running Sheepshaver from an external HD

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

beagley
Space Cadet

running Sheepshaver from an external HD

Post by beagley »

Is there a way to run Sheepshaver from an external hard drive so that I could use it as a guest on a Mac that doesn't have it permanently installed?
I tried copying it to an external drive, but it wouldn't open.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: running Sheepshaver from an external HD

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

See our SheepShaver setup manual for self-contained virtual machines:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... l_machines
beagley
Space Cadet

Post by beagley »

Thanks once again for your help.

This has helped me keep using software that would take years to rewrite and would probably be made obsolete soon after it was debugged. Now all I need is a way to run Mac OSX software on new machines :-)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

QEMU runs Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5. See our QEMU PPC emulator forum.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:08 pm QEMU runs Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5. See our QEMU PPC emulator forum.
And technically, QEMU runs Mac OS 9.0 up to macOS 13; you need the x86_64 emulator for anything past 10.5 though, and the x86_64 TCG emulation seems to have issues with 10.6.

And of course, the experimental fork of the QEMU m68k emulator will run System 7.1 through Mac OS 8.1. So the only Mac OSes QEMU is currently missing are System 0.86 - System 7.0, Mac OS 8.5-8.6 and OS X 10.6.x.
whoare365q
Space Cadet

Post by whoare365q »

So, I need a The right Mac, I have the floppies and the SCSI CD Drive so need to use disk copy I assume to create image files, sheeepshaver will load an iso too. Kind of messy. Seems like I need to get my se/30 working, which it’s not at the moment.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

cross-posting from the QEMU-M68k thread: viewtopic.php?p=76131#p76131 - there's now a Windows build of QEMU-M68k that can boot off an external SCSI drive. QEMU-M68k has one hardware profile: the Quadra 800. So it's not going to be a simple swap from QEMU-M68k to a real SE/30, but if you've got 7.5.5 on it with a universal install, it should work similarly on both, especially if you set your other hardware settings on QEMU to be similar to the real SE/30.