Upstream

About Qemu-system-m68k, a m68k Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run MacOS 7.1 to 8.1, AUX 3.x and NetBSD

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

donsmith2060
Space Cadet

Upstream

Post by donsmith2060 »

Just curious,
What needs to be done to get this work upstream?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Upstream

Post by Cat_7 »

I guess the developer is close to upstreaming, however, a small fpu bug has just recently been discovered. And there is an issue with running BSD.
We just have to wait a bit.

Best,
Cat_7
lfnpcsoft
Space Cadet

Post by lfnpcsoft »

Hi! I'd like to ask some questions.
As I was following the guide on E-Maculation website (QEMU version 7.1.50), using the given qemu-system-m68k binary, the emulator booted and ran smoothly.
However, when I was using QEMU binaries from Homebrew (Host OS: macOS 13 on Apple Silicon), it got stuck in a white screen without any words.(QEMU version 7.2.0)
I've also tried to compile qemu-system-m68k from source, but it doesn't work either. (QEMU version 7.2.0)
So I am curious about the differences between the binaries on this website and binaries from Homebrew / built from source code.
Is there any upstream code-related differences? Or just differences when compiling?
Last edited by lfnpcsoft on Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The code for running Mac OS or A/UX on qemu-system-m68k is not yet in the official Qemu repository. Brew bases its builds on the official repository, so when using those you end up with a non-functional binary.
For now, if you want to build your own, you should get the source code from the author:

git clone -b q800.upstream3 https://www.github.com/mcayland/qemu q800-upstream3

Best,
Cat_7
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

Qemu 8.2 now supports emulating System 7.1-8.1 and A/UX 3.0.1.
https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/8.2#68k