Can't mount CD-ROM disk image

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

stephenk
Space Cadet

Can't mount CD-ROM disk image

Post by stephenk »

I'm running OS 9.0 on version 2.5 (Universal) of SheepShaver on an Intel Mac running 10.14.6 Mojave.

I’m trying to mount an .iso disk image I created from a CD-ROM.

When I add it to the list of Files in SheepShaver prefs, it does not mount on launch of OS9, regardless of checking the CD-ROM checkbox or not. Either way, nothing appears.

The CD is valid and will mount on Mojave. The disk image is also valid and will mount on Mojave.

Any ideas on what may be wrong? Thanks!
stephenk
Space Cadet

Re: Can't mount CD-ROM disk image

Post by stephenk »

Weird, I just got it to work by making a new image using a different method. For reference:

First I tried making the disk image using Terminal, i.e.:

Code: Select all

diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk8s1s2
sudo dd if=/dev/disk8s1s2 of="MyCDName.iso"
While the operation appeared to be successful, this would not mount in SheepShaver.

Then I found these instructions on how to do it within Disk Utility. I had tried that before but it failed; due to me missing the step of setting the format to "DVD/CD Master":
Open Disk Utility. You will see on the left under External your drive and below that the disk you couldn’t read greyed out. It will be called something like “disk3s1s2.”
Right click the disk and select “image from disk(whatever the name is).” Change the Format to “DVD/CD master.” Name the disk something that makes sense, and save it some place you think appropriate. You will be prompted for your password. Wait a few minutes as Disk Utility creates a copy of the disk as an image. The resulting image will have the extension .cdr (at least for CDs, DVDs or other disk types might have a different extension).
This version ending in .cdr mounts in SheepShaver!