How to burn bootable Mac OS X Jaguard media?

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

tonyrh
Space Cadet

How to burn bootable Mac OS X Jaguard media?

Post by tonyrh »

Hello,
recently I got a Mac Mini G4 and I'd like to install Mac OS X 10.2.8 on it. I think that version has a pretty good Rosetta emulation unlike later Mac OS X versions.
Anyway, I can't seem to burn a bootable media. I tried burning:

- https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/apple- ... al-edition
- https://archive.org/details/mac-os-x-jaguar-install-cd
- https://archive.org/details/mac-os-x-ja ... -cd_202204

but when I boot the Mac with the C key pressed I get a screen with a flashing folder with a question mark.
I'm using my main Linux machine to burn the various iso files, as the Mini comes with an installation of MorphOS (that's prretty neat actually, I plan to setup a dual boot).
Can you point me to a reliable iso file? Do you have tips for the burning settings?
Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How to burn bootable Mac OS X Jaguard media?

Post by adespoton »

Best solution: create an 8GB partition on your Mini's boot media, and restore the Jag installer to that. Then boot with option held down and select that partition to boot from.

However, if you've already got MorphOS installed, it's possible that you have the MorphOS bootloader installed as well, which means option and C won't work as boot selectors -- you'll have to do whatever the MorphOS bootloader requires you to do to get to an OF boot menu.
Mk.558
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Mk.558 »

I used this version of 10.2.7, but I also used OS X Server 10.2 Jaguar. Both worked. 10.3 Panther will also work, or at least the 10.3.9 Panther Server worked for me. 10.1 and 10.0 will not.
Classic Mac Networking v3.2 http://applefool.com/se30/ Update 4.0 in progress
"Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing." -oboedad55, ubuntuforums.org
tonyrh
Space Cadet

Post by tonyrh »

Mk.558 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:11 pm I used this version of 10.2.7, but I also used OS X Server 10.2 Jaguar. Both worked.
That version of Jaguar shows me a prohibitory symbol at boot, that should mean that the disk contains a Mac operating system, but it's not a version or build of macOS that my Mac Mini G4 can use right?
tonyrh
Space Cadet

Post by tonyrh »

adespoton wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:57 pm Best solution: create an 8GB partition on your Mini's boot media, and restore the Jag installer to that. Then boot with option held down and select that partition to boot from.
I successfully installed Tiger but the Classic env is basically unusable.
I don't know how to restore the Jag installer to a partition, I need to look into it. Thanks BTW.
Mk.558
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Mk.558 »

What kind of Mac mini do you have specifically?

I have a 1.33GHz mac mini and it boots that 10.2.7 CD right out of the box. Does not support 1920x1080, you'll have to either install the ATI 9200 drivers (I didn't, no idea what happens from there) or run XGA 1024x768.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/go ... g.2212514/

That's where I found out about it. Right now my mac mini G4 has 9.2.2, 10.2 Server, 10.3 Server, 10.4 server, 10.5.6 and 10.4.11.
Classic Mac Networking v3.2 http://applefool.com/se30/ Update 4.0 in progress
"Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing." -oboedad55, ubuntuforums.org
tonyrh
Space Cadet

Post by tonyrh »

Mk.558 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:18 am What kind of Mac mini do you have specifically?
It's a Mac mini G4/1.25.
I can mount the DVD with 10.2.7 and even start the installation: after I restart it reads the disc at first, I get an apple icon, but after a while it turns to a prohibitory icon.
On that thread you linked I see that you need 10.2.8 specifically to boot?
Also, my monitor is 1920x1080: as I understand it, Jaguar can start at that resolution but you get a scrambled screen?
Anyway, I can't even reach that point...
I just wanted to run some classic apps and games, mostly for nostalgia: I used to have an LC II with System 7.5, those were good times
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

tonyrh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:52 am
Mk.558 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:18 am What kind of Mac mini do you have specifically?
It's a Mac mini G4/1.25.
I can mount the DVD with 10.2.7 and even start the installation: after I restart it reads the disc at first, I get an apple icon, but after a while it turns to a prohibitory icon.
On that thread you linked I see that you need 10.2.8 specifically to boot?
Also, my monitor is 1920x1080: as I understand it, Jaguar can start at that resolution but you get a scrambled screen?
Anyway, I can't even reach that point...
I just wanted to run some classic apps and games, mostly for nostalgia: I used to have an LC II with System 7.5, those were good times
I've got two G4/1.25's: one of them runs 10.4.11 in 1920x1080 with 9.2.2 Classic, and does so reasonably well; the other one multi boots into 9.2.2 and 10.6a11PPC, spending most of its time in 9.2.2. I used to have 10.2.8 installed on it as well, but these days do all my app stability testing on 10.4 under classic (a bit slow, but not too bad), and if I need performance, I run the software under 9.2.2 bare metal. For what you're trying to do, I'd recommend getting the Mini OS 9 setup image, as that's going to get you the best performance results for pre-OS X software. If you partition your drive, you can put 9.2.2 on one partition and 10.4.11 on the other, and dual boot, so you can use the same 9.2.2 in your 10.4 Classic environment. That way, you have a way to run some software in a combined environment, and reboot into 9.2.2 when performance counts.
tonyrh
Space Cadet

Post by tonyrh »

adespoton wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:35 pm For what you're trying to do, I'd recommend getting the Mini OS 9 setup image, as that's going to get you the best performance results for pre-OS X software.
That looks promising, but what about the sound?
If I understand correctly, I need an USB sound card... even if I find one that works with OS9, then I'll need a (compatible) USB hub to connect mouse, keyboard and sound card.
I wish my mini came with the AirPort thing, I could use my bluetooth keyboard.

EDIT: re-reading your post I know understand that I could use the 9.2.2 classic in Tiger? So, no problem with sound? WOW...

Another EDIT: just installed OS 9 from macos9lives.com and it works fine! Audio is ok because I already had speakers with a volume knob attached, Thanks a lot for the tip!