Close BasiliskII when an application closes?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Close BasiliskII when an application closes?

Post by emendelson »

I know this has been discussed before, without any resolution, but I thought it might be worth asking again.

Has anyone found a way to make a BasiliskII setup (or SheepShaver) shut down when you close an application that you run at startup? I've been looking into Mini vMac's autoquit functions, but there's clearly no may to make them work in BII or SS. If anyone has come up with a method, since the last time this question came up, many of us would be grateful to know about it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Close BasiliskII when an application closes?

Post by adespoton »

For BII, set up the application as the finder, with T&C FNDR/MACS, stuck in the System folder.

For SheepShaver, run an AppleScript in the background that monitors the frontmost application, and when it's the Finder, launch the Shutdown app (or call the Shutdown applescript action).
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:22 pm For BII, set up the application as the finder, with T&C FNDR/MACS, stuck in the System folder.
Fascinating! By T&C, do you mean File Type and Creator Code? So: the procedure would be this: use ResEdit to change the Type and Code of the app to FNDR and MACS; boot to a different startup disk; in the non-booting disk that I want to modify, move the app into the System Folder and delete the Finder from that folder; finally, boot from the modified disk?

If there's a more efficient way to do it, I'll be glad to hear about it. Thank you.

About SheepShaver, I'll start a separate thread after some more research.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:53 am
adespoton wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:22 pm For BII, set up the application as the finder, with T&C FNDR/MACS, stuck in the System folder.
Fascinating! By T&C, do you mean File Type and Creator Code? So: the procedure would be this: use ResEdit to change the Type and Code of the app to FNDR and MACS; boot to a different startup disk; in the non-booting disk that I want to modify, move the app into the System Folder and delete the Finder from that folder; finally, boot from the modified disk?
That's the way. There's also an OSAX someone wrote way back (part of Jon's Commands maybe?) that might work, but AppleScript in the background in older OSes is a bit sketchy.

The other solution is to swap out the Finder for something that just shuts down when activated for the second time.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:31 am That's the way. There's also an OSAX someone wrote way back (part of Jon's Commands maybe?) that might work, but AppleScript in the background in older OSes is a bit sketchy.
This isn't in Jon's Commands. If you have any idea of where it might be, I would be glad to try it. Thank you again!

EDIT: You mentioned earlier the "Shutdown app." What is that? I can't find such an app on my MacOS 9 setup.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

emendelson wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:39 pmEDIT: You mentioned earlier the "Shutdown app." What is that? I can't find such an app on my MacOS 9 setup.
It is an Apple menu item. It is available in some (earlier) MacOS installations, will also work in MacOS 9.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:41 am
emendelson wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:39 pmEDIT: You mentioned earlier the "Shutdown app." What is that? I can't find such an app on my MacOS 9 setup.
It is an Apple menu item. It is available in some (earlier) MacOS installations, will also work in MacOS 9.
Ah! The one that's been staring me in the face all the time. I didn't realize that it was an Apple-made app. Thank you.