G5 Mac and use SheepShaver.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Apparently, the issue is related to SheepShaver running natively on Apple Silicon. When I set SheepShaver to run with Rosetta, Script Editor 1.4.3 does not throw an error when syntax is checked and does not crash SheepShaver when the script is executed.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Maxa wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:05 pm Mac OS Internal Edition.toast. SheepShaver is 2.5.2022.09.13. No clue on the Mac OSROM. Mac mini (Late 2014) 2.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5.OS 12.6.2. Just a basic clean install. By the way the Columbia University has Script Editor working on os 9 see: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9osx.html. Let me know if you need any other details.

That Columbia University page looks interesting. Its Mac OS 9 installation has the same problem that Ronald identified as a problem with Apple Silicon: Script Editor 1.4.3 crashes on an Apple Silicon Mac, but if you dig down to Contents/Resources/Files and then Get Info for SheepShaver and set it to open in Rosetta, then Script Editor won't crash.

Ronald found the answer. Meanwhile, we can hope that kanjitalk755 might be able to fix the crash.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:35 pm
Maxa wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:05 pm Mac OS Internal Edition.toast. SheepShaver is 2.5.2022.09.13. No clue on the Mac OSROM. Mac mini (Late 2014) 2.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5.OS 12.6.2. Just a basic clean install. By the way the Columbia University has Script Editor working on os 9 see: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9osx.html. Let me know if you need any other details.

That Columbia University page looks interesting.
I'm still trying to figure out how to interpret that comment...?

I presume Maxa hadn't realized that the Edward Mendelson who wrote that page and the emendelson who I'm replying to in this thread are one and the same...

...but it's definitely a totally legitimate way of linking to your page on these forums :)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:16 pm
emendelson wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:35 pm That Columbia University page looks interesting.
I'm still trying to figure out how to interpret that comment...?

I presume Maxa hadn't realized that the Edward Mendelson who wrote that page and the emendelson who I'm replying to in this thread are one and the same...

...but it's definitely a totally legitimate way of linking to your page on these forums :)
I was just amusing myself with that comment, and hoping that someone else might also be amused. And you're right! I shouldn't have included the quotation with the link in my reply....!
Maxa
Space Cadet

Post by Maxa »

LOL sorry had no clue. And thank you for all for the help!