Openbios commands

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

win.exe
Tinkerer

Openbios commands

Post by win.exe »

I’m installing Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 together on the same hard drive so how can I boot one of them at openbios prompt?
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Re: Openbios commands

Post by darthnvader »

Short answer is don't do it that way, or at least partition the disc.

Only one system on a disc/partition can be blessed at a time.

Otherwise you'll have to provide the absolute path to the :tbxi.

I.E.

Code: Select all

boot hd:,\System\Library\CoreServices\:tbxi
or
boot hd:,\System Folder\:tbxi
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... seems to me that it should be possible to use/write a bootloader that could be blessed as well. Anyone up for that?
win.exe
Tinkerer

Post by win.exe »

darthnvader wrote:Short answer is don't do it that way, or at least partition the disc.

I.E.

or
Actually what I’m doing is putting Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X Panther on different partitions.
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typo
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

In certain situations the start-up disk utility works when both are installed on different partitions. But I can't remember exactly which ;-)
I believe it had to do with the mac os 9 disk drivers that need to be installed on the OSX partitition.

I have an image of a real G3 mac hard disk with 10.3 and 9.1 in different partitions and there it does not work. I noticed it uses a different boot path from disks that were installed with qemu.

Restart in Mac OS does no work, so after selecting another start-up disk, you still have to stop and start Qemu. It does work from OSX though.

Best,
Cat_7
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

madreamer wrote:
darthnvader wrote:Short answer is don't do it that way, or at least partition the disc.

I.E.

or
Actually what I’m doing is putting Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X Panther on different partitions.
Ok, then just specify the partition number:

I.E>

boot hd:9,\\:tbxi 
for portion 9
or
boot hd:6,\\:tbxi 
for portion 6
also
dir hd:8,\
for a directory of patition 8, and so forth to find the partition numbers of your boot volumes.

And too....
If you have a second disk, rather than a partitioned disk, on the second ATA Controller, there is no alias to that disk, so you have to specify the absolute  Openbios path:

boot /pci/mac-io/@20000/@1:,\\:tbxi
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I found useful stuff in https://books.google.ca/books?id=S_OSYV ... 22&f=false

According to this, by default, the boot-command value is mac-boot, which picks the first file of type tbxi it can find to boot. Since the first file will always be /System/Library/CoreServices/BootX as \\ maps to /System/Library/CoreServices by default, it will never find the Mac OS 9 /System Folder/ path. The control panel/settings panel Startup Disk appears to change the path value for \\ to the appropriate folder to boot from in NVRAM. Since we're not initializing NVRAM properly in QEMU, this information can get lost.
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

adespoton wrote:I found useful stuff in https://books.google.ca/books?id=S_OSYV ... 22&f=false

According to this, by default, the boot-command value is mac-boot, which picks the first file of type tbxi it can find to boot. Since the first file will always be /System/Library/CoreServices/BootX as \\ maps to /System/Library/CoreServices by default, it will never find the Mac OS 9 /System Folder/ path. The control panel/settings panel Startup Disk appears to change the path value for \\ to the appropriate folder to boot from in NVRAM. Since we're not initializing NVRAM properly in QEMU, this information can get lost.
The Startup Disc Control panel does something more, when it blesses the disc, both Openbios and Open Firmware respect the blesses :tbxi, and as we know, Openbios has no NVRAM to save the selection to.

Meaning something has to get written to the disc when the :tbxi file is blessed.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I just gave dual boot a try. It seems it only works through the start disk CP when both 10.4 and 9.2 are installed on the same partition.

Best,
Cat_7
afberendsen
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afberendsen »