OSX 10.5 Filesharing on Intel Mac running Sonoma

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

alexdegaris
Space Cadet

OSX 10.5 Filesharing on Intel Mac running Sonoma

Post by alexdegaris »

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting OSX 10.5 to access files on my local drive - I've has success with this in the past (in another mac OSX) but I can't seem to get networking going.

I'm thinking it could be a problem with the OS installer that I used? I've followed through the guides but can't seem to find a resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Here is my bash:

qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios \
-M mac99,via=pmu \
-display cocoa \
-m 2048 \
-g 1024x768x32 \
-boot c \
-device sungem,netdev=network01,mac=52:54:00:12:34:66 -netdev user,id=network01 \
-drive file=/Volumes/PortableSSD/OSXQEmu/emptydisk20Gb.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: OSX 10.5 Filesharing on Intel Mac running Sonoma

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Can you tell us how you attempt to get access to the files on the host?
With which macOS did you have success earlier? Has that changed since Sonoma?

Does your internet connection in Leopard work?

Best,
Cat_7
alexdegaris
Space Cadet

Post by alexdegaris »

Hi, thank you for replying!

I'm trying to transfer using file sharing on both machines- I've had this work with other virtual mac os's- namely OSX 10.4 & OS9 ( With Sonoma installed on my host machine).

Internet connection works on Leopard, but I haven't been able to successfully initiate file sharing.

thanks again,

Alex
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

alexdegaris wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:17 am Hi, thank you for replying!

I'm trying to transfer using file sharing on both machines- I've had this work with other virtual mac os's- namely OSX 10.4 & OS9 ( With Sonoma installed on my host machine).

Internet connection works on Leopard, but I haven't been able to successfully initiate file sharing.

thanks again,

Alex
You'd have the same issues on a real Mac -- Sonoma and Leopard don't "precisely" share any SMB or AppleShare authentication protocols.

They do, however, share SSH protocols, so SFTP works, and they can both do NFS filesharing, although both the server and client are a bit hidden (at one point, in a menu in Disk Utility).

Also, "precisely" is in air quotes, because AppleShare can be made to work: either turn on guest access (no authentication), or use the Go menu to explicitly connect to the other device (eg, afp://leopard.local) and use your short name to authenticate instead of the human readable name.

Those are the options out of the box; you could also install FileZilla on the devices and use FTP to transfer.

Of those options, of course, only AppleShare and SMB will preserve resource forks and metadata if you need that.
joevt
Student Driver

Post by joevt »

I usually have modern macOS connect to 10.5, rather than 10.5 connecting to modern macOS.

My VM uses Parallels Desktop for Mac.

From the host machine, I can use Shared or Bridge networking to connect to the guest VM.

I have to use Bridged networking for the VM to allow other Macs on the network to see the VM. Then connect using afp://10.0.0.8 (the IP of the VM).
alexdegaris
Space Cadet

Post by alexdegaris »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies.

Unfortunately I get server connection failed errors when attempting to connect the machines using afp or ftp.

Interestingly, the guest machine shows up in Finder on my host machine but connecting to it always fails.

Thanks for the FileZilla suggestion, I'll give it a go,

thanks again,

Alex