GSPlus issues with a few games

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

striderx99
Space Cadet

GSPlus issues with a few games

Post by striderx99 »

Hello. This isn't a Mac-related topic, but I thought I'd ask the people in this forum for some advice. I have setup the GSPlus emulator on my Raspberry Pi 4B+ with .gsp files for several games. There are three that are giving me problems loading, however. They include The King of Chicago, The Immortal, and Wolfenstein 3D (v1.1). I tried using an Apple2GS.rom3 file (256 kb) and placed the .2mg files for each in sd51 and sd52 (for the two disk games) and just used sd51 for Wolfenstein 3D. Are there specific rom3 files that I need to use for each game? Should I have included any GSOS or .hdv files as well? I have also attempted to create a .gsp file for Flobynoid (2002).dsk (it is an Apple II Arkanoid clone that was remade to work on Apple IIgs emulators), but the only step I took for that game was to add it to the sd51 slot. I'm not sure which .rom file should be used or if any GSOS or .hdv file should also be included. If anyone has ideas on how to get these working correctly, please let me know. Thank you. :smile:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: GSPlus issues with a few games

Post by adespoton »

striderx99 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:01 am Hello. This isn't a Mac-related topic, but I thought I'd ask the people in this forum for some advice. I have setup the GSPlus emulator on my Raspberry Pi 4B+ with .gsp files for several games. There are three that are giving me problems loading, however. They include The King of Chicago, The Immortal, and Wolfenstein 3D (v1.1). I tried using an Apple2GS.rom3 file (256 kb) and placed the .2mg files for each in sd51 and sd52 (for the two disk games) and just used sd51 for Wolfenstein 3D. Are there specific rom3 files that I need to use for each game? Should I have included any GSOS or .hdv files as well? I have also attempted to create a .gsp file for Flobynoid (2002).dsk (it is an Apple II Arkanoid clone that was remade to work on Apple IIgs emulators), but the only step I took for that game was to add it to the sd51 slot. I'm not sure which .rom file should be used or if any GSOS or .hdv file should also be included. If anyone has ideas on how to get these working correctly, please let me know. Thank you. :smile:
I presume this is cross-posted from https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/356 ... -few-games ?

And you've already read https://www.reddit.com/r/apple2/comment ... ies_guide/ and https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/gsp ... post-15958 ?

You'll need a GS ROM file, and rom3 is the best place to start. Beyond that, you may need a working GSOS setup if the 2mg files you're using are just install disks or don't come with a PRODOS or GSOS booter.

If you do set up a full GSOS environment, I've found that's generally the best place to start. Then you can mount your 2mg and attempt to install/run the game, and if it doesn't require GSOS, you'll get a nice notice asking if you want to reboot into PRODOS to play the game, and can reboot.

Otherwise, you're going in blind, equivalent to plugging a HDD into a IIGS without knowing exactly what's on it.

A lot of the information in https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/kegs should directly map to GSPlus, as GSPlus is essentially kegs with a few tweaks.
striderx99
Space Cadet

Re: GSPlus issues with a few games

Post by striderx99 »

I posted on the RetroPie forums too. Most of the time, they are able to give me answers to questions about the Pi 4B+. There are times where questions are more centered around Apple machines, so I reach out to the gurus here and get solutions a little more quickly.

I was able to find a version of The King of Chicago on the archive.org. The poster stated that it requires a 768K Apple IIgs ROM01 or later. I've never run across that size of a rom, so I'm guessing that I could possibly use TaifunBoot to select System 6.0.1 or maybe one of the Prodos boot volumes it also includes. I may try the same with The Immortal and Wolfenstein 3D. As for Flobynoid, I'll try using an earlier Prodos boot volume and see if it loads correctly.