Installing Mac OS 10.0 - requires Mac OS 9.1 in qemu environment?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

archivistofyourblog
Space Cadet

Installing Mac OS 10.0 - requires Mac OS 9.1 in qemu environment?

Post by archivistofyourblog »

Hi all - I had attempted to install Mac OS 10.0 but when my emulator loaded, the installer prompted me with the following message: "To use your Classic Mac OS 9 applications, you must have Mac OS 9.1 installed on your computer. The Installer could not find any Mac OS 9.1 installed on any of your volumes. You will need to upgrade to Mac OS 9.1 to use your Classic applications. You can do this after you install Mac OS X."

How do I best proceed? I was wondering if this would require me to install the build for Mac OS 9.1 to then upgrade it to Mac OS 10 through installing the discs within the 9.1 build? Or is through a way to bypass this through changing my command?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Installing Mac OS 10.0 - requires Mac OS 9.1 in qemu environment?

Post by adespoton »

archivistofyourblog wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:18 am Hi all - I had attempted to install Mac OS 10.0 but when my emulator loaded, the installer prompted me with the following message: "To use your Classic Mac OS 9 applications, you must have Mac OS 9.1 installed on your computer. The Installer could not find any Mac OS 9.1 installed on any of your volumes. You will need to upgrade to Mac OS 9.1 to use your Classic applications. You can do this after you install Mac OS X."

How do I best proceed? I was wondering if this would require me to install the build for Mac OS 9.1 to then upgrade it to Mac OS 10 through installing the discs within the 9.1 build? Or is through a way to bypass this through changing my command?
This is the same message you got with a regular 10.0 install on a real Mac. It's just saying that if you want to run older software, you need the Classic environment set up, and to do that, you need Mac OS 9.1.

Since you don't have 9.1 installed on your emulator, you can only run Carbon or Cocoa software, not Classic.
archivistofyourblog
Space Cadet

Post by archivistofyourblog »

adespoton wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:58 pm
archivistofyourblog wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:18 am Hi all - I had attempted to install Mac OS 10.0 but when my emulator loaded, the installer prompted me with the following message: "To use your Classic Mac OS 9 applications, you must have Mac OS 9.1 installed on your computer. The Installer could not find any Mac OS 9.1 installed on any of your volumes. You will need to upgrade to Mac OS 9.1 to use your Classic applications. You can do this after you install Mac OS X."

This is the same message you got with a regular 10.0 install on a real Mac. It's just saying that if you want to run older software, you need the Classic environment set up, and to do that, you need Mac OS 9.1.

Since you don't have 9.1 installed on your emulator, you can only run Carbon or Cocoa software, not Classic.
Ah! I see, I see. I recently completed a 9.2 build... would it be possible to run the 10.0 in that environment then? Or would you suggest first installing the 9.1 and upgrading from there?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

archivistofyourblog wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:36 pm
adespoton wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:58 pm

Ah! I see, I see. I recently completed a 9.2 build... would it be possible to run the 10.0 in that environment then? Or would you suggest first installing the 9.1 and upgrading from there?
Once you've got 10.0 set up, you just need to add an OS 9.1-9.2.2 System Folder somewhere to enable Classic. I usually toss it on its own disk image and just mount the extra image in the 10.0 QEMU emulation config.

[edit] That said, I rarely run Classic on anything other than 10.2 and 10.4 -- there's really no reason to do so elsewhere, and 10.0 is slow and buggy even before tossing a secondary virtualization layer on it.