Will SheepShaver work with the M2?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

davidshermantax
Tinkerer

Will SheepShaver work with the M2?

Post by davidshermantax »

Does anyone know whether the MacBook Pros just released with the new M2 chip will run SheepShaver? I use Mac OS 9 applications extensively for my work, all runs fine on my 3-year-old MacBook Pro running Monterey, but we're looking at replacing my wife's 7-year-old laptop with the latest from Apple. I need hers available as a backup in case mine fails because we're travelling all the time, so I need to know if my SheepShaver environment will port to the newest machine ok. (I see from other postings that it runs under Ventura, but I wonder if the new chip will change anything.)

Thanks.

David M. Sherman, LLB, LLM / Tax Lawyer & Author / 416-781-4622 / ds@davidsherman.ca / www.davidsherman.ca
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Will SheepShaver work with the M2?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver runs fine on M1, there is no technical reason why it would not run on M2 also. The same processor family.

You will need the latest SheepShaver build posted in the forum. And you may need a newer version of the keycodes file, if you use one.
See: viewtopic.php?t=7360

You can continue to use all other files in your setup. Depending on how you move or migrate your setup, you may need to correct paths to files in Preferences (called "Settings" since Ventura).
davidshermantax
Tinkerer

Re: Will SheepShaver work with the M2?

Post by davidshermantax »

Thank you, Ronald!