Sound for games in Basilisk II? - Namely Tetris

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

smurfetteaussie
Space Cadet

Sound for games in Basilisk II? - Namely Tetris

Post by smurfetteaussie »

Hi all,

Is there anyone who can tell me how to get sounds to work in these old Mac games? I loved the old Tetris game (I believe it came out in '88). I have the game running fine on Basilisk II, but alas, no sound.

The music and sound effects make the game for me, and I miss them so...

The game disk opens a folder with the Tetris app, something called "Tetris da" a Tetris Sounds file (which looks like a blank doc) and a couple of other things. Do I have to drag these somewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Jessica
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Sound for games in Basilisk II? - Namely Tetris

Post by 24bit »

Same here, smurfetteaussie. On a Sierra host, no sound in Basilisk II or MiniVMac II.
Sound is working in MiniVMac (Mac Plus emulation) MacOS 7.5.3 so it seems.
My best bet would be MiniVMac and a System 6 version of your choice.
No idea how to control the bricks, the 4-5-6 keys do nothing on my laptop.

IIRC Apple did big changes to the Sound Manager over time. The fact that the game comes with a DA suitcase points to System 6 being used in the late 1980s. That age makes it less likely for working sound with later MacOS flavours used by Basilisk II or SheepShaver.
Last edited by 24bit on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smurfetteaussie
Space Cadet

Hmm... Maybe will need to try MiniVMac?

I would love to get it working in Basilisk II because I read somewhere that someone figured out a patch that worked in BII 7.5.3.... Sigh. :(

Controls should be j k l (left flip right) n (next) and spacebar to drop the piece.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Ah, thanks for telling the keys.
MiniVMac is the easiest Mac emulator to set up in my opinion. If you need any files, let me know.
From the rare cases of playing a Tetris clone I recall sounds from bricks dropping/turning or from parts of the wall vanishing at the bottom.
I can´t hear anything like that in MiniVMac only the Russian music playing. :(

Seems I overlooked mcp´s post about Tetris Gold on the Tetris page.
Did you try the games from CD? Maybe those have been patched already.
smurfetteaussie
Space Cadet

No luck with the Tetris Gold ones - already tried and same issue.

THANK YOU for telling me about Mini vMac! Just played it with sound for the first time in decades!! :D (And my sound worked for the brick lines disappearing too).

I did have to force the emulator to open up by holding shift to turn off extensions as I couldn't figure out a way to load the 6.0.8 files (from stuffit) into a disk image. Do you have an .dsk file you could send me? smurfette_aussie (at) hotmail.com

I ended up dragging the 7.5.3 file from the Basilisk II contents over to the Mini vMac emulator which first caused an error message, but was able to boot up by holding shift after the fact.

My question remains the same for any lurkers on here - how to get the sounds that work in Mini vMac to work on Basilisk II for this game!!
rickyzhang
Apple Corer

Post by rickyzhang »

I have decent sound in Lemmings with SDL library in BII under Linux host OS.

But I'm not sure what format of original sound in that game. Try to compile it with SDL library.
There is an App for that!
https://github.com/rickyzhang82
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

No dice here with other BasiliskII flavours either on my side.
Seems MiniVMac will be the one, unless a game patch shows up.
The Basilisk II Android build relies on SDL, can´t harm to try Tetris there.

I upped 7.5.3 for MiniVMac some time ago, but you got things rollin so far.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators (fifth file)
SIT files are best expanded in Basilisk II with Stuffit or with The Unarchiver, if you happen to use a Mac host.
Expanded disk images may be dropped onto the MiniVMac screen the usual way.

6.0.8 is here already, if ou don´t want to install from scratch: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-sys ... c-mac-plus

Edit: As for a SDL build, the Android BII does not play sound either.
ckweb
Student Driver

Post by ckweb »

Here's a quick sound tip I was helped with on the Android version of Basilisk II, but may also help out elsewhere:

For System 7.0-7.1 (at least) the trick to getting the audio to work was installing the Sound Manager, which is automatically installed with QuickTime, I installed QT 2.5 and the audio worked perfectly (I'm hoping it's that easy for fellow Android BII users) :wink:

I came looking how to fix a crackling that happens when I switch to 8-bit audio (I'm using that setting to play MP3 files audibly; the 16-bit audio works perfectly for games, but completely trashes my MP3 player's audio playback in Basilisk II) :sad: