Interest in an iOS build?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

tjpadula
Space Cadet

Interest in an iOS build?

Post by tjpadula »

Hello, all. I'm a longtime Mac/iOS developer and I still use SheepShaver for some old-school Mac games. A while back I got a bee in my bonnet to run them on iOS, so I started monkeying with it. I now have a 64-bit build that runs on iOS 13.6 and later, for both iPhone and iPad (though mouse integration only works on iPad - that's an Apple thing). No, it's not ready for prime time, but at least I can run a few games on it.

If you'd like to play with it, and you are fluent in using Xcode to build for an iOS device, you can see my public repository at https://github.com/tjpadula/macemu under the sheepshaver_ios branch. You will need a Mac running at least Catalina, with Xcode 11 or later.

Enjoy.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Interest in an iOS build?

Post by emendelson »

Very impressive - especially with networking working now. Well done!
copland_kid
Space Cadet

Post by copland_kid »

Thank you for putting this fork together! I finally had time today to grab the git project, build, deploy, and start using it. Any particular areas you'd like help with or are you open to PRs?
Halcyon
Student Driver

Post by Halcyon »

Thanks for this! I was able to get this up and running on my iPad without much hassle.

I was hopeful that Sheepshaver would not have the same "crash on command+w" behavior as Basilisk II, but sadly I see the same issue.

viewtopic.php?p=75181#p75181

I'm curious if you have any insight into how to work around this annoying behavior that was introduced in iPadOS 16+. Seems like it has something to do with suspending the app, but I'm not very savvy on iOS dev.
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

Will try this when i can!
• BasiliskII on iPad Pro 12.9": Macintosh IIci 32MB + System 7.5.5 + Deneba artWORKS & UltraPaint
jamesyoung
Space Cadet

Post by jamesyoung »

Got it built and running on my iPad Pro 12.9 M2 with 16.3.1

I'll share my build if anyone wants to test it out (compiled for 16.3 target)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/sanklb96 ... r.ipa/file
Bonzey2416
Space Cadet

Post by Bonzey2416 »

Wow! I hope that sideloading will come on iPhones and iPads in Europe so they can run SheepShaver.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Bonzey2416 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:42 am Wow! I hope that sideloading will come on iPhones and iPads in Europe so they can run SheepShaver.
You can sideload right now; since the project is open source, you can use XCode to deploy from a Mac. If you don't have a Mac, AltStore/AltServer lets you do much the same thing from Windows (and also works from macOS).

It'd be nice not to have weekly expiry though.