BasiliskII for Linux

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Re: BasiliskII for Linux

Post by Dagobertus »

I need some help here with the audio device. Several programs like e.g. Sound Sculptor II (https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/soundsculptor-ii) work fine until they issue some call to the audio device, which causes them to terminate with "error code 12".

Now MTT from the MacGarden found out that the Windows only B2 build 142 (running Mac OS 8.1) does *not* produce this error. Yet all other builds on all other platforms do.

So what has changed in the code since then and why did this degradation happen? I always thought that "don't break things that used to be working" is one of the main principles of ongoing software development and build 142 is said to be almost ancient. So why was this part of the code changed so that its no longer working?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

What do you mean by issuing a call to the audio device? Audio out or audio in?
I just tried playing a sine curve in SheepShaver for Windows (Mac OS 9.04), and that works fine. Same in our Qemu-m68k windows build (Mac OS 8.1).

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It's audio out from SoundSculptor II (and most of the SoundEdit products) on BII. Issue doesn't seem to exist on Mini vMac, QEMU or SheepShaver.

The person who originally discovered this is using a mobile build of BII and doesn't have access to the other emulators, but others of us have replicated the issue on regular macOS/Linux/Windows builds.
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Re: BasiliskII for Linux - Problem with PulseAudio

Post by Dagobertus »

Just to recapture: I am running B-II v1.1 by Christian Bauer under chortt'ed Debian 64bit Linux on an Android ARM tablet. Because Android doesn't allow chroot'ed processes direct access to the Audio device (sharing is caring, which means Android prohibits any user process to lay exclusive claim to Audio out), I got to use XSDL - a separate Android app - to provide me with a Pulse Audio server.

Now that works very well most of the time, except Android stubbornly insists on killing XSDL, even with battery optimization switched off, when it has been idle for too long. That in turn kills the audio in Basilisk II, because even when I restart XSDL B-II won't use that new instance. I have to shut down and restart the Basilisk emulator for sound to be working again.

Now is there a way for me to reestablish Pulse Audio output, in case XSDL has to be restarted, w/o having to restart MacOS, too?
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Bump - and Happy Easter!
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Hello. I need a little bit of help with keycodes. I just installed BII into my linux mint. Do i have to copy the keycodes file from the github website?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

psh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:39 pm Hello. I need a little bit of help with keycodes. I just installed BII into my linux mint. Do i have to copy the keycodes file from the github website?
You only need the keycodes file if you're not happy with the default key layout (eg, you have an international keyboard).

The keycodes files for SDL1 and SDL2 are different, so make sure you've got the correct one. Also, remember that this site bases off the Kanjitalk755 repository and not the Cebix repository -- they have diverged over the years.
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

adespoton wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:53 pm
psh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:39 pm Hello. I need a little bit of help with keycodes. I just installed BII into my linux mint. Do i have to copy the keycodes file from the github website?
You only need the keycodes file if you're not happy with the default key layout (eg, you have an international keyboard).

The keycodes files for SDL1 and SDL2 are different, so make sure you've got the correct one. Also, remember that this site bases off the Kanjitalk755 repository and not the Cebix repository -- they have diverged over the years.
well i need that. I dont found keycodes to be included here in linux version. (i dont know where to get one for linux)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

psh wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:39 pm
adespoton wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:53 pm

well i need that. I dont found keycodes to be included here in linux version. (i dont know where to get one for linux)
Does this work? http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/keycodes ... y_2022.zip