Mini vMac commande line for fullscreen ?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Mini vMac commande line for fullscreen ?

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello !

I use Mini vMac in command line but I did not find the one for launching the emulator in fullscreen ? I have to do it manually with the CTRL + F command it's not practical...

For example to start a game with System 6.0.8 I use this command:

Code: Select all

mini vmac.exe hdd.dsk arkanoid.dsk
I just miss the fullscreen command that can help me ?

Greetings !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mini vMac commande line for fullscreen ?

Post by adespoton »

With Mini vMac the default settings are set at compile-time. You'll need to compile a custom variation of Mini vMac to have it default to full screen.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

OK thank you for your answer unfortunately I don't know how to compile could you explain to me how to proceed ?

Greetings !
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Go to this page and follow the instructions there:

https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/vara_srv.html
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Thanks for the link but it asks for a "subscriber code" ??? You have to pay ???
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

Yes you have to pay, it's 12 British pounds for unlimited versions for a year. I use it, it.s wonderful value.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

I'm sorry but I don't find it normal the world of emulation must remain free & free !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It's the compile service you pay for -- you can compile it yourself for free, and he provides a selection of default compile targets for free as well.

Of course, complaining about it is moot, as Paul's been missing for two years now. Eventually the entire site will likely go offline.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Sebiohazard wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:08 pm I'm sorry but I don't find it normal the world of emulation must remain free & free !
Someone put hundreds, maybe thousands, of hours of work into this project. They may have a different view of these things.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

But many devs have also dedicated thousands of hours for many other emulators !

Take WinUAE (Amiga emulator) it's a little programming gem he's been working on it for years he doesn't ask for anything ?!

That's why I asked what is the procedure to compile but no one answered me ? I had also asked the question for Basilisk but the same I never had an answer ?!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Sebiohazard wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:02 pm
That's why I asked what is the procedure to compile but no one answered me ? I had also asked the question for Basilisk but the same I never had an answer ?!
Perhaps no one answered because the procedure is easy for you to find by yourself. All you need to do is follow the link on the main page that says "Build." Everything is explained there. You don't need any other information. You simply follow the instructions exactly, and it builds.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

No you need Linux & I'm on Windows... compiling on Windows is always very complicated !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It compiles on everything from System 7.1 using MPW on a 68k Mac through to Windows 11 on ARM... the instructions assume you have a development environment set up already. If you've never set up a development environment... you can learn how to set one up, use the automated demo build system, or pay some money to get the automated build system to generate a non-watermarked version.

It's possible though that you really want to use a different emulator (Basilisk II, PCE/Macplus, etc.) that doesn't have these requirements.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've been compiling on a Mac, but I got curious about building under Windows. I couldn't build under my various MinGW setups, but a quick search for "build minivmac under Windows" led to an excellent set of instructions by "spyffe" who may be the same expert who posts here under another name. By following the instructions exactly, I built a working Windows executable the first time.

The instructions call for editing a few files created during setup; it should be easy to create shell scripts that would do the job. If no one more expert than I am takes on the job, I'll see what I can do, probably next week.

The one thing that no one ever mentions in build instructions is that you may need to run "chmod +x setup.sh" after creating that file. Anyone with experience with the Linux or macOS command line knows this already, but Windows users may not.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:27 pm I've been compiling on a Mac, but I got curious about building under Windows. I couldn't build under my various MinGW setups, but a quick search for "build minivmac under Windows" led to an excellent set of instructions by "spyffe" who may be the same expert who posts here under another name. By following the instructions exactly, I built a working Windows executable the first time.

The instructions call for editing a few files created during setup; it should be easy to create shell scripts that would do the job. If no one more expert than I am takes on the job, I'll see what I can do, probably next week.

The one thing that no one ever mentions in build instructions is that you may need to run "chmod +x setup.sh" after creating that file. Anyone with experience with the Linux or macOS command line knows this already, but Windows users may not.
The alternative is to use the older version, which uses Mini vMac itself as the build system, outputting all the code you need to just compile the executable in the compiler of your choice. I do admit to scratching my head the first time I encountered Paul's new system. But again, I also compile on a Mac, and beyond that, have my own framework that I created years ago that automatically takes Paul's scripts and source output and compiles the target binaries I'm interested in, so I've likely forgotten some of the tricky bits.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

In case anyone is interesting in building Mini vMac for Windows, there are many steps to follow, but the procedure is very simple, as long as you follow the instructions exactly - the instructions that I mentioned in an earlier post.

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to repeat all the "hacking" steps in those instructions for every new variation that you build, which is one reason why it would be good to have an automated script that would get the job done. I don't know enough about scripting to do a good job of this, but if no one else does it, I may get around to writing a not-very-good script for it.
Last edited by emendelson on Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Once gryphel.com finally shuts down, I'll have a go at standing up a build automation system.

Of course, it'd be really great if someone else would carry on the torch on GitHub. Might even be worth doing a FrankenMinivMac (AKA vMac 2) where all the options are compiled back into the emulator and are selectable from config file/command line. But that's a ton of work, and it'll need someone with a large chunk of spare time to donate to get it functional.

If someone DOES decide to do such a thing, I'd love to see a few BII features incorporated into vMac (after all, we already stole some vMac features and implemented them in BII, such as Paul's awesome display handler).