Right clicking

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Right clicking

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Other than Ctrl + click, is there any way of right clicking under SheepShaver?

I've tried MouseWare 4.0.6, which tells me it can't run on my computer. May that's because I don't have a Logitech mouse? I only have a regular MightyMouse.

I've also tried Microsoft Intellipoint 2.3.2, and it installs, but it does nothing, because I don't have a Microsoft mouse.

I've also tried USB Overdrive 1.4, but it doesn't seem to to anything.

Are there any tweaks whereby one the above applications will work? Can anyone mention another one that will work?

Thanks.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Thinking about my own question above, I've come to believe that the answer may be in the BasiliskII_keycodes translation. Is there a scancode and a Mac keycode for the mouse right button? Shouldn't that be included in that file?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As far as I am aware, there is no way to make right-clicks work in SheepShaver for MacOSX.

The keycodes file is useful when you use a keyboard lay-out that is different from a standard American QWERTY keyboard lay-out. The BasiliskII keycodes file can be used with SheepShaver.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:As far as I am aware, there is no way to make right-clicks work in SheepShaver for MacOSX.
I think you are indeed right. Seeing the lack of response of such things as USB Overdrive or TheMouse2B on OS 9.0.4 running under SheepShaver for OS X, I've reached the conclusion that the only "mouse" OS 9 "sees" is the one SheepShaver says there is: A one-button mouse with a wheel. That's it. It's a pity, though, that BasiliskII seems to have a special configuration (rightmouse <1>?) for a two-button mouse, or perhaps for swapping clicks for left-handed people. Can't a future build of SheepShaver take advantage of such things and let OS 9 know that the 'SheepShaver mouse' has two buttons?
That would be really wonderful.
These past couple of days I've been following some of the hints provided on this forum and I've been able to copy most of the actual Classic 9.2.2 installation that came with my Panther disks over to 9.0.4. It seems even the USB extension and panels work (the only caveat, of course, is that the SheepShaver "computer" has no USB connectors of any kind). The only 9.2.2 application that doesn't work on SheepShaver is QuickTime 6.0.3. I currently run QuickTime 5.0.1 and it seems to work fine. After hacking the System file with ResEdit making OS believe it's 9.2.1, all 9.2.2 control panels work, except for Monitors, Startup Disk and QuickTime 6.0.3, of course. I haven't tried replacing the Login or Panels files either, of course.
What I mean to say is that there is so little missing to have a fully functioning TRUE Classic running on Intel and Leopard! Let's hope the developers somehow manage to give it a final push.
Last edited by PeterHolbrook on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrLex
Tinkerer

Post by DrLex »

Since a right-click in classic Mac OS is equivalent (as far as I know) to a ctrl-click, couldn't a right-click be simulated in SheepShaver by sending a ctrl-click to the classic OS when the user right-clicks? There should be a short delay between the simulated "ctrl key down" and the click, like 0.1sec.
I believe classic Mac OS and the Classic environment did this, because I had implemented ctrl-clicks in some HyperCard stacks (using an XFCN which detected if the ctrl key was held down), and it worked when right-clicking too.
Last edited by DrLex on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver does support control-click, but it does not support right-click, even when the MacOS running in SheepShaver does support right-click.
rleatherwood
Space Cadet

Post by rleatherwood »

Right click works for me.

I used a great piece of software for Mac OS X called ControllerMate ($15). It requires a little thought to program but it does amazing things with HID devices. I used a keyboard output and a virtual mouse button output to configure the right click with my DELL 2 button mouse.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Nice find! It always fascinates me to see how people come up with all those different solutions.

Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

rleatherwood wrote:Right click works for me.

I used a great piece of software for Mac OS X called ControllerMate ($15). It requires a little thought to program but it does amazing things with HID devices. I used a keyboard output and a virtual mouse button output to configure the right click with my DELL 2 button mouse.
I downloaded the program, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. Can you provide the details about the steps necessary to make a right click on a Mighty Mouse to turn into ctrl-click on SS?
rleatherwood
Space Cadet

Post by rleatherwood »

<please note that I have updated this post about 4 times already :-). I keep on finding things to add 6/4/08 @ 8:20 PST >

In ControllerMate perform the following steps. Make sure that both the Palette and Inspector windows are open:

1. Click on the Virtual Controller "tab"

2. Create a virtual mouse by clicking the "M" icon at the bottom of the window

3. Click the Programming "tab"

4. Create a new group (press the "G" icon at the bottom of the window)

5. In the Inspector window, label the group "SheepShaver".

6. Then click on the popup that says "always" and change it to "if the following are running" under "Application Requirements".

7. Next click the + icon that appears -- this will let you assign an application to the group

8. Select SheepShaver and then change the popup from "Both" to "Foreground"

9. Now, in the main window, click the "P" icon to create a programming page

10. In the Palette window, select "Controllers" from the pop-up menu. Locate your mighty mouse. Click the Mighty Mouse icon to show the inputs.

11. At this point, right click your mouse button. You should see one of the button indicators flash ON/OFF in the Palette window as you click your right mouse button.

12. Drag this button to the programming page (usually labeled Button #2)

13. From the Palette window, select "Output" from the pop-up menu

14. Locate the "Single Key" output and drag it to the programming page under your mighty mouse button (and to the left)

15. Click the "Single Key" output button on the programming page and click the Control checkbox in the inspector window

16. From the Palette window, select "Timers" from the pop-up menu

17. Drag the Delay object to the programming page under the Mighty Mous button to the right

18. In the Inspector window, change the seconds to 0.15

19. Now, reselect "Controllers" from the Palette window and find the "Virtual Mouse" that you created and click on it

20. Drag the Virtual Mouse Button #1 to the programming page under the delay button

21. Attach your Mighty Mouse button to the top of both the Delay and "Single Key" controls using the handle (says ON/OFF on the "bottom" of the button -- just drag it to the top of each of the objects)

22. Drag the Delay object handle to the Virtual Mouse button

23. At this point you should have two lines from your Mighty Mouse button to both the Delay control and the "Single Key" control and then a line from the Delay control to your Virtual Mouse button

24. Click the right mighty mouse button. The ON/OFF indicator should go "ON" and both programming buttons should go "ON"

25. Start SheepShaver and you should be good to go
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

rleatherwood wrote:<please note that I have updated this post about 4 times already :-). I keep on finding things to add 6/4/08 @ 8:20 PST >

In ControllerMate perform the following steps. Make sure that both the Palette and Inspector windows are open:

1. Click on the Virtual Controller "tab"

25. Start SheepShaver and you should be good to go
That was amazing. It works pretty well. Just wandering. Have you succeeded in getting the Controller Mate Virtual Mouse to emulate horizontal scrolling (using the Mighty Mouse ball) inside the SheepShaver windows? My hunch is that it will be achievable.
I was expecting that the ControllerMate should be running at all times for this trick to work, so I was very surprised that it does its thing in a stealthy way (as long as ControllerMate is installed).
Thanks.
rleatherwood
Space Cadet

Post by rleatherwood »

I haven't tried that yet. It is possible. There are some examples on the OrderedByte webpage that show how to do it (probably takes more than 25 steps :-) ).

I actually didn't even think about using ControllerMate for the right click until I read your initial post. I just had to try it out. I initially got the program for my PS2 controller (using a PSX-->USB converter) so I could use that with AlephOne and Doomsday/DOOM Legacy.

Since ControllerMate also works with media keys on keyboards, it is probably possible to program them to work with SheepShaver. Another project for another day.
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Post by kelvin31415 »

PeterHolbrook wrote:Seeing the lack of response of such things as USB Overdrive or TheMouse2B on OS 9.0.4 running under SheepShaver for OS X, ...
I just tried TheMouse2B in Mac OS 8.6 under SheepShaver, and it appears to work, except that it is responding to the middle mouse-button rather than to the right button. When I click the middle button, it simulates a control-click.

I don't have an OS 9.0.4 to try it with.

TheMouse2B can be found here: http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperAr ... -2b-11.hqx.

As for the fact that it seems to be responding to the wrong button, perhaps SheepShaver has its button numbers mixed up. I'll investigate that possibility when I get the chance.
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Post by kelvin31415 »

Indeed, SheepShaver does have its button numbers mixed up, resulting in the middle and right buttons being reversed. I have a fix for this, which I will seek to have delivered into the source tree. The bug is actually in BasiliskII code and affects both applications.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

kelvin31415 wrote:Indeed, SheepShaver does have its button numbers mixed up, resulting in the middle and right buttons being reversed. I have a fix for this, which I will seek to have delivered into the source tree. The bug is actually in BasiliskII code and affects both applications.
Great! Looking forward to the new build that corrects this situation. I tried TheMouse2B 1.1 several weeks ago, but no luck. No wonder it didn't work back then! Thank you for your good work.
zegino
Space Cadet

Post by zegino »

Just for information : using TheMouse2B 1.1 with the last (21.07.2008) SheepShaver build works fine for me (PowerBook G4 and Mac OS X 10.4.11).

Thanks a lot for all the (well done) work

:P
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Post by kelvin31415 »

FYI, I have been in touch with the author of TheMouse2B, and he has kindly consented to consider it freeware -- you need not feel guilty about using it without paying the shareware fee. He was delighted to hear that something he wrote years ago is still proving useful.
lampiaio
Space Cadet

Re: Right clicking

Post by lampiaio »

For those interested in making this work more than a decade later (this still seems to be the only solution!), you can download the Control Panel mentioned above from archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20060905103 ... -2b-11.hqx

The middle-click/right-click bug appears to have been fixed--native right-click is working perfectly for me. SheepShaver-Windows-26-01-2022 running Mac OS 9.0.
triclon
Space Cadet

Re: Right clicking

Post by triclon »

Thank you for the updated link. I was just wondering why right clicking was not working, and you saved the day!