How to open floppy disk image & change label ?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

How to open floppy disk image & change label ?

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello everyone !

I don't know where to ask my question I put it here :) ... I would like to open a floppy disk image (.img) & change its label because it is wrong. For that I tried HFVExplorer but it does not want to open the images of diskettes why ?

How do I change the label of a floppy disk image ?

Greetings !
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How to open floppy disk image & change label ?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Just like you can change the name of any file.

Do you mean the name of the image file or the name displayed as the name of the mounted disk?

I suppose you know how the change the name of a file. The name of the mounted disk can be changed when it is mounted in a Mac emulator like BasiliskII. You can change the name of the mounted disk the same way you change the name of a file.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello thank you for your answer !

No I don't want to change the name of the diskette but its label, because during the installation of System 7.1 it asks me for the " Installation 2 " diskette that I insert in the (virtual) drive but its label is " Installation 1 " ?!

How to change the label of a floppy disk ? Why can't HFVExplorer open MAC diskettes ?

Greetings !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Sebiohazard wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:16 pm Hello thank you for your answer !

No I don't want to change the name of the diskette but its label, because during the installation of System 7.1 it asks me for the " Installation 2 " diskette that I insert in the (virtual) drive but its label is " Installation 1 " ?!

How to change the label of a floppy disk ? Why can't HFVExplorer open MAC diskettes ?

Greetings !
What emulator are you trying to use?

System 7.1 has multiple install disks, two of which are Installation 1 and Installation 2. You need both of them. Mini vMac can load them all at once and auto-select them during install; Basilisk II can do the same. But changing the name of the mounted disk won't magically make the content of Installation 2 show up on Installation 1.

As for changing the disk's name (not the image's name), you can do that in a hex editor on Windows. But as I said, that won't make the install succeed.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

adespoton wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:45 pm What emulator are you trying to use?
It's a bit complicated I'm doing nested emulation :) I'm using WinUAE to emulate an A1200 with HDD & ShapeShifter to emulate the MAC.
But when I mount my floppy image in WinUAE in DF0 (see picture) + CrossMAC in the WB the label doesn't match & the installation can't proceed when asked " Installation 2 " since this floppy is seen as " Installation 1 " ?

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As I wrote above, The label of the disk, like the label of any disk, can be changed when it is mounted in MacOS. It is done the same way as renaming a file.

However, how could the floppy disk "Installation 2" be labelled "Installation 1"? That does not happen easily by accident. Are you sure the content of that disk is indeed the content of "Installation 2"? Better try to find a different set of System 7.1 installation disks.

Edit: Are you sure it is the label that is wrong? Or does your setup not release the first disk? You can check the label in a regular MacOS installation in, for instance. BasiliskII.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello finally I abandoned the idea of ​​installing System 7.1 (in addition the sound does not work) in favor of System 7.5 here very fast on WinUAE & with functional sound directly !

I don't know why but the emulation is better on Amiga with ShapeShifter than on Windows with Basilik II ??? Another advantage of this nested emulation the use of CrossMAC allows the transfer of files directly from the WB & is really very practical, much more practical than with HFVExplorer, too bad it doesn't exist on Windows ?!

Greetings :)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Sebiohazard wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:10 pm Hello finally I abandoned the idea of ​​installing System 7.1 (in addition the sound does not work) in favor of System 7.5 here very fast on WinUAE & with functional sound directly !

I don't know why but the emulation is better on Amiga with ShapeShifter than on Windows with Basilik II ??? Another advantage of this nested emulation the use of CrossMAC allows the transfer of files directly from the WB & is really very practical, much more practical than with HFVExplorer, too bad it doesn't exist on Windows ?!

Greetings :)
Which version of Basilisk II were you using before this nested emulation? I've found it blazingly fast on Windows for over a decade, and it has the built in My Computer shared folder for file transfers.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Version 1.1 ?! For example the Flashback game is very slow on Windows & at normal speed in nested emulation ?!

I did not know that we could make transfers directly on Windows?! How to proceed ?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Sebiohazard wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:20 pm Version 1.1 ?! For example the Flashback game is very slow on Windows & at normal speed in nested emulation ?!

I did not know that we could make transfers directly on Windows?! How to proceed ?
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii