Mouse cursor unusually snappy/stuttery (win 10)

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Xii-Nyth
Space Cadet

Mouse cursor unusually snappy/stuttery (win 10)

Post by Xii-Nyth »

Fired up qemu ppc screamer 60fps out of the blue today and it just didn't want to work right

The mouse cursor has always felt like its at half the fps, with it feeling like 15 before, and 30 with this 60 fps version, but today it was like 4.
Notably the position was accurate, you would just see it appear even distances apart.

I tried turning off scaling, using windowed/fullscreen, and putting it on a drive with a large pagefile (don't think that was necessary since its software rendered and also rebar is a thing now...).

I'm a little stumped since all that has changed from before besides various windows and driver updates, all that has changed is my graphics card.
Unfortunately no other systems to test on atm

Last edited by Xii-Nyth on Sun May 28, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xii-Nyth
Space Cadet

Re: Mouse cursor unusually snappy/stuttery (win 10)

Post by Xii-Nyth »

Oh right also tried differing polling rates on my mouse of 125, 1000, and 8000.

And here is a video:
https://youtu.be/FWFcit8s7aQ

If you slow down to one quarter and go to where I dropped the resolution, you can see pretty easily that it has all the frames but the timing is long-short-short… with the pacing where most movements are granular but then some jump. At 24 seconds ish you can see it flicker and then disappear and seem to teleport, like goku using instant transmission.
Last edited by Xii-Nyth on Sun May 28, 2023 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xii-Nyth
Space Cadet

Post by Xii-Nyth »

Looking back on my old posts I previously had a problem with the window now scaling into my resolution. That seems to have fixed itself now that I have a card that supports integer scaling, but perhaps that is what is causing this problem. I did try dropping down my resolution to 1080p which would disable the that from it not being necessary, but I did so from the windows settings which probably left the hdmi signal resolution as is.

Will go test that now.
Last edited by Xii-Nyth on Sun May 28, 2023 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xii-Nyth
Space Cadet

Post by Xii-Nyth »

I found the issue.

Using a framerate limit (rivatuner) didn't mix well with the unstable frametimes.
Will have to test if a driver framerate limit or vsync also can effect this.
Edit: Those are OK. Seems only software limiters cause the issue and not hardware limiters.
Slight input delay felt with those on however, which is to be expected without rivatuner doing its thing.

Conclusion:
Run your display at the max refresh rate. reduce queued frames in your video driver to 0. Don't limit framerate.

https://youtu.be/ySgaaf5xtNA