Mac OS X running on Win XP running on Mac OS X

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

sveinbjorn
Space Cadet

Mac OS X running on Win XP running on Mac OS X

Post by sveinbjorn »

Well, I rose to the challenge of a bet I made with my boss -- I successfully managed to boot Mac OS X on Windows XP running on Mac OS X. Here's a screenshot

http://sveinbjorn.vefsyn.is/images/maconwinonmac.jpg

Basically, I booted my PowerBook G4 Aluminum 1.25Ghz with Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther", and booted the commercial x86 emulator Virtual PC, on which I had installed Windows XP. In Windows I activated the PearPC emulator and successfully booted from a Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar" boot CD.

How did it run? Unbearably, terrifyingly slow would be an understatement. Mac OS X is no speed demon on older Macs, never mind when being emulated on an emulated processor (a 'cat /proc/cpu' in Linux shows my powerbook emulating a 250Mhz Pentium II) The boot process from the CD took about 2 hours.

At first I actually tried to boot from the Panther install CDs in order to install Mac OS X 10.3 on a dummy hard drive image, but after 8 hours of waiting for the installer to actually start....well....installling, I decided to create a bootable compact disk using BootCD. Unfortunately BootCD only supports MacOS X 10.2, hence no Panther on PearPC.

Regardless, I think it's pretty neat. Now all I need to do is fire up VPC with Windows in the emulated Mac in the emulated PC on the real Mac :D.
STKD
Student Driver

Post by STKD »

Darn, beat me to trying a VM. ;)
Actually I had a slightly more tricky-but-fun plan. I would've had Windows XP running a Knoppix Linux machine under VMware, then PearPC running OS X on that.
Ah, wacky technical `what would happen if I did..." scenarios. Love 'em. :)
CaptainValor

Post by CaptainValor »

That's pretty f-ed up man, lol. Great work, though. :)

Man I love VMware. I wish somebody (not necessary but hopefully the folks here at PearPC) would make a Mac OS X plugin for VMware. It's just an all-around better emulator. But hey, what do I care. I've got it running now with this software just fine. :wink:
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Interesting senario.....
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Intresting Project 3 OS in 1 System...Good job
Jhipolito
Student Driver

WOW

Post by Jhipolito »

That is too funny...

Always wondered how fast (or SLOW) it would be 8O

Thanks for the report :)
simonjhall
Inquisitive Elf

Post by simonjhall »

sveinbjorn, what you want to do now is to run a Mac build of PearPC within the emulated Mac and run MacOS just one more time :) That's when it'd really grind!
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

I'm not aware of any "Mac builds" of PPC at this time. But I suppose you could compile the linux version on OS X and run it using X11. :?
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

CaptainValor wrote:I'm not aware of any "Mac builds" of PPC at this time. But I suppose you could compile the linux version on OS X and run it using X11. :?
Would have no dynrec so slow would be the word.

You could load virtual pc on a mac, boot bochs and run XP through bochs, then use pearpc to load osx, then virtual pc again so you can play dreamcast games on chanka.
Slice
Student Driver

Post by Slice »

Captain Valor wrote:Man I love VMware. I wish somebody (not necessary but hopefully the folks here at PearPC) would make a Mac OS X plugin for VMware. It's just an all-around better emulator. But hey, what do I care. I've got it running now with this software just fine.
Not going to happen. VMware is a PC virtualization software (like VirtualPC for Windows), not a full emulator (like Bochs).

---

Here is my contribution to this thread: Windows for Workgroups v3.1 running in SoftPC on Basilisk II running on Windows 95 running in VMware on Windows XP. I also tried running Basilisk II on Win95 and 98 in VirtualPC, but it either crashed or didn't get past the Mac boot screen.
simonjhall
Inquisitive Elf

Post by simonjhall »

You've just gotta squeeze *one* more virtual computer in there to make it the perfect machine - can't you run some kinda console emulator in there (in Win3.1) to round it off? :D
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

That's really cool!
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Yeah, he could run an old version of MAME inside Win3.1, but it would probably crash. ;)
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

He could run Fusion in ms-dos under win3.1
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

...just in time to see his processor walk out of the box with its hands above its head...
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
Slice
Student Driver

Post by Slice »

The problem is that SoftPC emulates only a 286, and most emulators require at least a 386.