Programming my own Mac emulator

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Re: Programming my own Mac emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

So I've been brewing a compatibility sheet. It's not fully ready yet and is partially meant for developers, especially given how early the emulator is.
Here are the programs I can confirm to be (mostly) working within the Power Mac 6100 emulation:

Applications
BBEdit 2.1.3
ClarisWorks
Resorcerer 1.2.5

Games
Spaceway 2000 (demo) - Graphics issues, notably with the font for the titles/high score entries
Glider 4.0.9 - I did notice an occasional crash
Maelstrom
Bolo
NS-Shaft (NS-Tower should also work)
Lemmings (afaik)
Jigsaw Puzzle - Through Infinite Mac, you may have to turn the sound off

Many of the others show severe graphical issues, while others don't boot at all yet.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That's great!

For those wanting to test:

https://infinitemac.org/ (link to emulator found at custom -> run -> Machine -> Experimental)

Oddly, I appear to have 8MB RAM no matter how much I select -- and most of the games on the Infinite Disk require more than 1.8MB (which means running Mac OS 7.6 to increase compatibility creates issues).

Might be worth adding another sheet to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... beZg39Q9A/ -- although the current sheet could also work.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

The reason it only recognizes 8 MB is because that's how much is embedded on the Power Mac 6100 itself.

To get it recognize more, we need to set up the memory regions and also expand the HMC controller to recognize the chosen RAM setup.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

kataetheweirdo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:14 am The reason it only recognizes 8 MB is because that's how much is embedded on the Power Mac 6100 itself.

To get it recognize more, we need to set up the memory regions and also expand the HMC controller to recognize the chosen RAM setup.
Ah; so for now, limiting to System 7.1 as the OS is a good idea, to maximize available RAM. I guess RAM Doubler could also help here. I didn't realize the PM6100 had on-board RAM!
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

We're slowly getting Mac OS X working. You can boot up to the installer window and it seems to display with some issues.