Mini vMac build script for Windows

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Mini vMac build script for Windows

Post by emendelson »

In a desperate attempt to waste time, I created a script that automates the process of building Mini vMac under Windows, using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). It may be useful when gryphel.com no longer exists (probably later this year). What the script does is automate the procedure described here:

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/art ... -for-linux

You can download the script here:

https://www.mendelson.org/MiniVMacEnvironmentSetup.sh

Read the script in a text editor and follow the instructions. The script downloads a second script that actually builds the executable. You may, if you want, edit that second script to change the build options from the built-in defaults; details of the possible options are here:

https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/options.html

The target -t wx64 is the only essential one (and is already in the build script). Add others as needed. Of course you can make multiple copies of the build script, each with a different set of optons.

This comes with absolutely no support of any kind. If you follow the instructions, it will work.
macplus
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Mini vMac build script for Windows

Post by macplus »

emendelson wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:55 pm The script downloads a second script that actually builds the executable.
Except it does not? I don't see any other scripts present after running it. Maybe you forgot to include that?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

macplus wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:38 pm
emendelson wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:55 pm The script downloads a second script that actually builds the executable.
Except it does not? I don't see any other scripts present after running it. Maybe you forgot to include that?
Have you looked in the minivmac folder in your home folder? The instructions say to cd to that folder and then run the second script.

EDIT: The first script can't cd to the minivmac directory because a shell script (apparently) always exits to the same folder where it was run. You have to cd to minivmac manually. The prompt and instructions say to do that.
macplus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by macplus »

You bet I did, no script was there.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This is what happens on my machine, starting with no minivmac folder and no copy of any of the downloaded software except the build script. The file MiniVMacBuildExecutable.sh is the build script.

If the environment-setup script doesn't do the same thing for you, then I have no idea of what might be wrong, and so it's probably best if you don't waste any more time on it. You can use the instructions on the MacintoshGarden page to get the same results.

macplus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by macplus »

Looks like I had an older version of the script somehow, now it's different. Sorry for the trouble.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

macplus wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:38 am Looks like I had an older version of the script somehow, now it's different. Sorry for the trouble.
Originally, the first script didn't download the second, so you somehow had an older version. I can't imagine how it happened: I didn't post a link to the script until after I had updated it, so something may have gone wrong with my service provider sending an old version. Anyway, I'm glad to know it's sorted out.
macplus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by macplus »

Oh well, at least I have the rare V1 now :smile:
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

macplus wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:57 am Oh well, at least I have the rare V1 now :smile:
Probably worth a small fortune on the NFT market... :cool: