SheepShaver for Windows CD recorder support

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

billrosenblatt
Space Cadet

SheepShaver for Windows CD recorder support

Post by billrosenblatt »

Hi, I am using Mac OS 9 for Windows (from http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9win.html), a SheepShaver system, on a Windows 11 laptop. I need to burn a .CDR file onto a CD as a disk image so that I can install the software in the .CDR file.

The distro contains software for burning CDs (Adaptec Toast). I have an external USB DVD/CD read/write drive, an LG Slim Portable DVD Writer model SP60NB50. It works fine from Windows for writing onto blank CDs. The problem I'm having is that while the Mac OS emulator recognizes the external drive as a disk drive (as the D drive), it does not recognize the drive as a CD recorder. Specifically, when I run Toast, it says "No CD-Recorder." Incidentally I have the same problem when I plug this drive into a 1999 vintage Mac Powerbook G3.

So my question is:
- Is there a way to get the Mac OS emulator to recognize this drive as a CD recorder, or do I need to get another type of external drive for this to work?
- Or is there a way to do the CD burning from Windows so that I get a CD that the Mac will read as installable software?
- Or is there another way to turn the .cdr file into something that will install the on the Mac OS 9 emulator?

Thanks for any pointers or tips!

- Bill.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver for Windows CD recorder support

Post by adespoton »

billrosenblatt wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:47 pm Hi, I am using Mac OS 9 for Windows (from http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9win.html), a SheepShaver system, on a Windows 11 laptop. I need to burn a .CDR file onto a CD as a disk image so that I can install the software in the .CDR file.

The distro contains software for burning CDs (Adaptec Toast). I have an external USB DVD/CD read/write drive, an LG Slim Portable DVD Writer model SP60NB50. It works fine from Windows for writing onto blank CDs. The problem I'm having is that while the Mac OS emulator recognizes the external drive as a disk drive (as the D drive), it does not recognize the drive as a CD recorder. Specifically, when I run Toast, it says "No CD-Recorder." Incidentally I have the same problem when I plug this drive into a 1999 vintage Mac Powerbook G3.

So my question is:
- Is there a way to get the Mac OS emulator to recognize this drive as a CD recorder, or do I need to get another type of external drive for this to work?
- Or is there a way to do the CD burning from Windows so that I get a CD that the Mac will read as installable software?
- Or is there another way to turn the .cdr file into something that will install the on the Mac OS 9 emulator?

Thanks for any pointers or tips!

- Bill.
Use Toast in SheepShaver to create a disc image, then burn that in Windows with ImgBurn.