Sheepshaver on Orange Pi 5

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jayrume
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver on Orange Pi 5

Post by jayrume »

Hello all. Not sure if this is a lost cause or not but I am attempting to build SheepShaver from source on Armbian / Orange Pi 5
Steps I have taken:
git clone https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu.git
cd macemu/SheepShaver/src/Unix
./autogen.sh
make

running SheepShaver results in the following error:
SheepShaver V2.5 by Christian Bauer and Mar"c" Hellwig
ERROR: Could not initialize SDL: Failed loading udev_device_get_action: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: _udev_device_get_action.

SheepShaver: xpram_unix.cpp:52: void SaveXPRAM(): Assertion `!xpram_name.empty()' failed.
Aborted

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver on Orange Pi 5

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you install SDL2 version 2.0.14 or newer as instructed on kanjitalk755/macemu ?
How To Build

These builds need to be installed SDL2.0.14+ framework/library.

https://www.libsdl.org
jayrume
Space Cadet

Post by jayrume »

My apologies, Im a bonehead. I was attempting to run SheepShaver from an SSH session. The error I am running into is:
ERROR: Cannot map first Kernel Data area: Cannot allocate memory.

Running sudo ./SheepShaver gives the same error, btw.
Last edited by jayrume on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

jayrume wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:43 am My apologies, Im a bonehead. I was attempting to run SheepShaver from an SSH session. The error I am running into is:

What happens if you run your SSH session with -X (X forwarding)? It should be possible to run SS in a local X server.
jayrume
Space Cadet

Post by jayrume »

adespoton wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:33 pm
jayrume wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:43 am My apologies, Im a bonehead. I was attempting to run SheepShaver from an SSH session. The error I am running into is:

What happens if you run your SSH session with -X (X forwarding)? It should be possible to run SS in a local X server.
Yes, I can forward the x session to my MBP using XQuartz, which works for my QEMU (Screamer fork) setup on the Orange Pi quite nicely, thanks for the tip! Same error on SheepShaver though. Ideally I would like to get SheepShaver running as I think its probably more performant and easier to work with than QEMU. SheepShaver is blazing fast on my Asus Zephyrus G15. I do also have SheepShaver running (slowly) on my Raspberry Pi 4B in Ubuntu... problems with Raspbian, but that will be another post. I am working on getting step by step instructions published online for a few SBCs for Qemu and SheepShaver. Just hitting a few snags. The help is much appreciated!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

jayrume wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:36 pm
adespoton wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:33 pm

Yes, I can forward the x session to my MBP using XQuartz, which works for my QEMU (Screamer fork) setup on the Orange Pi quite nicely, thanks for the tip! Same error on SheepShaver though. Ideally I would like to get SheepShaver running as I think its probably more performant and easier to work with than QEMU. SheepShaver is blazing fast on my Asus Zephyrus G15. I do also have SheepShaver running (slowly) on my Raspberry Pi 4B in Ubuntu... problems with Raspbian, but that will be another post. I am working on getting step by step instructions published online for a few SBCs for Qemu and SheepShaver. Just hitting a few snags. The help is much appreciated!
OK; my question was to see whether this was an X issue, or a real memory allocation issue. It appears to be the latter. SheepShaver is finicky about where its memory is allocated, and your OSes likely aren't letting it allocate memory from (real or virtual) address 0. Sometimes this can be fixed by immediately running Sheepshaver after boot, but I suspect some Linux configurations have already claimed that address space for other purposes by the time ss would execute.
jayrume
Space Cadet

Post by jayrume »

Yes, I have seen a few posts mentioning this possibility. I had no luck attempting to run SS soon after reboot. I also found some other posts regarding vm.mmap_min_addr = 0 setting in sysctl.conf but that doesn't appear to fix the issue. Is there perhaps a configure flag that can alter this behavior?