10.3.4 update?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kagaku
Space Cadet

10.3.4 update?

Post by kagaku »

Did anyone else have any problems downloading it? I tried using the built-in update program, and had it download the latest updates. When it got to the OSX update, it seemed to freeze. I left it for an hour or so before giving up and rebooting the system. I haven't been able to boot it since. :|

It just sits at the boot screen with the little swirl thing spinning, and doesn't do much else.

I'm currently reinstalling OSX to a different disk image, is there any way to recover the previous one?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

What do you mean by "freeze"?

The bigger updates take really a long time (even on real macs) because the so-called "prebinding" that takes place at the end of installation (when the progress bar is already all the way on the right :wink:
Mardagg
Student Driver

Post by Mardagg »

I got it to install last night, but it took a very long time to update. I think it took longer then the original 10.3.3 combined update.. seems like alot of files where updated.
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

The download and install took about 3 hours... The optimization took a really long time.. maybe 3-4 hours.
kagaku
Space Cadet

Post by kagaku »

The progress bar was stuck ~30%. I wasn't able to cancel it or anything. I guess I'll try it again once I get OSX up and running once again. I plan to make a backup of the disk image this time. 8)
Menge

Post by Menge »

if you cancelled the update and your OS X install isn't booting anymore, you can delete the NVRAM file on the PearPC folder and it will boot again.
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

menge: wish I knew this yesterday. I tried installing the 10.3.2 update and it froze at 5 minutes left...should have just left it but noooooo mr impatient her had to reinstall osx b/c I couldnt' get mine to boot. it would sit with the circle, then just go to a blank blue screen

kagaku: I know just like you to make a backup of mine next time!
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

my 10.3.4 update has been at the installer script part for about an hour now...
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

I have a 2.4ghz P4-M. The script optimization took about 4 hours. Keep waiting. I left mine to run while I went to dinner with my family and it was still running when we got back. Didn't finish until another 2 hours later.
Mardagg
Student Driver

Post by Mardagg »

Ack, upon reboot of my 10.3.4 I've lost my networking.. and it seems to be a problems with alot of folks on neowin. So a word of caution on upgrading to 10.3.4
rant
Inquisitive Elf

Post by rant »

ok I put it on "hold" until more tested it :)
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

I'm curious... I'm running XP SP1 (with update of course) and I'm fine with networking. Is everyone who's having problems running one of the SP2 prereleases?
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

nope, sp1 here
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

MDZ61384 wrote:nope, sp1 here
So what's your problem? (I mean with PearPC, lol, not you personally)
Mardagg
Student Driver

Post by Mardagg »

After uninstalling OpenVN beta 2 and reinstalling, now my networking is active again in OS X. Not sure what the problem was, but seems to be working at the moment.
Skywing

Post by Skywing »

for the people that did the 10.3.3 combined update, how long did it take to install? i have an AXP 3200+, ill probably be giving PearPC either 384 or 512RAM
alx5962
Space Cadet

Post by alx5962 »

it took me almost 5 hours on my Duron 1600 to update using 10.3.4 combined update.
The script part indicated 15mn left but it took more than 1 hour !
I'm using XP without SP1 (sp1 is buggy with my motherboard), and have noticed network problems since this update (i'm not anymore able to use internet).
alx5962
Space Cadet

Post by alx5962 »

ok so I just noticed my network configuration was lost after the update!
I reconfigured it and restarted but a new network adaptator was detected !
So i put the values from the previous adaptator and now internet works fine :D
I'm happy to notice i haven't spend 6 hours on this upgrade for nothing :wink:
ZOleg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by ZOleg »

I have install 10.3.4 update with no problem (one issue - very,very long time for install).
And i no networking problem after update.