Qemu virtio drivers for Mac OS 9.x

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Qemu virtio drivers for Mac OS 9.x

Post by adespoton »

codoodguy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:48 am Would it be possible for the mouse driver to be patched up for games? Due to the way it works, it breaks fps games currently so I'm stuck w/ USB inputs.
The driver is a tablet driver; as I doubt you'd want to use a tablet to play FPS games, it's probably not the right option for doing so.

The idea behind the driver is that it can map precise points instead of the delta coordinates, which means the emulator can integrate the host mouse by passing through mouse location. The alternatives are to either emulate the pointing device completely, or to do some heavy math to translate the host delta or coordinates into the emulator delta. The last would be slow and stuttery and potentially innacurate, and the middle option is the USB input option you already have.

Did you have another idea beyond those three that could be viably implemented?
codoodguy
Student Driver

Post by codoodguy »

adespoton wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:33 pm
codoodguy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:48 am Would it be possible for the mouse driver to be patched up for games? Due to the way it works, it breaks fps games currently so I'm stuck w/ USB inputs.
The driver is a tablet driver; as I doubt you'd want to use a tablet to play FPS games, it's probably not the right option for doing so.

The idea behind the driver is that it can map precise points instead of the delta coordinates, which means the emulator can integrate the host mouse by passing through mouse location. The alternatives are to either emulate the pointing device completely, or to do some heavy math to translate the host delta or coordinates into the emulator delta. The last would be slow and stuttery and potentially innacurate, and the middle option is the USB input option you already have.

Did you have another idea beyond those three that could be viably implemented?
I think at this point, the only option is to improve input emulation upstream. Even w/ other OSes, Qemu's mouse emulation really sucks. This might sound stupid, but I always liked how WinUAE handled mouse input in games. I wonder if some of the code for that could be adapted to qemu?
Madd the Sane
Student Driver

Post by Madd the Sane »

Are there any plans on adding OpenGL pass-thru or RAVE emulation?
Get out of my mind, idea! I already have an idea in there!