Sound in System 7 or 7.1 under macOS?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Sound in System 7 or 7.1 under macOS?

Post by emendelson »

The latest build of BasiliskII plays the startup sound under macOS, but - with System 7.0.1 or System 7.1, I can't get any of the sounds listed in the Sound control panel to play. These sounds work correctly in BasiliskII for Windows, but not with my installations of BasiliskII for macOS.

Sound works perfectly in my System 7.5.5 and System 7.6.1 setups under macOS, but not in 7.0.1 or 7.1. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with BasiliskII for macOS here?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Sound in System 7 or 7.1 under macOS?

Post by adespoton »

Did you remember to select the sound output device from the Sound control panel? If no output device is selected, the sound goes to dev/null instead of your speakers.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Sound in System 7 or 7.1 under macOS?

Post by emendelson »

Thank you for that response. As it happens, the Sound control panel that ships with System 7.0 and 7.1 does not have the option to select the output. As I finally discovered, I needed to install QuickTime 2.5 - which installed the Sound control panel with choice of output. When I did that, it worked correctly.

I wouldn't have figured this out without your comment. Thank you again.

EDIT: But the original issue remains: BasiliskII doesn't produce sound from the original System 7.0 or 7.1 Sound control panel. This may be worth looking into.