"Option" key mapped? (solved)

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

"Option" key mapped? (solved)

Post by CaptainValor »

I know the Command (CTRL) and Cluster (ALT) keys are mapped in PPC, but is the "Option" key mapped? I can't seem to determine what the equivelant is. :?

EDIT: Okay, apparently kybernaut was right all along. The Option key is mapped to "AltGr", or (on a US Keyboard) the right-hand Alt key. So nevermind! :)
Last edited by CaptainValor on Sun May 30, 2004 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Option is AltGr (at least on my machine)
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

And what exactly is "AltGr"? Like where is it located?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

right from the space bar...
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Ok, there's an "Alt" key on either side of my spacebar. Are you saying Windows distinguishes between the two? And the one on the right is AltGr?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

on my german keyboard: yes :wink:
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

on my german keyboard: yes
Ok, so the German Altgr is actually what key on a US 101 Keyboard? The right ALT key?
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

I tried that and it doesn't appear to correspond to the Option key. Has anyone using a US Keyboard figured out which key is Option?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

I just tried and yes, the right ALT key (eg ALT Gr) is the Option key under Mac OS. But for some reason it is not always interpreted correctly when pressed in conjunction with other keys: WIth Command it seems to be a shift key...

Anyway, I think there are differences between german and americanm keyboards. for ex: the command key is the left ALT here... And btw: what the hell is the "cluster" key? 8O
dylan2000
Student Driver

Post by dylan2000 »

kybernaut wrote:Anyway, I think there are differences between german and americanm keyboards. for ex: the command key is the left ALT here... And btw: what the hell is the "cluster" key? 8O
there are quite a few differences between de and us keyboards; you need to hold alt gr to type curly and square brackets, which is a hassle for coding, a lot of non-alphanumeric keys are just in the 'wrong' place for no apparent reason and de keyboards have keys like Ö Ä Ü ß which aren't found on us keyboards.

also the Z and Y keys are swapped because Z is used more often in german than it is in english so when you're used to a us one and then move to germany everyone wonders why you always type zellow, mondaz, yoom, etc. :)

and they translated all the 'contol', 'delete', 'home', etc. keys into german because english wasn't so widely used in those days. so control-alt-delete is actually steuerung-alt-entfernen :P
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

That's fascinating, but it still doesn't answer my question. ;)

Oh, and the Cluster key is the key in OS X that looks like a four leaf clover. It's used more commonly than the Option key. For instance, Cluster+C is Copy, and Cluster+I is Get Info. On US Keyboards the Cluster key is mapped to Alt (both of them).
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

CaptainValor wrote:That's fascinating, but it still doesn't answer my question. ;)

Oh, and the Cluster key is the key in OS X that looks like a four leaf clover. It's used more commonly than the Option key. For instance, Cluster+C is Copy, and Cluster+I is Get Info. On US Keyboards the Cluster key is mapped to Alt (both of them).
Hhmm, on my Mac, the Cluster key = Apple key = Command Key!
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

So on an Apple keyboard there's a Control key, a Command/Cluster/Apple key, AND an Option key?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

CaptainValor wrote:So on an Apple keyboard there's a Control key, a Command/Cluster/Apple key, AND an Option key?
exactly...

CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Awesome!

I have to say though, some of the Option+Whatever combinations are a bit awkward using the right Alt key. But at least they work. ;)