SheepShaver for Windows

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver for Windows

Post by adespoton »

Interesting that the issue is consistently moving from 512 to 1024MB VRAM in the BIOS. We understand the reason (the static mapping of components of SheepShaver in memory overruns the memory block allocated), but maybe this points to a potential solution for someone hacking the SheepShaver code? Moving the block earlier in the process seems to help for some people (the rest of the process heap can be addressed anywhere), but if your memory is constrained in some way, that's obviously not enough.

Just spitballing here, but maybe all of the bits with static addressing don't have to be in the same contiguous chunk of memory? Or maybe addressing from VRAM at all is the issue? Could this be addressed with changing the memory allocation API used, as more modern APIs can present a "virtual allocated block" that in reality is dynamically assigned by the VRAM control logic in Windows? The problem with this method is that the memory allocation wouldn't be backwards-compatible with pre-Win8 Windows, so we'd need a code fork in the source code.
walterg74
Space Cadet

Post by walterg74 »

Cat_7 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:19 am I've posted a new build in the first post in this thread with the fix for the "cannot map RAM:No Error" error.

Best,
Cat_7
Just downloaded and AV detected a virus in this file (Never detected anything for previous releases of this, or of basilisk) :???:
Last edited by walterg74 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I just submitted the executable to several online virus scanners. Nothing was found. Which AV software are you running?

Best,
Cat_7
szi280
Space Cadet

Post by szi280 »

Detected by antiviruses that use BitDefender and its engine.

Gen:Variant.Jaik.219776
[SheepShaver-Windows-25-02-2024.zip] and [BasiliskII-Windows_19-01-2024.zip],
[SheepShaverGUI.exe] and [BasiliskIIGUI.exe]

Previous versions did not detect it.
Last edited by szi280 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This is one more of many reasons not to use third-party malware detection on an updated Windows system. I gave up the last one I used (Malwarebytes) two years ago, and have never regretted it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Indeed, some positives when analysing the GUIs. I submitted them to: https://virusscan.jotti.org/
No have no idea what to make of the result. The machine on which I build runs the MS AV option.

Best,
Cat_7
szi280
Space Cadet

Post by szi280 »

I personally use it as a second opinion, so I haven't had any problems.
However, I posted this because I saw the detection results displayed on "VirusTotal" and saw posts from people complaining of similar symptoms.

I have reported it to BitDefender as a false positive.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This is very strange. VirusTotal.com reports 14 false positives (out of 72 tests) with SheepShaverGUI.exe from the first post in this thread. But my own build, made on 4 February in MSYS32, gets only one "unsafe" out of 72 tests. Mine is codesigned, so I codesigned your build, and that reduced the number of false positives to 10 for your build, but still a lot more than the 1 for mine.

Maybe something in your build environment is causing the problem? I didn't change any of the SheepShaverGUI code for my build.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Maybe something in your build environment is causing the problem? I didn't change any of the SheepShaverGUI code for my build.
I use just a plain, up to date, msys2 32 bit environment to build. The source comes straight from kanjitalk. No changes from my side, I wouldn't know how ;-)

Something is flagging something: during a new build I just did from fresh source MS AV reported it had to perform a cloud scan, so it uploaded some file and checked it. I assume the result was negative, otherwise the file would have been quarantined or deleted. I've never seen this before.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'll do some digging and see if I can get things delisted:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/search/s ... .exe/files shows the current status for all the versions. Looks like BitDefender went a bit aggressive on their Jaik ID, and a few other vendors started detecting because a bunch of the BitDefender-based products were detecting.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:06 pm
I use just a plain, up to date, msys2 32 bit environment to build. The source comes straight from kanjitalk. No changes from my side, I wouldn't know how ;-)

Something is flagging something: during a new build I just did from fresh source MS AV reported it had to perform a cloud scan, so it uploaded some file and checked it. I assume the result was negative, otherwise the file would have been quarantined or deleted. I've never seen this before.

Best,
Cat_7
I'm pretty sure I know where the issue is: MSys2 is a bit odd in how it assembles PE files. And SheepShaver is a bit odd in how it allocates memory. The combination means that some junior analyst at BitDefender probably saw "Dodgy PE structure + odd call to secondary executable" and jumped to the conclusion that it was a malware loader (and not an emulator loader).

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/search/b ... 2522/files kind of backs that up. Frustrating that a single mis-step by BitDefender means 14 detections in VirusTotal because of re-use of their detection data by other products.
Vidmaster
Student Driver

Post by Vidmaster »

Thanks a lot for the updated build, I got a classic Mac for gaming again now...
Foxhack
Space Cadet

Post by Foxhack »

Hello. I posted something here like... six years ago but really haven't used the program much since then. I recently updated my computer, so I redid the install, upgraded to the latest builds, and it works way better now.

However, I did find a bug that happened to me back in the day, but didn't figure out until now.

It seems that SheepShaver does not like hybrid ISO/HFS discs. If I insert a hybrid disc, it refuses to load it. But if I insert an HFS-only disc, it works fine. I only figured this out because I was testing some magazine CDs from an ebay auction I won, and the hybrid discs refused to work. But, the HFS-only discs loaded right away.

(Also, is the program just... locking the drive now? I can't eject any disc I insert, I have to shut down emulation to swap discs.)
walterg74
Space Cadet

Post by walterg74 »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:20 am I just submitted the executable to several online virus scanners. Nothing was found. Which AV software are you running?

Best,
Cat_7
It is bitdefender.

Seems the new version now is not detected anymore :smile:
walterg74
Space Cadet

Post by walterg74 »

emendelson wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:07 pm This is one more of many reasons not to use third-party malware detection on an updated Windows system. I gave up the last one I used (Malwarebytes) two years ago, and have never regretted it.
This is exactly the reason to use it... I would rather get a false positive and have it corrected later, than new malware that "an updated windows system" will not detect and be screwed...
Taiyaki
Space Cadet

Post by Taiyaki »

Love this software so much, but I have a pretty annoying bug to report:

On Windows 10 (maybe 11 too?), the control strip found in later Mac OS versions is now stuck to VGA proportions location. Meaning if it's running in 1024x768 (the resolution I use), the control strip is stuck in the middle of the screen at the same place it would be had this been in 640x480.

It's annoying cause this wasn't in the older builds pre 2021 (hadn't upgraded since then till recently).
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I believe this was a bug on real hardware as well, but others have to confirm that ;-)
If you remove the control strip prefs, it should position itself on the bottom of the screen.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am not sure it was considered a bug at the time.

Anyway, you can easily correct the control strip position. When you grab the right end of the trip with the option key pressed, you can move the strip up and down and place it at any height you like.
Taiyaki
Space Cadet

Post by Taiyaki »

Thank you immensely to both of you! I Must have done that on the older versions and forgot that one had to press the option key to be able to move it.
Taiyaki
Space Cadet

Post by Taiyaki »

So actually that didn't seem to work. I both deleted the control strip preferences and tried the option click on the strip itself to move it, but it doesn't seem to work. Am I correct in thinking that the option key is mapped to the windows key on a Windows system? Maybe I'm holding down the wrong key.

I tried deleting the preferences and restarting but it just reappears and the strip is still stuck at the middle of the screen.
Last edited by Taiyaki on Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Taiyaki wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 pm So actually that didn't seem to work. I both deleted the control strip preferences and tried the option click on the strip itself to move it, but it doesn't seem to work. Am I correct in thinking that the option key is mapped to the windows key on a Windows system? Maybe I'm holding down the wrong key.

I tried deleting the preferences and restarting but it just reappears and the strip is still stuck at the middle of the screen.
Try the right alt key. I seem to recall that command was mapped to left alt and option to right alt at one point; the windows key can be tricky, as Windows 10 and 11 tend to claim sole control of the key.

If it IS bound to the Windows key, you'll probably want to re-bind it elsewhere via an SDL2 keyconfig file.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If you use a recent SheepShaver build
and if settings in the prefs file is the default (for Windows hosts): swap_opt_cmd true
and if (only if you use a keycodes file) the keycodes file is created January 2022 (older keycodes files will not work properly with recent SheepShaver builds)
the Windows key will function as option key

Press and hold that key and move the cursor over the very right end of the control strip. The arrow will change to a hand icon. While still holding the Windows key press and hold the left mouse button and you should be able to move the strip up and/or down.
Taiyaki
Space Cadet

Post by Taiyaki »

Thank you! So it is the Windows key. I hadn't realized that my keyboard was in the disable windows key mode. Was able to successfully move the control strip now. Big thank you!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Taiyaki wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 am I hadn't realized that my keyboard was in the disable windows key mode.
That is what current SheepShaver and BasiliskII builds do.