How to transfer files from Windows host to Mac OS 9.2.1 guest.

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

osx-lover
Student Driver

How to transfer files from Windows host to Mac OS 9.2.1 guest.

Post by osx-lover »

Hi,

I know that there's a way to transfer files from a macOS host to a System 7 guest on Basilisk II via the network, because there's a video on YouTube by the Macintosh Librarian on how to setup Basilisk II, including the network, on macOS:
How to setup Basilisk II on Mac
(this is actually how I first discovered them, by the way.)

The question is, is there a similar process for doing this on QEMU on Windows? And if so, what is it?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: How to transfer files from Windows host to Mac OS 9.2.1 guest.

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, you can read the networking part in our guide:

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... networking

For a file server to show up in the chooser, you need to have some other machine (or emulated machine) also running the Apple Filing Protocol or Appletalk.

Best,
Cat_7
osx-lover
Student Driver

Post by osx-lover »

So, I was researching the bridged-network-tap-device thing, and it seems really hard. Does Mac OS 9 support SMB natively or do I have to install some software.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

osx-lover wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:36 am So, I was researching the bridged-network-tap-device thing, and it seems really hard. Does Mac OS 9 support SMB natively or do I have to install some software.
You'd need to install some software. But even then it's not that simple, as the two options, DAVE and another that's slipped my mind, both do LanMan authentication only, which isn't supported by modern Macs, and has to be explicitly enabled in Linux and Windows (it isn't turned on by default because it's insecure and has known vulnerabilities).
osx-lover
Student Driver

Post by osx-lover »

adespoton wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:15 pm
osx-lover wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:36 am So, I was researching the bridged-network-tap-device thing, and it seems really hard. Does Mac OS 9 support SMB natively or do I have to install some software.
You'd need to install some software. But even then it's not that simple, as the two options, DAVE and another that's slipped my mind, both do LanMan authentication only, which isn't supported by modern Macs, and has to be explicitly enabled in Linux and Windows (it isn't turned on by default because it's insecure and has known vulnerabilities).
How do you enable it? Is it going to cut off my access to the modern internet?
osx-lover
Student Driver

Post by osx-lover »

Another thing is, I obviously can't create a floppy disk image or a CD-ROM image and mount it, because back then, Mac OS didn't support the standard ISO-9660 format. I don't think it supported such a format until 10.2. So do you have any recommendations on software that can read and write to HFS+-formatted disks?
osx-lover
Student Driver

Post by osx-lover »

Update: I found out that standard ISO discs are actually compatible with Mac OS 9.2.1. Must have been the first version of Mac OS to support them. But obviously, it isn't all that efficient to make an ISO image for every file you want to transfer, especially when it comes to transferring files from the machine. So I'm still going to install DAVE and find out how to use it.
osx-lover
Student Driver

Post by osx-lover »

So, I got the OpenVPN tap device connected to the emulated machine, but it's not recognizing my computer. What should I do?
osx-lover
Student Driver

Post by osx-lover »

Cat_7 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:23 am Hi, you can read the networking part in our guide:

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... networking

For a file server to show up in the chooser, you need to have some other machine (or emulated machine) also running the Apple Filing Protocol or Appletalk.

Best,
Cat_7
Can you help me with bridging the tap device to my WiFi router?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Let's try something less intrusive and accident prone first ;-)

What are you trying to accomplish? If you bridge your default networking device with a tap device, and setup qemu to use the tap device for networking, you get a ip address from your router and qemu will be able to send/receive appletalk or appletalk over tcp/ip traffic. This will not allow you to transfer files from your windows host into Mac OS 9.2.1. But this kind of network traffic should allow you to connect to another Qemu instance or other old Mac capable of running appletalk on your network to exchange files over appletalk or appletalk over tcp/ip.

Assuming this is not what you want (given the title of this topic), you might be better of by installing and starting a FTP server in Mac OS 9.2.1. And then use a FTP program on Windows to connect to the FTP server in Qemu. That way you can put/get files into/out of Mac OS 9.2.1. If you want this, start by downloading NetPresenz inside Mac OS 9.2.1 from the macintoshgarden site. This program will then have to be configured before it serves files.

In the qemu.bat file add (or change) the networking line:
-device sungem,netdev=network01 -netdev user,id=network01,hostfwd=tcp::2121-:21

You can then download e.g. the Filezilla ftp client software in Windows 10 and connect to the FTP server running in Mac OS 9.2.1.

All this might take some fiddling....

Best,
Cat_7
osx-lover
Student Driver

Post by osx-lover »

Cat_7 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:32 pm Hi,

Let's try something less intrusive and accident prone first ;-)

What are you trying to accomplish? If you bridge your default networking device with a tap device, and setup qemu to use the tap device for networking, you get a ip address from your router and qemu will be able to send/receive appletalk or appletalk over tcp/ip traffic. This will not allow you to transfer files from your windows host into Mac OS 9.2.1. But this kind of network traffic should allow you to connect to another Qemu instance or other old Mac capable of running appletalk on your network to exchange files over appletalk or appletalk over tcp/ip.

Assuming this is not what you want (given the title of this topic), you might be better of by installing and starting a FTP server in Mac OS 9.2.1. And then use a FTP program on Windows to connect to the FTP server in Qemu. That way you can put/get files into/out of Mac OS 9.2.1. If you want this, start by downloading NetPresenz inside Mac OS 9.2.1 from the macintoshgarden site. This program will then have to be configured before it serves files.

In the qemu.bat file add (or change) the networking line:
-device sungem,netdev=network01 -netdev user,id=network01,hostfwd=tcp::2121-:21

You can then download e.g. the Filezilla ftp client software in Windows 10 and connect to the FTP server running in Mac OS 9.2.1.

All this might take some fiddling....

Best,
Cat_7
Hi,

I'm trying to connect to the NetPresenz server, and I just get this:

And my FTP server has the same address:

And it's using port 21

Did I do anything wrong here?

From,
osx-lover
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You may want to try switching between active and passive modes on the client.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

In Windows/Filezilla you should connect to your localhost on port 2121, not to the ip address Mac OS has. That is the purpose of the addition to the network parameter.
The server in Mac OS runs on the default port 21, which is forwarded to your host on port 2121.

From our guide: Forwarding port 21 to the host allows running an ftp server (such as Netpresenz) on an Mac OS 9.x guest and read/write access to the file system of the guest. Make sure to use an FTP client capable of active transfer mode on the host (such as Filezilla, we are dealing with an old guest system after all.) For access to a Mac OS X guest, enable the ftp service.
You can access the guest by connecting to ftp://name-or-ip-adress-of-host:2121 from other machines running on your network.

Best,
Cat_7
osx-lover
Student Driver

Post by osx-lover »

Hi,

The directory listing doesn't show when I log into the server. It just shows this:

Does this have to do with the fact that I only have the ability to transfer ASCII characters?

Or does it have something to do with the active and passive modes that adespoton mentioned?

And if so, how do I switch between the modes?

From
osx-lover

P.S. I obviously filtered out my IP address for privacy reasons. I could tell it to adespoton or Cat_7 in a private email if you guys need it, but you'd better hurry if you need to know about it. Because it might be deleted in the next 24 hours.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You don't need to tell us your ip address ;-)

On the Mac OS side: enable file sharing through the control panel, then at the Users/Group pane open your user. At Show, select Sharing and set allow user to connect and select see all disks.
Next, share your hard drive: select the drive icon, use File/Get info/Sharing to set Share this item and...
Check the Summary in Netpresenz setup. At ftp setup, Owner need full access.

On the filezilla side:
Open Settings.
At FTP set transfer mode to active.
At FTP active mode/Active mode IP set Use the following IP address to your host ip address.
On the same page disable Don't use external IP address.....

In the connection bar, enter localhost and your Mac OS user name and port 2121. Filezilla will ask for your Mac OS password.

That should do it ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
osx-lover
Student Driver

Post by osx-lover »

Okay so I had to reinstall Mac OS because I forgot my password, but your suggestions worked. I tried transferring to the host, and it worked. Then I tried sending a file to the machine and that also worked. Thanks for the help!

From,
osx-lover

Edit: The best part about this is, this doesn't cut off access to the modern Internet, which means you can visit sites like TheOldNet.com and Macintosh Garden on Internet Explorer 5.
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

osx-lover wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:48 pm Update: I found out that standard ISO discs are actually compatible with Mac OS 9.2.1. Must have been the first version of Mac OS to support them. But obviously, it isn't all that efficient to make an ISO image for every file you want to transfer, especially when it comes to transferring files from the machine. So I'm still going to install DAVE and find out how to use it.
ISO 9660 was supported at least as far back as 7.5.3, and here's the screenshot to prove it:

I think I was using it with 7.1 back in the day, but I don't have any emulators set up for that version right now, so I can't verify that directly.
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

System 7.1 was when I got my 4x CD-ROM drive, and it could indeed read ISO-9660-formatted CDs.