getting sound to work in Mac OS X 10.3

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

GMP79
Space Cadet

getting sound to work in Mac OS X 10.3

Post by GMP79 »

I just compiled QEMU 8.0.2 on Ubuntu and installed OS X 10.3 as my guest OS, and I am having trouble getting any sound to work. When I start up the guest with the 'audio pa,model=ac97', I always get "qemu-system-ppc: PCI bus not available for ac97". I had better luck with the '-audiodev alsa,id=snd0,out.dev=default' parameter, but Mac OS X starts up with no sound, even though there is a speaker icon on the tray.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: getting sound to work in Mac OS X 10.3

Post by adespoton »

GMP79 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:23 am I just compiled QEMU 8.0.2 on Ubuntu and installed OS X 10.3 as my guest OS, and I am having trouble getting any sound to work. When I start up the guest with the 'audio pa,model=ac97', I always get "qemu-system-ppc: PCI bus not available for ac97". I had better luck with the '-audiodev alsa,id=snd0,out.dev=default' parameter, but Mac OS X starts up with no sound, even though there is a speaker icon on the tray.
Even if you get sound to work from the host side, the only sound driver available for QEMU-PPC is the USB passthrough one, unless you run the Screamer fork. So you're not missing anything.
GMP79
Space Cadet

Post by GMP79 »

That is a shame. That means I have to compile 2 different QEMU builds on my system, then. I hope that sound is introduced in the mainline build sometime in the future.

Thank-you for the answer.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

GMP79 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:24 pm That is a shame. That means I have to compile 2 different QEMU builds on my system, then. I hope that sound is introduced in the mainline build sometime in the future.

Thank-you for the answer.
Currently the Screamer code conflicts with the snapshot code IIRC, so that will need to be sorted out somehow before they can be merged. Mainline QEMU also uses an accurate FPU emulation, and there's an alternate performance-based FPU emulation fork that speeds things up a bit, including for audio.

Personally, I have around 4 different builds of QEMU on my system, although I don't tend to build the entire QEMU tree, just the cores I want to run.