Qemu virtio drivers for Mac OS 9.x

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu virtio drivers for Mac OS 9.x

Post by Cat_7 »

The -g option only sets the size of the openbios window. Subsequent choices made in the monitors control panel in Mac OS are saved in the Mac OS monitors prefs. Mac OS will boot into the last resolution set.
Do you not have a wide choice of resolutions available in the control panel?

Best,
Cat_7
ckweb
Student Driver

Post by ckweb »

Thanks for the background info on this! :) I did download the PPC QEMU version from here (I think?) trusting it would yield the best options and results all around. I tried to find or manually work-in some 16:9-friendly resolutions, and saw that adding -g only did exactly what you said it does, Cat_7 :(

I'll leave it be for now, but I'm very thankful that with some hacking, QEMU's resolutions are modifiable, which was my main goal; how to get it done, well thanks Adespoton for shedding light in that arena (I was afraid and almost knew that it would entail some hacking under the hood) ;) thanks again!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The virtio-vga driver allows you to resize the qemu window, after which the resolution is adjusted to the new size ;-)

A new build was posted in the first post in this thread.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:09 pm The virtio-vga driver allows you to resize the qemu window, after which the resolution is adjusted to the new size ;-)

A new build was posted in the first post in this thread.

Best,
Cat_7
The driver is available for OS 9 -- has anyone compiled it for OS X PPC yet?
siddhartha
Student Driver

Post by siddhartha »

This project is an incredible achievement! Well done!
macfly
Space Cadet

Post by macfly »

"-drive file=9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk \
-fsdev local,id=UNIQUENAME,security_model=none,path=/PATH/TO/HOST/FOLDER"
Hi, what path to host folder should we supply if image with installed OS is supplied already in 1st line? (9.2.img)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The whole idea is to have access to a folder on your computer from Qemu running Mac OS, so you need to enter a path to local folder. I suggest you make an empty folder and share that.
If you do that in your home folder, you should enter something like /Users/yourusername/foldername

Edited to fix the path notation.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:54 pm \Users\yourusername\foldername
Woudn't that be /Users/yourusername/foldername on a macOS host?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

indeed ;-)
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Even though the vast majority of everything that is posted in this thread is WAY over my head -- I am still a padawan grasshopper -- I REALLY like the new features which are being added to Qemu. Thanks to MUCH help from Cat_7, I now have a full installation of Mac OS 9.0.4 running in SheepShaver and a full installation of Mac OS 92.2 running in Qemu. They are identical setups running both my Hermes II BBS and my old Hotline server.

Now to my question. I am adventurous, so I have now downloaded these latest additions. As I told Cat_7, after dealing with control-option-g for just one day, I am so glad that I can now seamlessly move my mouse from Qemu to my macOS desktop.

My question actually concerns adding a folder on the Sonoma side. Is this basically the same thing that SheepShaver does with the Unix folder? In other words, by providing the required parameters in that string, does that mean that whatever folder I select will automatically mount on my Mac OS 9.22 desktop when I start Qemu?

If so, what am I supposed to put for UNIQUENAME? Can that be any name I want, and is that the name which will appear on the Mac OS 9.2.2 desktop?

I apologize if I am a little slow at grasping this stuff, but I don't have the background that you guys all very obviously have. :)

If this does indeed solve the missing Unix folder problem, I will be happy indeed!
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, it aims to provide access to a folder on the host, much like the unix drive in SheepShaver. But at the same time the tech is different.

You need pairs of lines (and make sure the lines end correctly regarding \ or not)

-device virtio-9p-pci,fsdev=UNIQUENAME,mount_tag="Macintosh HD" \
-fsdev local,id=UNIQUENAME,security_model=none,path=/PATH/TO/HOST/FOLDER

mount_tag is what sets the name of the disk appearing on your desktop.
UNIQUENAME can be anything, as long as it is unique in the sense that when you add a second shared folder it can be distinguished from the first.
UNIQUENAME has to be the same in the pair of lines. So the fsfev= in the first line and id= in the second line have the same argument.
path sets the path to the folder on the host you want to share. Best start with an empty one.

Note the sharing is experimental and is not perfectly reliable! There are issues. You have been warned. Providing feedback on the functionality is of course OK, but if thing go horribly wrong you really are on your own.

Best,
Cat_7
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

When you say that it sets the name of the disk, do you mean that I should put the name of my Sonoma hard drive, being as that is where the shared folder is located? Or are you talking about the other thing where they talk about mounting another Mac OS 9 volume?

And thank you for your very explicit instructions. That is how guidance SHOULD be written, and I appreciate it. You techies need to remember to always talk to us less informed folks as if we know nothing, or at least very little. Providing specific details makes it so much easier for us to understand and learn.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

mount_tag is what you'll see on the OS 9 desktop.

path is the location of the folder on your host system (Sonoma) that you want to share.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

In other words, the name of the shared folder from the Sonoma side?
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Old-School-BBSer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:50 pm In other words, the name of the shared folder from the Sonoma side?
The entire path. So if you've got a shared folder named "Shared Folder" in your Documents folder, you'd enter path="/User/<your username>/Documents/Shared Folder"

Note the quotes. If you don't use them, you'll need to use \ to escape any spaces in the path, or the command line will think the space is the start of a new command.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Okay, I finally got it working. BUT -- and I don't know if this is what Cat_7 warned me about -- but my cursor in Mac OS 9.2.2 has become totally useless. I mean it is jumping around all over the place, and I can barely get it to hover over anything.

The shared folder does appear on my Mac OS 9 desktop, and inside there is a folder called "TheVolumeSettingsFolder".

I just placed a file in the shared folder on the Sonoma side, and it does appear on the Mac OS 9 side. So, that is good.

But again, I don't know if enabling this is what is causing extreme sluggishness on the Mac OS 9 side, but it is totally unusable. Not only is the cursor jumping all over the place as I try to move it, but it is creating a track in the desktop.

I am going to remove those two strings from my qemu-command script and see if doing so fixes this.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Old-School-BBSer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:23 pm Okay, I finally got it working. BUT -- and I don't know if this is what Cat_7 warned me about -- but my cursor in Mac OS 9.2.2 has become totally useless. I mean it is jumping around all over the place, and I can barely get it to hover over anything.

The shared folder does appear on my Mac OS 9 desktop, and inside there is a folder called "TheVolumeSettingsFolder".

I just placed a file in the shared folder on the Sonoma side, and it does appear on the Mac OS 9 side. So, that is good.

But again, I don't know if enabling this is what is causing extreme sluggishness on the Mac OS 9 side, but it is totally unusable. Not only is the cursor jumping all over the place as I try to move it, but it is creating a track in the desktop.

I am going to remove those two strings from my qemu-command script and see if doing so fixes this.
If it does, the solution would appear to be: enable those lines to copy files across, then disable those lines again. Or just have two files you can use to start your OS 9 -- one with and one without. Pick whichever one you need when you boot.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

OKay, I just found the problem.

I removed both strings for the shared folder, and the problem with the cursor, screen tracks and extreme sluggishness did NOT disappear. So it had to be something else.

So next I removed the strings for the virtio VGA and the tablet cursor.

With that, the problem disappeared.

As it turns out, the virtio VGA is the culprit. It wasn't causing that to happen before. It wasn't until after I added the strings for the shared folder that the issue began.

So, I re-added the strings for the tablet cursor -- which I love -- as well as for the shared folder. Both appear to be working fine again. My mouse is once again moving smoothly across Mac OS 9, and smoothly transitioning to Sonoma, and I have a nice 1280x768 desktop with Hermes II and Hotline running on it side-by-side, so I am once again a happy camper.

Oh, and BTW, Cat_7 was right when he told me that Qemu is not only faster than SheepShaver, but also much more stable. SheepShaver was driving me nuts!
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Well, you certainly are adventurous, I could have told you not to use the virtio-vga device.....There was a reason I didn't mention it.
But OK, you learned from your own experience, so that is good ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

It's because I have lived out here on this island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for so long. Plus we have Chinese and North Korean ICBMs pointed at us. So that kind of makes a guy a little crazy. :mrgreen: :smile:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
greystash
Space Cadet

Post by greystash »

Thank you very much!! The performance is fantastic :cool:
airat78
Inquisitive Elf

Post by airat78 »

Can this driver been written for Mac OS X 10.1...10.5? OS X with this driver would be work more productively.