Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

joshlac
Space Cadet

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by joshlac »

Thank you, I will try it next to get rid of the bomb! Meanwhile, I turned back on the virtual memory and sound is working!
finkmac
Space Cadet

Post by finkmac »

Is there a working setup guide for the latest builds? I can't seem to get things running no matter how I try.
Trying to run 9.0.4.
One of the following happens, depending on how I set the batch file up:

1. Does not boot, stuck on the loading progress bar (if I don't set -cpu G3)
2. Keyboard/Mouse does not work (if via= is set to anything but cuda), can be combined with 1. -device usb-kbd / -device usb-mouse do nothing.
3. Boots to desktop, Drive Setup fails to initialize the hard disk image. Just flat out "initialization failed". If I quit and restart, the disk formatting dialog box will pop up, but it will fail saying the disk is defective.

closest I've gotten is with this batch file setup:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-accel tcg,tb-size=2048 ^
-M mac99,via=cuda ^
-cpu G3 ^
-m 768 ^
-g 1024x768x32 ^
-device VGA,edid=on,vgamem_mb=64,xres=1024,yres=768 ^
-display sdl ^
-boot d ^
-cdrom D:\Apps\qemu-ppc\904internal.iso ^
-hda D:\Apps\qemu-ppc\MacOS9.0.4.qcow2 
Also, I have tried with a regular raw .img, but that doesn't change anything.
At this point, I dunno what to do. All the tutorials seem to be out of date and don't work. qemu-m68k sure isn't this finicky!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

All your observations are correct ;-)
However, you are running an experimental build. With the exception of the "only one USB device" issue regarding Mac OS 9.04, all others do not apply to the regular build from the Qemu official source. Our guide only covers the regular builds.

To run the screamer build with Mac OS 9.04 (which should contain a rom version above 5.6 as found on e.g. the Cube 9.04 installation CD image) you indeed need to set the cpu to G3, memory above 64 Mb but below 1024 Mb, and run mac99 (this defaults to mac99,via=cuda).

You might follow our guide to install Mac OS 9.04 with the regular build and then run the Mac OS 9.04 disk image with the screamer build (keeping both builds in separate folders).
Please note that using the adb mouse/keyboard sometimes requires some wiggling with the mouse for boot to continue.

Best,
Cat_7
finkmac
Space Cadet

Post by finkmac »

To bring some closure:
I ended up using the Cube 9.0.4 disc, and installed via the regular build. After that, I was able to boot the screamer build with the resulting image.

At that point, screamer worked fine, although the mouse was VERY jumpy and I found it basically unusable.

Is there any way to calm the mouse down? In the meantime I have been using the regular build. Works very well!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The adb mouse does indeed jump when the system is under stress (like when playing audio).
If you do not explicitly need Mac OS 9.0.4, your only option for a more or less stable system is to run the screamer build with Mac OS 9.2 with via=pmu (which by default uses usb mouse and keyboard).

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Cat_7 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:02 pm 14-12-2022
Qemu-Win64-7.2-14-12-2022.zip
Hello and happy new year, Emaculation! What are the requirements for this new QEMU release? Under Windows 7 64-bit SP1, qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe immediately crashes (0xc000007b / STATUS INVALID IMAGE FORMAT).

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That's an interesting question. I wouldn't know. It was compiled using msys2 on windows 11.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Oh. That's disappointing, especially given how 11% of the market still use W7, just 5% less than W11. Do you think there would be a way to compile it using what you used last year? Releases from a year ago work just fine under W7.

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I read that as of yesterday Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft .
I guess it would be unwise to build for that platform.

EDIT: and I don't know whether Qemu became reliant on more recent OS features only provided by Windows 10/11.

FIXED that obvious typo ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

You probably meant that as of yesterday, Windows 8.1 has become unsupported. W7 has been unsupported for 3 full years now. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have 20 years old Mac OS goodness emulated on it anymore, especially if it's not even hooked up to the internet! There is no harm in keeping an old W7 PC offline to emulate Mac stuff with QEMU and SheepShaver on it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

that-ben wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:23 pm You probably meant that as of yesterday, Windows 8.1 has become unsupported. W7 has been unsupported for 3 full years now. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have 20 years old Mac OS goodness emulated on it anymore, especially if it's not even hooked up to the internet! There is no harm in keeping an old W7 PC offline to emulate Mac stuff with QEMU and SheepShaver on it.
Win7 was officially out of extended support as of yesterday, along with Windows 8.1.

Older versions of QEmu still work fine for Windows 7 (older emulator for older OS, just like on OS X etc.).

At least nobody's talking about XP support (or Windows 95 support) anymore.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Is there a step by step youtube guide for the experimental sound version of QEMU on windows as well? Again as said earlier, I wanna play Alone in the Dark 1992 and other mac games from that period.

I'm thinking I should do the windows version as that would be easier to record footage of.
archivistofyourblog
Space Cadet

Post by archivistofyourblog »

Hello. I'm installing Mac OS X 10.3. I'm running into some issues following the instructions to boot the installed Mac OS from the hard disk.

#!/bin/bash

./qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios \
-M mac99,via=pmu \
-m 512 \
-boot c \
-drive file=Apple_Mac_OS_X_10.3.0-Disk2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom \
-drive file=osx.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk

Am I misunderstanding the next step? I changed -boot d to -boot c and adjusted the name of my .iso.
When it says to reverse the order does that mean it should actually look like this?
#!/bin/bash

./qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios \
-M mac99,via=pmu \
-m 512 \
-boot c \
-drive file=Apple_Mac_OS_X_10.3.0-Disk2.iso,format=raw,media=disk \
-drive file=osx.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=cdrom

I'm not sure where my issue is.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You should never change the media type: a disk stays a disk, a cdrom stays a cdrom.
The guide says to change -boot d (boot from cdrom) to -boot c (boot from disk) and to put the whole line mentioning the disk before the line with the cdrom.

Take care to end each line (except the last one) with a "\"

This should be correct:

#!/bin/bash

./qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios \
-M mac99,via=pmu \
-m 512 \
-boot c \
-drive file=osx.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk \
-drive file=Apple_Mac_OS_X_10.3.0-Disk2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

Best,
Cat_7
archivistofyourblog
Space Cadet

I ran the script following the guide/ your instructions.

I received the common "Welcome to OpenBIOs..... No valid state has been set by load or init program" error.

Is this because when I first downloaded my disk image it was as
qemu-ing create -f qcow2 osx.qcow2 10G

I also felt unsure so I did additionally create a disk image as:
qemu-ing create -f qcow2 osx.img 10G

I tried once running the command with:
-drive file=osx.img, format=qcow2, media=disk\

I keep running into the same problem every time I'm trying to download Disk2.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by archivistofyourblog on Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I'm not sure what we are talking about here. Are you running Qemu in Windows or macOS?
I assume you are running in Windows as you posted in the Qemu for Windows forum.

-You need to download the 3 CD images (iso's) that together comprise OSX 10.3 into your qemu folder
-You need to create a hard disk image with qemu-img to later hold the installation and to boot from.

It might be best to start again. So remove the qcow2 and img files you created earlier.
-create 1 disk image of type img (not qcow2) 10 Gb with: qemu-img.exe create -f raw osx.img 10G

Then start qemu from OSX 10.3 CD 1 with:

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-m 512 ^
-boot d ^
-drive file=Apple_Mac_OS_X_10.3.0-Disk1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive file=osx.img,format=raw,media=disk

When the installer has started, use disk utility to initialise the hard disk and continue installation.
When the installer asks for CD 2, first edit the batch file so you boot from the hard disk and add CD 2:

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-m 512 ^
-boot c ^
-drive file=osx.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-drive file=Apple_Mac_OS_X_10.3.0-Disk2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

Then shutdown Mac OS and start Qemu again. The installation should continue from CD 2. When the installer asks for CD 3, edit the batch file to point to CD 3
-drive file=Apple_Mac_OS_X_10.3.0-Disk3.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

Shut down OSX and start Qemu again.

Best,
Cat_7
archivistofyourblog
Space Cadet

Cat_7! My issues are completely resolved now! Thank you for your suggestion. And yes, I was running Qemu in Windows for Mac OS. I think some of my problem was that I kept switching between the Windows guide and the Mac guide (out of curiosity as this is my first time building an emulator and wanted to learn both processes.) Must have confused my steps during that process. Thank you for your help!
codoodguy
Student Driver

Post by codoodguy »

Are the screamer builds still recommended for use? I'm curious if the screamer patches are mainlined into qemu.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

To have audio support these are still recommended, the patches are not yet in the main source code.
I'll create some new builds when Qemu 8.1 is released.

Best,
Cat_7
codoodguy
Student Driver

Post by codoodguy »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:16 pm To have audio support these are still recommended, the patches are not yet in the main source code.
I'll create some new builds when Qemu 8.1 is released.

Best,
Cat_7
I'd like to ask, is the ati-vga device still being developed for qemu?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Not to my knowledge. See here: https://osdn.net/projects/qmiga/wiki/SubprojectAti

There are, however, developments going on regarding shared folder access/booting from a local disk and virtio-gpu support.
Besides that, work is being done on supporting the next cube machine.

Best,
Cat_7
codoodguy
Student Driver

Post by codoodguy »

Cat_7 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:42 pm
Not to my knowledge. See here: https://osdn.net/projects/qmiga/wiki/SubprojectAti

There are, however, developments going on regarding shared folder access/booting from a local disk and virtio-gpu support.
Besides that, work is being done on supporting the next cube machine.

Best,
Cat_7
Wait am I reading this right? virtio-gpu? With virgl? Will it be OSX only or will it also work with OS9? What concerns me is that apparently virgl can only do 32bpp so far at the moment. Which can be concerning for a majority of OS 9 and below games.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I have no idea how far this will go or which hosts can ultimately benefit. The development of Qemu's 9p support for windows seems to have stalled.

Best,
Cat_7
codoodguy
Student Driver

Post by codoodguy »

Cat_7 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:43 pm I have no idea how far this will go or which hosts can ultimately benefit. The development of Qemu's 9p support for windows seems to have stalled.

Best,
Cat_7
Have you guys tried looking at WinUAE's mouse code? The polling rate there is very smooth, and it is very compatible with certain games. As great as the usb tablet ndrv's are, it breaks compatibility with first person shooters.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

codoodguy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:39 am
Cat_7 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:43 pm I have no idea how far this will go or which hosts can ultimately benefit. The development of Qemu's 9p support for windows seems to have stalled.

Best,
Cat_7
Have you guys tried looking at WinUAE's mouse code? The polling rate there is very smooth, and it is very compatible with certain games. As great as the usb tablet ndrv's are, it breaks compatibility with first person shooters.
WinUAE does things very differently from QEMU; QEMU's goal is to be exact more than being smooth. Basilisk II does use WinUAE code though, and could probably do with borrowing from the mouse polling.