Windows Networking, It's finally here!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Madest

My config to run the network

Post by Madest »

Hello :)
in case it could be usefull, i write here all the things i did to make pearpc work with internet.

First :
my main computer (windows XP) is connected trough internet by a linux router. My router is 192.168.0.200.

This is what i have done :
- install TAP32 driver.
- update my pearpc with the net patchR2
- Add the net card to the config

I then have gone to my network connection. I selected both the tap32 connection and my connection to the lan. Then right click, create a bridge.

In the bridge properties, i edit the ip config :
Ip adress : 192.168.0.80
IP Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default gateway : 192.168.0.200 (my router)

First DNS : the one given by my internet service provider
Second DNS : the one given by my internet service provider

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After that, i boot pearpc and go to the mac preferences, network :

- Select the pci ethernet slot pci10ec,8139 port 4
- IP adress : 192.168.0.82
- Mask : 255.255.255.0
- router : 192.168.0.200

DNS server : My ISP's
Clic apply now. It should work.

Notice : maybe you'll have to wait a little for the config to be effective.

I hope it will help you ;)
Madest

Post by Guest »

How do I find out what my ISP's IP is. I can ping the name http://www.iprimus.com.au and I've tryed that ip in X but it doesn't seem to work.

thanks
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

Has anyone successfully gotten pearpc to work under

1.) a wireless network
2.) 10.3.4 update?

I have a unique problem...I tried to install 10.3.2 update and it froze on me, so I exited the installation. I ended up getting screwed, so I had to reinstall allllll over again except it saved my old connection information. Anyway, I am back to plain old 10.3 now. I try to start pearpc with the new networking and it just flashes and quits. when I try to start it from the commandline it says [TAP-WIN32] Enumerating TAP devices...main caught exception: Could not locate any installed TAP Win32 Devices

Now originally I thought this was because my 10.3 had frozed when I had odd manual values in for netowkring and it had saved them when I reinstalled 10.3. so I went into 10.3 networking and deleted the "card" that was detected. None exist anymore, but yet it still can't find any TAP 32 devices. I"ve uninstalled and reinstalled OpenVPN again and uninstalled/reinstalled ICS...what could be the problem?
slydecix
Space Cadet

Post by slydecix »

MDZ61384 wrote:Has anyone successfully gotten pearpc to work under

1.) a wireless network
2.) 10.3.4 update?
Yep, I had to manually set the TAP ip/subnet because it was picking up a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. I just installed 10.3.4 update and it's restarting as I type.
ghw9132

Post by ghw9132 »

I am using MacOS 10.1 under Windows XP Pro with ICS enabled

both lines are in the config file:
pci_rtl8139_installed = 1
pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"

In the DOS box:
[TAP-WIN32]: Enumerating TAP devices...
[TAP-WIN32]: Found TAP device named 'Local Area Connection 3'
[TAP-WIN32]: Opening TAP connection
[TAP-WIN32]: TAP-Win32 Driver Version 7.1 Initialised.
[TAP-WIN32]: Setting Media Status to connected.
creating RealTek rtl8139 NIC emulation with eth_addr = de:ad:ca:fe:12:34

In the Network control panel in X, no network adapters are listedj
Any suggestions
Thanks
goranche

cable not connected

Post by goranche »

can't connect after update to 10.3.4
rebooted pearPc/Mac and no network

Goran
slydecix
Space Cadet

Post by slydecix »

slydecix wrote:
MDZ61384 wrote:Has anyone successfully gotten pearpc to work under

1.) a wireless network
2.) 10.3.4 update?
Yep, I had to manually set the TAP ip/subnet because it was picking up a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. I just installed 10.3.4 update and it's restarting as I type.
I spoke too soon... now I have the same problem as goranche
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

sly: did you try the tutorial here: http://dev.realistanew.com/win32net/
Trif
Space Cadet

Post by Trif »

Are those of you using ICS not running into LAN issues caused by two NAT's on the same subnet if you are behind a router?

I followed the instructions at first, though I knew this would be an issue for me. It worked fine as far as Pear PC goes for getting "on the net" However, the rest of my LAN was fubar, as I expected.

If you have a true LAN with a gateway router, you are far better served using XP's built in Bridge function than enabling ICS. It is brain dead simple. First, disable ICS if you enabled it to do this.

Now open Network connections. Hilight both local conncetions, the one for your NIC and the one for the TAP32 NIC. Right clcik on selected items and choose create Network Bridge. Now boot the Pear, go to network properties and change the NIC to DHCP. It should configure everything automatically.

For me it gave me an IP from my routers DHCP server, populate the router(gateway) field with the Routers IP, and populated DNS with the primary DNS server set in the router.

The result is no more network fuziness from two NATs on one subnet (a no no).

YMMV
Cyman
Tinkerer

Post by Cyman »

As I will be off for holidays this weekend, I can't resolve my problem until then, which is that now, where there is network support with the windows versions of PearPC, I can't get it to run, because I have trouble setting up the network correctly. So here is an excerpt of my system's network which will give you all the necessary information to analyze what's wrong and should be changed.
Here's an image I made:

Another thing I should add:
I changed the IP's as shown above (see image), but now, the other PC doesn't have access to ICS anymore.
The problem is that I don't know, on which item I have to enable ICS. Now, I have enabled it on the "LAN Adapter", which is actually the USB DSL modem, you can see that it has another entry as "Arcor" which is the regular way, I connect to the internet.
I hope, someone can help me resolving my problems.
Thanks in advance,

Cyman

PS
I hope the image shows evidently how my network is set up - I tried to make it as clear as possible.

Post by Guest »

Everything is messed up now, I can't get ICS to work and my PC keeps telling me that the TCP/IP address is being rejected (error 735), when trying to connect to the internet.
I just changed the very last digits of the LAN adapters/items/devices in the Control Panel.

So, the IP addresses shown in the picture above have also been changed.

What can I do?

Anyone help me please,

Cyman
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

cyman not sure what to do...haven't gotten it to work myself...but in the meantime, have you tried pearpc irc channel? go to pearpc.net to find out what it is and where to connect to

Post by Guest »

Now, at least I have gotten my own internet connection to work again as it should. But I still can't get the other PC connected, which starts to annoy me seriously!

Cyman

Post by Guest »

One last update: Now everything works fine again - I mean, everything except PearPC networking and the TAP adapter thing. I have to stick with it for now and figure it out next week. By then, we'll have some new PearPC releases, I guess. This whole thing is developping so fast it's hard to follow.
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Anonymous wrote:Now, at least I have gotten my own internet connection to work again as it should. But I still can't get the other PC connected, which starts to annoy me seriously!

Cyman
Hello,

to use ICS from both LAN adapters, you can run the network setup wizard. It will make a bridge over the two NICs...

Concerning your general question about your setup I can't really help you but at least I can tell you that I have a very similar setup than yours and my experience so far is that I have to unplug PC2 from the network to get networking in PearPC working! I literally was NOT able to ping the TAP NIC as long as the second PC was connected :?

Maybe someone can help to clear this up!
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

kybernaut wrote:XP SP2 RC1 Users,

don't wonder too much if you dont get ICS to work on you machine. This appears to be an issue with the RC1 and is discussed in several forums.

In my case, I didn't get ICS to work neither with PearPC nor with any other computers on my local network (which worked fine before SP2).

What I did as a workaround to get Internet access working on PearPC (and others) was installing a proxy server on XP. There are several free ones available. I used AnalogX proxy which is very light weight and easy to configure.

kybernaut
I'm running SP1, not SP2. I think Jaguar is the problem.
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

So is it safe to assume that everyone who got it working is running Panther?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Ph0eniX wrote:So is it safe to assume that everyone who got it working is running Panther?
I wonder if anyone has installed the Realktek drivers available from their site. Theyre for 10.2.x.

kybernaut
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Ph0eniX wrote:I'm running SP1, not SP2. I think Jaguar is the problem.
Uuhmm... there is not only ONE problem here :wink: I was talking about XP SP2's ICS which is erronious (also without PearPC)!!

kybernaut
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

ok now I am stuck

I have vpn icon on the bar with a red X init...this is good, unplugged.
I cannot get ppc to start with the tap32 turned on.
it says it cannot find the tap32 device installed.

I thought/think I have the correct ppc version however I am not sure exactly which version I should have.. I am running amd and I dl the 05/26 jit for amd. should I have dl the generic version?

I am running xp home, and I have updated to all the latest files off microsoft update.

all the versions of ppc have worked fine for me, but I would like the networking so I could share programs on my G5.

not a slow learner, but I do like to overlook the obvious...hahaha

thanks in advance.
jlancaster

re: installing realtek drivers

Post by jlancaster »

I have installed the RealTek driver for 10.2 but no luck as of yet. I am installing the combo patch to 10.2.8 in hopes of luck. I will post my results.
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

kybernaut wrote:
Ph0eniX wrote:So is it safe to assume that everyone who got it working is running Panther?
I wonder if anyone has installed the Realktek drivers available from their site. Theyre for 10.2.x.

kybernaut
Yes, people have tried it (see prev. pages in this thread) - still no success.
bolero

Post by bolero »

I downloadedt hat AnalogX proxy, how do you configure it to work with Pearpc? do you configure your Tap-win32 network connection in windows to work with the proxy?

-bolero

Post by Guest »

bolero wrote:I downloadedt hat AnalogX proxy, how do you configure it to work with Pearpc? do you configure your Tap-win32 network connection in windows to work with the proxy?

-bolero
Hi. Just to avoid any misconceptions: The Proxy is only a workaround for the defunct ICS in XP SP2!! It doesnt solve other problems that you may have with the setup of PPC :wink:

Having that said, configuration is easy: Install and run AnalogX, the rest is done in OSX (nothing more to do under Windows).

Go to system preferences-->network and choose your (hopefully ) installed Ethernet adapter. Then go to "Proxies" and check the Web proxy checkbox. Enter the IP address of your TAP NIC (192.168.0.1 in my case). As Portnumber, enter 6588.

Now Safari should be able to access websites.

kybernaut
Trif
Space Cadet

Post by Trif »

ICS works in 2120. I can't comment on RC1 as I didn't try it then. Hopefully a new build soon. I still maintain however if you are running XP, ICS is not the best way to do this. Using a Network bridge between your actual NIC and the Tap32 one in Windows is the real deal.