Qemu-system-m68k-Win64 to run Mac OS 7-8 / AUX3.x / NetBSD

About Qemu-system-m68k, a m68k Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run MacOS 7.1 to 8.1, AUX 3.x and NetBSD

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Qemu-system-m68k-Win64 to run Mac OS 7-8 / AUX3.x / NetBSD

Post by Cat_7 »

Here are some builds of qemu-system-m68k for Windows.

Read our guide: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/m6 ... on-windows

20-12-2023
Qemu-system-m68k-8.2-Win64-20-12-2023.zip
https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... q/download

Cumulative fixes and enhancements:

Fixes:
-Audio support has been reworked. No more stuttering, and stereo works
-Audio stuttering should be solved (except for limited stuttering during the startup sound).
-Virtual Memory now works.

Enhancements:
-The capability to run Mac OS 7-8, AUX 3 and NetBSD is now integrated into 1 executable.
-Specifying disk and cdrom entries on the command line has been simplified.

Have fun,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu-system-m68k-Win64 to run Mac OS 7-8 / AUX3.x / NetBSD

Post by Cat_7 »

Here are our experimental builds:

26-12-2023
Qemu-m68k-Win64-qfb-experimental-26-12-2023.zip
https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... 3/download

Enhancements: This build allows Mac OS and A/UX to run in a multiple monitor setup, with arbitrary resolutions and gamma correction.
Due to differences in the pram file and the included rom file to enable the displays, you should place this download in its own folder.
peanutbutter71
Student Driver

Post by peanutbutter71 »

I'm curious what repository I could download this build from to compile it for Linux.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

qemu-system-m68k was compiled from the q800.upstream2-vm branch at https://github.com/mcayland/qemu
qemu-system-m68k with arbitrary resolutions and multi display option was compiled from the arbitrary-resolutions branch at https://github.com/SolraBizna/qemu

Best,
Cat_7
peanutbutter71
Student Driver

Post by peanutbutter71 »

Thank you. I've had a lot of luck running Mac OS 7.1 and 7.5.x in previous builds, but haven't tried AUX yet, will try it with this build.
peanutbutter71
Student Driver

Post by peanutbutter71 »

I think it worked, but I've never installed AUX before, but this command shell and the boot screens make me think it worked.

I was also able to install Mac OS 7.5.1 with this same build.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Sure, that is A/UX. System 7.0.1 would otherwise not run in Qemu.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:22 pm Sure, that is A/UX. System 7.0.1 would otherwise not run in Qemu.

Best,
Cat_7
I was wondering: is there any notable difference between A/UX's 7.0.1 and bare metal 7.0.1? Because this is a useful way of extending the OS range that QEMU can run on.

Actually, I just realized: System 7.0 should run natively on the current emulated Quadra... as long as you install https://www.aux-penelope.com/jagubox/AA ... er.img.hqx in the Extensions folder. Has anyone tried this yet?

And for those trying to figure out how to install A/UX: everything you need is available here: https://www.aux-penelope.com/aux_3.0.htm
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

And for those trying to figure out how to install A/UX: everything you need is available here: https://www.aux-penelope.com/aux_3.0.htm
With the exception that Qemu will not run from the floppy images available there. And the networking guide over there will not do. Best follow:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/m6 ... in_windows

Best,
Cat_7
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

adespoton wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:40 pm Actually, I just realized: System 7.0 should run natively on the current emulated Quadra... as long as you install https://www.aux-penelope.com/jagubox/AA ... er.img.hqx in the Extensions folder. Has anyone tried this yet?
It's been years since I last used this account, so hello again!
I actually tried installing the System Enabler 040 extension (both version 1.0, available in the System 7.1 hard disk image provided in the QEMU Emaculation guide, and 1.1, which you've kindly provided here) onto installs of both System 7.0.1 and System 7.1b7 (a beta release of 7.1 dated about two months before the GM build) on the current QEMU builds provided here. Unfortunately, neither of them led to much success; the System 7.0.1 installs still errored out as follows when trying to boot from them:

The System 7.1 beta had a more interesting result; QEMU gets to the Happy Mac, but then stalls there indefinitely on the regular build. On the experimental FB build, the screen goes black almost instantly after the Happy Mac (screenshot shown below).

Based on these two results, it does seem that the GM release of System 7.1 is the earliest bare metal Mac OS that runs on QEMU currently.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, I've successfully got A/UX 3.1.1 installed, so my next step is to take the System 7.0.1 System folder off of that boot, and give it its own image, to see if it boots. After that, I'll compare it with the retail 7.0.1 to see what's different.

But no matter what, you're going to need the 040 enabler extension before 7.0.1 will boot on a Quadra.

[edit] Looks like the special A/UX Mac driver partition is needed for 701 to boot. I can't even get the System Folder to bless on my Mac OS 8.1 image.

[edit2] I tried just using the A/UX installer to install System 7 without A/UX, and got the same hardware boot error (although it said "This version of System 7.1" which was odd).
superpete
Inquisitive Elf

Post by superpete »

Build works great! I'm using it with MacOS 7.5.5 and it's been terrific. Love that it's "real" emulation, rather than hooking exceptions like Basilisk - MacBugs works now :lol:

Does anyone know if it's possible to specify the CPU emulation speed? It's super fast, which is generally great - but I'm testing some old code and would like to see if I can get it closer to the real performance!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

superpete wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:29 pm Build works great! I'm using it with MacOS 7.5.5 and it's been terrific. Love that it's "real" emulation, rather than hooking exceptions like Basilisk - MacBugs works now :lol:

Does anyone know if it's possible to specify the CPU emulation speed? It's super fast, which is generally great - but I'm testing some old code and would like to see if I can get it closer to the real performance!
Nope; QEMU still isn't quite "real" emulation. You can adjust the clock speed, but you can't adjust the speed QEMU actually emulates at.

However, there's a great discussion about using system extensions to accomplish this over at https://macintoshgarden.org/forum/syste ... a-real-mac - you may want to check that out.
gmipf
Space Cadet

Post by gmipf »

I wanted to share my own compiled 32bit Windows binary since I needed to attach my SCSI HDD through an Adaptec USB2Xchange adapter which only has 32bit Windows drivers. It is working great on Windows 10 inside KVM/Qemu. This is also based off the latest patch.

qemu-system-m68k_w32_q800.upstream2-vm_20230117_f25b347.zip

If you want to attach a drive, add something like this to the *.bat file:

Code: Select all

-device scsi-hd,scsi-id=6,drive=hd6 ^
-drive file=\\.\PhysicalDriveN,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=hd6
Where N is your drive number, 0 is the first hard disk. You need to run the *.bat as admin when attaching a physical drive.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

gmipf wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:42 pm I wanted to share my own compiled 32bit Windows binary since I needed to attach my SCSI HDD through an Adaptec USB2Xchange adapter which only has 32bit Windows drivers. It is working great on Windows 10 inside KVM/Qemu. This is also based off the latest patch.

qemu-system-m68k_w32_q800.upstream2-vm_20230117_f25b347.zip

If you want to attach a drive, add something like this to the *.bat file:

Code: Select all

-device scsi-hd,scsi-id=6,drive=hd6 ^
-drive file=\\.\PhysicalDriveN,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=hd6
Where N is your drive number, 0 is the first hard disk. You need to run the *.bat as admin when attaching a physical drive.
Thanks for sharing! It's great that the ancient SCSI BII build and SoftMac XP are no longer the only SCSI hardware-supporting emulators in town :)

Anyone know how easy this would be to do on macOS/Linux?
MetalPlateMage
Space Cadet

Post by MetalPlateMage »

Hi. I've been trying to get a setup going with Mac OS 7, but have been encountering some issues.

- I followed the guide from https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/m6 ... on-windows and got 7 up and running, but I can't figure out a way to get it to read CDs, or any way to get any files on the drive from Windows. I installed CD ROM support and QuickTime from the 7.1 drive, though the CD ROM control panel says it isn't supported on this mac.

- Usually I use TransMac or HFS Explorer, but both of those are saying that the drive formatted with the HD SC Tool aren't HFS drives. Mac System 7 within Qemu-m68k is saying that it is a HFS drive. Normally HFS Explorer etc. work with Basilisk II etc..

Here's an example of my .bat, though I can only ever get it to read the 7.1 disk in hard drive mode as pointed to in the guide and the link in it:
----------
"qemu-system-m68k.exe" ^
-L "pc-bios" ^
-M q800 ^
-m 128 ^
-bios quadra800.ROM ^
-display sdl ^
-drive "file=pram-macos.img,format=raw,if=mtd" ^
-device scsi-hd,scsi-id=0,drive=hd0 ^
-drive "file=MacOS7.img,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=hd0" ^
-device scsi-hd,scsi-id=1,drive=hd1 ^
-drive "file=MacOS753.dsk,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=hd1" ^
-device scsi-cd,scsi-id=3,drive=cd0 ^
-drive "file=s7.toast,media=cdrom,if=none,id=cd0"
-----------
Nothing with scsi-cd/cd0 seems to work, and neither scsi-hd/cd works with iso/toast files. It starts ok with them, just nothing happens.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

MetalPlateMage wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:40 am Hi. I've been trying to get a setup going with Mac OS 7, but have been encountering some issues.

- I followed the guide from https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/m6 ... on-windows and got 7 up and running, but I can't figure out a way to get it to read CDs, or any way to get any files on the drive from Windows. I installed CD ROM support and QuickTime from the 7.1 drive, though the CD ROM control panel says it isn't supported on this mac.

- Usually I use TransMac or HFS Explorer, but both of those are saying that the drive formatted with the HD SC Tool aren't HFS drives. Mac System 7 within Qemu-m68k is saying that it is a HFS drive. Normally HFS Explorer etc. work with Basilisk II etc..

Here's an example of my .bat, though I can only ever get it to read the 7.1 disk in hard drive mode as pointed to in the guide and the link in it:
----------
"qemu-system-m68k.exe" ^
-L "pc-bios" ^
-M q800 ^
-m 128 ^
-bios quadra800.ROM ^
-display sdl ^
-----------
Nothing with scsi-cd/cd0 seems to work, and neither scsi-hd/cd works with iso/toast files. It starts ok with them, just nothing happens.
The only issue I see there is "-L "pc-bios" ^" which I don't think should be included for this architecture. Perhaps that's causing issues?

You may also want to start off with System 7.5.3 or higher to get things working, and then use a runnable OS to install 7.1 to a different virtual disk. 7.1 doesn't come with a number of extensions by default, although adding Quicktime adds some of them (like the sound manager). File System Manager is also useful.

The problem with the disk images is that BII mounts partition images, whereas QEMU mounts full drive images (it'll have the HFS partition but also the driver partition and a few others). The partition is presented to the SCSI manager which then operates like a real SCSI controller, where BII just reads the HFS data directly from the partition image and bypasses the drivers, SCSI controller, etc. Also, if you're not using raw mode (eg, you use qcow2 images), they'll be in a format most tools don't recognize. That said, HFV Explorer *should* be able to read a full disk image and just pull out the HFS partition.
MetalPlateMage
Space Cadet

Post by MetalPlateMage »

adespoton wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:55 pm
MetalPlateMage wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:40 am Hi. I've been trying to get a setup going with Mac OS 7, but have been encountering some issues.

----------
"qemu-system-m68k.exe" ^
-L "pc-bios" ^
-M q800 ^
-m 128 ^
-bios quadra800.ROM ^
-display sdl ^
-----------
The only issue I see there is "-L "pc-bios" ^" which I don't think should be included for this architecture. Perhaps that's causing issues?

You may also want to start off with System 7.5.3 or higher to get things working, and then use a runnable OS to install 7.1 to a different virtual disk. 7.1 doesn't come with a number of extensions by default, although adding Quicktime adds some of them (like the sound manager). File System Manager is also useful.

The problem with the disk images is that BII mounts partition images, whereas QEMU mounts full drive images (it'll have the HFS partition but also the driver partition and a few others). The partition is presented to the SCSI manager which then operates like a real SCSI controller, where BII just reads the HFS data directly from the partition image and bypasses the drivers, SCSI controller, etc. Also, if you're not using raw mode (eg, you use qcow2 images), they'll be in a format most tools don't recognize. That said, HFV Explorer *should* be able to read a full disk image and just pull out the HFS partition.
Right the problem is I haven’t been able to get m68k to recognize any disk or cd images , and the only reason i got 7.1 working was that he guide provided an old school hfs hard drive image instead. All my other drives are in the newer format that can only be read by powerpcs.

And actually moreso like you mentioned i couldn’t get m68k to recognize the b2 hard drive images i have.

Ill look into the pc bios thing though i think thats just the directory for the quadra rom?

Worst case i could send someone mu qemu folder or vice versa heh.

Back in the day i hacked B2 so it would play the shadowwraith soundtrack but i remember the source being a bit wild and nowadays qemu seems to be better in general.

Im trying to get kq6 and dungeon master ii disks i have running and B2 doesn’t emulate the hardware layer enough and those don’t work on system 8 or powerpcs.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

This seems strange. Qemu cannot read any iso?
I can add cd images and read them when I set the Mac OS 7.1 drive as startup disk (I have system 7.1.1 installed). See batch file:

qemu-system-m68k.exe ^
-M q800 ^
-drive file=pram-macos.img,format=raw,if=mtd ^
-m 128 ^
-rtc base=localtime ^
-bios Quadra800.rom ^
-display sdl ^
-nic tap,model=dp83932,mac=08:00:07:12:34:56,ifname=TapQemu1 ^
-drive file=c:\mac-hd\system753ppc.img,format=raw,media=disk,if=none,id=hd0 ^
-drive file=c:\mac-hd\system8.0.img,format=raw,media=disk,if=none,id=hd1 ^
-device scsi-hd,scsi-id=2,drive=hd2 ^
-drive file=c:\mac-hd\system7.6.img,format=raw,media=disk,if=none,id=hd2 ^
-device scsi-hd,scsi-id=3,drive=hd3 ^
-drive file=c:\mac-hd\system7.1.img,format=raw,media=disk,if=none,id=hd3 ^
-device scsi-cd,scsi-id=4,drive=cd0 ^
-drive file=c:\Mac-iso\8.1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom,if=none,id=cd0 ^
-device scsi-cd,scsi-id=5,drive=cd1 ^
-drive file=c:\Mac-iso\AppleLegacyRecovery.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom,if=none,id=cd1

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build for windows has been posted.
The code to support MacOS, A/UX 3.x and NetBSD in Qemu has just been posted to the development mailing list.

Have fun,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build is provided in the first post.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:09 am A new build is provided in the first post.

Best,
Cat_7
Does this mean that as of QEMU-M68k 8.2, MacOS, A/UX and NetBSD support is baked into the official codebase and releases?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Correct,

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build to allow multi-monitor, arbitrary resolutions and gamma correction on Mac OS and A/UX is available in the second post in this thread.

Best,
Cat_7