Disk is Locked

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

oldmancoyote1
Space Cadet

Disk is Locked

Post by oldmancoyote1 »

Basilisk II Version 1.0 with 68040 ROM
Running on MacBook Pro Silicon
Running Ventura 13.1

Several years ago I installed Basilisk II, and I have successfully ran HyperCard for years. I have not used it recently. I just migrated to 13.1 on silicon and while HyperCard works fine, I can't save my work. The Save option is dimmed or I get the Disk Is Locked error message.

How should I proceed?

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Disk is Locked

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. You "migrated". That usually means migrating to a new machine. From what kind of machine with which OSX/macOS version did you migrate to macOS 13.1 on Apple Silicon?

2. Which BasiliskII build (date!) do you use? (The version number is of no use for identifying the build, BasiliskII has been in version 1.0 for decades.)

3. Where (to which disk or volume) do you want to save your work?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

oldmancoyote1 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:25 pm Basilisk II Version 1.0 with 68040 ROM
Running on MacBook Pro Silicon
Running Ventura 13.1

Several years ago I installed Basilisk II, and I have successfully ran HyperCard for years. I have not used it recently. I just migrated to 13.1 on silicon and while HyperCard works fine, I can't save my work. The Save option is dimmed or I get the Disk Is Locked error message.

How should I proceed?

Thanks
Most likely Ventura hasn't granted Basilisk II write access to the folder where your disk image is stored. You can do this in the Security area of System Settings.
oldmancoyote1
Space Cadet

Post by oldmancoyote1 »

BasiliskII's info window shows its icon with the back-slash O symbol for locked.

I just gave it full disk access, but no change.

Prior Machine: 2015 mid-year MacBook Pro 15" running Ventura 13.1

Date of BasiliskII: Monday, October 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Which disk: Both the emulated disk and the UNIX disk are locked as are all the folders/windows on the desktop.

I do appreciate your helping me on this.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

oldmancoyote1 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:38 pm BasiliskII's info window shows its icon with the back-slash O symbol for locked.

I just gave it full disk access, but no change.

Prior Machine: 2015 mid-year MacBook Pro 15" running Ventura 13.1

Date of BasiliskII: Monday, October 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Which disk: Both the emulated disk and the UNIX disk are locked as are all the folders/windows on the desktop.

I do appreciate your helping me on this.
Hmm... multiple issues going on here. 2011 builds of BII shouldn't be functional on Ventura; you'll want to download the latest build from viewtopic.php?t=7361

This is likely causing the other issues, because the 2011 build wouldn't be notarized. It was built for OS X 10.6. I'm guessing it worked on your old computer because it had been there since before notarization became a thing, so XProtect ignored it?

The build you're using appears to be Vasi's build, which comes with a separate GUI. You may want to re-acquaint yourself with all the changes that have happened with BII in the past 11.5 years, after downloading a new version and before firing it up. Your config file is likely to have a few small inconsistencies.
oldmancoyote1
Space Cadet

Post by oldmancoyote1 »

Thank you for your help. I'll work on it tomorrow.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The October 2011 build will not work on Ventura at all, it should have stopped working on several macOS versions earlier already.

The latest recommended builds can be downloaded from this post: viewtopic.php?t=7361
See also the revised setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup
oldmancoyote1
Space Cadet

Post by oldmancoyote1 »

Making good progress. I inadvertently use the 32bit GUI app. Disks are still locked. Where is the 64 bit GUI app?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Please look again at the post that Ronald referred you to. Search for the string "a public beta".
oldmancoyote1
Space Cadet

Post by oldmancoyote1 »

System 7 is up.
Thank you.

How do I get the contents of my original .vol file into the new .dsk file?
How do I upgrade the System to the latest system?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The old .vol file is your original system volume?
Then, in the volumes list in the GUI, replace the .dsk file by your old .vol file and you should have back your original setup.

What do you mean with upgrading to the latest System? Which System version do you have now and which System version do you want to run in BasiliskII?
oldmancoyote1
Space Cadet

Post by oldmancoyote1 »

The GUI won't let me add the .vol file. It's grayed out.

I've resolved the System question.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

oldmancoyote1 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:58 pm The GUI won't let me add the .vol file. It's grayed out.

I've resolved the System question.
Will it let you add it if you rename it from .vol to .dsk?
oldmancoyote1
Space Cadet

Post by oldmancoyote1 »

Success.

Changing .vol to .dsk allowed the disk to be mounted, but it remained locked.

So, I created a new .dsk, added it to the GUI, and completed an install. Then, I copied the contents of the old disk to the new disk. I ran HC from the new disk successfully, but it could not save a document anywhere. So, I quit BasiliskII, and I used the GUI to install the system on to the new disk. So far everything looks good.

Folks, thank you for your help.