Adding Samba to my netatalk NAS

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mabam
Master Emulator

Adding Samba to my netatalk NAS

Post by mabam »

Maybe someone more expert than me can help with this question:

For compatibility reasons I want to enable Samba on my netatalk (A2Server) NAS.
I know there’s the vfs_fruit module for Samba to interoperate with netatalk 3. But googling brings up reports from several people who experience incompatibilities. On top of that, I don’t run netatalk v3 but v2 as I also need DDP.

To work around most of that I could extend the Debian system on my NAS with the ability to handle HFS+ volumes, format the HDD with the shared volumes accordingly and copy all data back unto it from the backup.

I guess that would fix all incompatibilities between netatalk 2 and Samba with vfs_fruit but one: What about file name encoding?

Or is there anything else I haven’t thought of?
dmark
Space Cadet

Re: Adding Samba to my netatalk NAS

Post by dmark »

IIRC netatalk2 isn't aware of samba file locking which can cause trouble. And, there were complications when using adouble metadata too, I believe.

It is netatalk3 that is explicitly samba compatible, with its special ea=samba option. See https://netatalk.sourceforge.io/3.1/htm ... onf.5.html
mabam
Master Emulator

Re: Adding Samba to my netatalk NAS

Post by mabam »

I have yet to look further regarding a solution, didn’t spend any additional time in this since my initial post. But then I know combining with Samba isn’t an option.

Thanks for your response, it will save me quite some hassle and trouble!