Basilisk II Port for Nokia Internet Tablets

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Basilisk II Port for Nokia Internet Tablets

Post by Mac Emu »

Hi All. I ported over Basilisk II to run (fast) on Nokia Internet Tablets (N770, N800, N810), then a real developer took over to make it beyond cool (full screen, sticky mouse issue resolved). Many people new to Mac emulation are going nuts over it. :mrgreen:

(I also ported Mini vMac and PearPC.) :lol:

Read about and get it here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forum ... hp?t=16306

ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That's awesome. You totally gotta log-in and post that on the mainpage.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I see you mentioned the thread on the Internet Tablet Talk forum already. I'll need to search for my Admin login info again as CrapCleaner appears to have deleted the cookie.

I'd like to setup a webpage about running Basilisk II on the NITs, but the developer who took over the project is working on another release, hopefully a deb package with a prefs editor which would make any directions I start writing obsolete in a day or two.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

You don't have an e-mail tied to your account, so you cant have a password mailed to you. let me know if you want your pass reset.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

This sounds quite interesting having BII on a small device.

But what actually does the Nokia Internet Tablet do other than run BII? (I'd never heard of it before this topic).
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

The Nokia Internet Tablet N800 is like a mini-laptop running Linux. I can't possibly cover\capture all it's coolness.

I have watched full length movies on it, played MP3s (via iPhone-type software interfaces with kinetic scrolling), read eBooks (PDF, CHM, DJVU, etc.), surfed the Internet, made phone calls via Skype, taken pictures, captured video, made video chats, Listened to Internet radio AND the built-in radio, played games, ran Abiword, Gnumeric, SciTE, etc. ran Basilisk II\DOSBox\MAME\FCE, etc.

It can connect via Wi-Fi b/g and Bluetooth, use GPS (via other paired devices) and run map programs. It has 2 (!) SD card slots. It has a super-crisp 800x480 screen with twice the dpi that a iTouch has. I bought it because the price recently dropped to ~$200-$230 after the release of the N810 (which has integrated GPS and a slide keyboard).

(Amazon.com has a good price) http://computers.pricegrabber.com/pdas/ ... ce/st=sort

An update called Maemo Linux OS 2008 came out 2 months ago that greatly improves and enhances the speed and functionality, though it can run other Linux operating systems and desktop environments.

Plenty of videos on YouTube about it: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... arch_type=
t3h
Space Cadet

Post by t3h »

I was the developer who did the fullscreen / sticky mouse fix.

Anyway, I've been playing with it, and I've been trying to get Bolo to run (unfortunately, it's too slow). The CPU being emulated is a 68030, which is the default, and feels the most responsive. 040 seems to be a whole heap slower because it enables FPU emulation. Frameskip has been set to 0 (dynamic), 1 and 6, to not much improvement. I guess a 400MHZ ARM CPU isn't quite fast enough :(

I'll try compiling with -O3 to see if that can pull a little more out.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Hi t3h!

Here are some informal non-real world bench tests using your Build #3. The Complex and Floating Point scores are higher with the FPU.

68030 no FPU

68030 with FPU

68040 (with FPU)
t3h
Space Cadet

Post by t3h »

That is quite interesting, as my TechTool benchmarks seem to prove the opposite :)

I'll try more real world testing.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

More B2 on NIT screenshots.

Basilisk II Rotated

Windows on Mac on Linux
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

A few new words about Basilisk II and the pce/macplus emulator on the Nokia devices happened recently over here:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MacWinDO ... ?msg=714.1
app73n3rd
Space Cadet

Re: Basilisk II Port for Nokia Internet Tablets

Post by app73n3rd »

Anyone still have this software? All links are dead and I’d like to play around with it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

app73n3rd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:52 pm Anyone still have this software? All links are dead and I’d like to play around with it.
Which software? This is BII running on a Nokia Internet Tablet. NIT is a custom Linux distribution, and BII now has a pretty solid Linux build system.

Are you specifically looking for the custom NIT build of BII? I think the website walks you through how to compile it yourself?

Top link is available at https://web.archive.org/web/20090216213 ... hp?t=16306
app73n3rd
Space Cadet

Post by app73n3rd »

Sorry. I have a Nokia N900 and I'm looking to try Basilisk II.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

app73n3rd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:52 pm Anyone still have this software? All links are dead and I’d like to play around with it.
If you really want this, the guy who wrote the original post back in 2008 is active in the "Mac Emulation" Facebook group. You can find him there.
app73n3rd
Space Cadet

Post by app73n3rd »

Thank you.