Has anyone built the beta Mini vMac on a Mac?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Has anyone built the beta Mini vMac on a Mac?

Post by emendelson »

Has anyone succeeded in building the beta version of Mini vMac on MacOS? I'm using an M2 Mac running Ventura. I can build the 36.x version easily, following the instructions on the build page, but when I run these commands in the 37.x beta code, I end up with an error message:

Code: Select all

gcc setup/tool.c -o setup_t
./setup_t -t mcar > setup.sh
chmod +x ./setup.sh
./setup.sh
make
And here is the error message:

Code: Select all

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
I get the same error if I use the -t mc64 target option that works perfectly in the 36.x version.
mihaiparparita
Space Cadet

Re: Has anyone built the beta Mini vMac on a Mac?

Post by mihaiparparita »

I've built the Mac version in Xcode, here's the build script that I use to generate the Xcode project: https://github.com/mihaip/minivmac/blob ... c_setup.sh
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Has anyone built the beta Mini vMac on a Mac?

Post by emendelson »

Interesting! Yes, that method works - and if you specify mcar as the machine type, it builds an Apple Silicon executable. It should be possible to build for Intel and Apple Silicon and use lipo to combine the executables - that's my next project...

Thank you!

EDIT 2: There seems to be a bug in the Apple Silicon version: it can't find the Mac II ROM, only the vMac.ROM, so it has problems running System 7. Probably no one will ever fix this, unfortunately.