Sheepshaver and Sonoma ...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Sheepshaver and Sonoma ...

Post by rlesperance »

Quietly moved to Sonoma ... and today I realized that SheepShaver does not launch.

I am sure that one of you can help. What is the way out of this problem ?
Last edited by rlesperance on Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Sheepshaver and Sonoma ...

Post by adespoton »

rlesperance wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:21 pm Quietly moved to Sonoma ... and today I realized that SheepShaver does not launch.

I am sure athat one of you can help. What is the way out of this problem ?
Where did you move from? There have been a bunch of security updates slowly trickled out. There have also been changes to SheepShaver.app itself.

I'd start by dragging SheepShaver.app out of its folder to the desktop and back, then right clicking the app and selecting "Open" to launch it. You'll need your prefs to be configured correctly, and for a while SheepShaver was saving them in a different location (it's now back to the original default location in your home folder).
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hello adespoton,

A simple Ventura upgrade.

Moving out/in and selecting right click Open didn't work. I tried a few times. Tryin to open the app returns this system log:

Apr 2 20:35:20 iMacIntel AMPDevicesAgent[1275]: Entered:_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:309
Apr 2 20:35:20 iMacIntel AMPDevicesAgent[1275]: Entered:__thr_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:309
Apr 2 20:35:20 iMacIntel AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent[659]: Entered:_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:309
Apr 2 20:35:20 iMacIntel AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent[927]: Entered:_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:309
Apr 2 20:35:20 iMacIntel AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent[659]: Entered:__thr_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:309
Apr 2 20:35:20 iMacIntel AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent[927]: Entered:__thr_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:309

SheepShaver has been always working for me. The last possible modification is my Sonoma upgrade.

Is there a special Sonoma instruction check list ?

Thanks for helping.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You did not mention on which host machine you upgraded to Sonoma. If you used OCLP (open core legacy patcher) to run Ventura (and now Sonoma) on a not-supported Intel machine, SheepShaver will stop working after upgrade to Sonoma.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hello Ronald the Great,

I upgraded on my iMac Intel (2019) and, to my knowledge, I didn't use OCLP. I have no idea what it is.

Gosh ! Hope I didn't break anything.

Thanks for always being a glad helper of this great resource.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Have you downloaded the latest version from this forum?
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hello emendelson,

What is the version I should be looking for and can you refer me to the link? I did not find it.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

viewtopic.php?t=7360

Download the latest version in the first post.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thanks Emendelson,

I did run the Correct prefs location script. I did not get any error message nor confirmation.

How can I be sure that it has completed as intended ... in order to continue the upgrade of the new build ?
Where can I see the build version ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The script does not give any confirmation. If ran without error, it should be OK.

If you want to check the location of the prefs file:
Open your Home folder
Hit command-shift-. (command-shift-dot). This will reveal hidden files.
If the .sheepshaver_prefs file is among the revealed files in your Home folder, it is in the correct location.
Hit again command-shift-. to hide the files again.

The build version number does not identify the version. It stayed the same for many years. The builds are identified by their build date (creation date).
The latest build is the 28 February 2024 build.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thank you again Ronald.

What is my computer's file to check the build date on ?

I am always impress by the possibility to use legacy software, bust mostly to have this kind of pro, enthousiat, speedy and that I can trust support. That amazes me.

How many SheepShavers users do you think you are all helping ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Select a file (any file) in the Finder, hit command-I (or choose Show Info from the File menu). The Finder Info panel for that file will open with info about that file, among which the creation and modification dates. SheepShaver's creation date is its build date. (could be one day off, depending on your time zone).

I wonder why you ask which file to check for the build date. Of course it is the SheepShaver application.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Ronald,

I runned the script and installed the new Sheepshaver build (25-02-24). It still does not work. It launches but quit immediatly.

Any clue ?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

rlesperance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:51 pm Ronald,

I runned the script and installed the new Sheepshaver build (25-02-24). It still does not work. It launches but quit immediatly.

Any clue ?
What happens if you open terminal.app, drag the Sheepshaver.app file onto the window, then change the end to Sheepshaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver and press Enter?

It should spit out some text into Terminal before quitting.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Before going further, I think I know what's the problem.

I forgot to mention that I changed my user name a few days ago, a modification that was made in the Users & Groups section of the OS System preference. So, before, files were in User1 and now they are in User2. Just recalled that the Sheepshaver's prefs points to files (ROM, etc ...) located in my previous user name and that these pointers have to be changed.

If it is the problem (sorry about that), how can I modify those pointers without opening Sheepshaver ?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

rlesperance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:55 pm Before going further, I think I know what's the problem.

I forgot to mention that I changed my user name a few days ago, a modification that was made in the Users & Groups section of the OS System preference. So, before, files were in User1 and now they are in User2. Just recalled that the Sheepshaver's prefs points to files (ROM, etc ...) located in my previous user name and that these pointers have to be changed.

If it is the problem (sorry about that), how can I modify those pointers without opening Sheepshaver ?
Put “Mac OS ROM” file (no hidden extension) in the same folder as Sheepshaver.app. This should allow Sheepshaver to boot, at which point you can enter all your other settings.

Or, to avoid all this in the future, you can put all your files in a sheepvm folder, and be able to just launch that no matter where it moves / which account it is run from. I generally try to avoid using the global Sheepshaver preferences file, for this reason among others (like having multiple configurations I switch between).
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thank you all. Divine community !